Macs are better. Prove it, and fix my problem.(Vise X issue)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Silverfish

Macs are better. Prove it, and fix my problem.(Vise X issue)

Post by Silverfish » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:12 am

I'm starting to get really pissed at all computers. PCs don't work. Macs don't work. Grrr.... I'm moving to hardware.

Anyway, I'm trying to update NI's Spektral Delay and Vokator (both of which run fine in standalone, but the vst won't be recognized by Live), but the Vise X installer crashes every time it gets to the actual installation. I realize this is probably a Vise X issue, but what the hell can I do to fix it? I repaired permissions, and that didn't fix it. I redownloaded the update installers for the apps, and that didn't fix it. Any solutions?

Thanks, again.

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:23 am

Are you on an Intel Mac?
Running what OS?

4ace

Re: Macs are better. Prove it, and fix my problem.(Vise X is

Post by 4ace » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:32 am

Silverfish wrote: Anyway, I'm trying to update NI's .......
There's your FIRST problem.....Sorry but i've had bad problems with every NI product i've tried. But i digress.....

What are you using to decompress the installer??....Try a different program.

Just a thought because i've read recently about problems others are having with certain programs.

Good Luck
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

aizo

Post by aizo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:17 am

why do you not use the AU version of the file? it's apple's native plugin format....
ImageImage

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:44 am

@ e.maynard: oops. I always forget to post my specs. Anyway, 2gHz C2D iMac, OS X 10.5.4.

@ 4ace: You can do that? hmm... (new to this Mac business). Using the built-in zip decompressor. I'll try something else.

@ aizo: I thought about that, however, I'll be using a PC laptop for performances, so I don't really wanna mess too much any incompatibilities there may be if I go back and forth with sets. Hopefully in the near future this problem will be solved with a Macbook Pro. :D

Thank you!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:22 am

There are no UB versions of those plugins I think.
They're not even being supported or sold anymore afaik.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:45 pm

@hoffman2k: The NI site claims UB updates exist, however as of early this morning my browser and the NI download page weren't really communicating very well.

Will the non-UB version run on the latest OS X update? I was under the impression the answer was no, however they'll run standalone just fine.

Also, your series on a live set has been really helpful! thanks!

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 pm

Problem solved. There's an installer patch for Leopard on the NI site. That did the trick. The next issue is getting Live to recognize that Spektral Delay and Vokator are in the default VST folder location.

Thanks!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Silverfish wrote:@hoffman2k: The NI site claims UB updates exist, however as of early this morning my browser and the NI download page weren't really communicating very well.

Will the non-UB version run on the latest OS X update? I was under the impression the answer was no, however they'll run standalone just fine.

Also, your series on a live set has been really helpful! thanks!
Ah cool. I couldn't find any references on the site. Glad you found a working installer.

Thanks for the compliments. I'll have an update for the article tomorrow.

Cheers

- Bjorn

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:32 pm

Sorry to hijack.
rant on
Another demonstration that the Software Industry is most of the times responsible of malfunctioning. This is the only industry where products are sold when they are not ready for the market. it's not PC vs Mac anymore: it's quality against crap. With today's CPU power our PC/Macs should fly instead of being slow as pig. It's all because of the crappy OSes, full of unoptimized code, because we have plenty of CPU power to use....
rant off
To the poster, I'm glad you solved the issue!

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:40 pm

Pasha, you make a very valid point.

Part of my frustration has been switching to Mac, and being very excited for things to "just work". When they didn't "just work" I realized this will be only slightly different. New system, new problems. *sigh* Perhaps I should save up for more hardware. :D

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:53 pm

ah....the switch.....

unfortunately, plugins aren't plugins.

I have not been able to help any friend or production buddy move from PC to MAC successfully, because plugins aren't plugins.

It is true that AU works better....sometimes..... certainly for NI stuff. Unfortunately though for other plugins VST works better. (Arturia).

When asked the question 'which plugins can you load on a pc and on a mac and they can share presets' the answer is very few. few enough that if this is a production requirement then the production requirement WILL get in your way.

Ableton users seem to want to do this more than any other user...maybe because the other two major sequencing platforms (LOGIC and CUBASE) are polarised between two OS platforms, and LOGIC only loads AU / runs on MAC anyway.

The truth, however, is that unless you limit yourself to a small number of VST plugins that you know work on both, the platform transparency will be just beyond your grasp.

As for VST locations; check your preferences in LIVE. You have a couple of places you can store VSTs.

There is the 'system wide' location

/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST

(this is where all of mine are)

the 'user folder' location

/Users/(YOUR SHORT USERNAME)/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

and the not so commonly used VST CUSTOM FOLDER which you can customise in Live but needs to be in a path that you have permissions for. (but then you couldn't create it unless you had permission to)

Stick to the 'system wide' installation option (which is where NI should have put the plugins) and don't move them.

ironwill2000

Re: Macs are better. Prove it, and fix my problem.(Vise X issue)

Post by ironwill2000 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:50 pm

Silverfish wrote:I'm starting to get really pissed at all computers. PCs don't work. Macs don't work. Grrr.... I'm moving to hardware.

Anyway, I'm trying to update NI's Spektral Delay and Vokator

Thanks, again.
Pardon the OT but where in the world is everyone still getting Vokator? I don't do warez and I am just looking for a place to BUY it.

Thanks

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:10 pm

Vokator and Spektral Delay were part of Komplete 4. If NI were smart (which I think they've proven otherwise with some decisions in the past *cough* Kore 1 *cough*), they'd either sell a replacement for both apps or just give them away. They're both really wonderful plugs, neither of which I've even begun to tap the full potential.

Still, Live currently won't recognize either plugin in my folder, after a fresh install and update. Is it an Ableton issue, or a NI issue?

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:42 am

Silverfish wrote:Vokator and Spektral Delay were part of Komplete 4. If NI were smart (which I think they've proven otherwise with some decisions in the past *cough* Kore 1 *cough*), they'd either sell a replacement for both apps or just give them away. They're both really wonderful plugs, neither of which I've even begun to tap the full potential.

Still, Live currently won't recognize either plugin in my folder, after a fresh install and update. Is it an Ableton issue, or a NI issue?
Hi Silverfish, I have came across this in the past. Live 7.xx will recognize VST that adhere to 2.4 specification (Sampletank VST 2.1 was not a 2.4 VST and it didn't work until 2.2 that is a 2.4 VST Certified plug-in). Moreover, Live 7 is UB and will not accept anything else than UB. If you install a PowerPC PlugIn it won't be recognized because (in my experience) Rosetta works for Applications (for example Microsoft Remote Access for PowerPC works great) but not for Plug-In (Korg X-50 VST Plug-in does not work under a UB Live, while the application with same purpose from Korg does). AU always worked for me and I'm not so expert about it, so far all AU (UB) that I have installed were easy and worked fine. Leopard 10.5.4 introduced some security enhancements and I have seen some complaints around about installers not working.

- Hope it helps
- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers