OT: airplay from a big name act. should i get my hopes up?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

OT: airplay from a big name act. should i get my hopes up?

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:19 am

So, i recently found out that one of the tracks i'd made freely available through some music blogs a few months ago, has gotten some airplay by a certain quite influential electronic music duo, whose name rhymes with "bristol wet thud" (i could never be a rapper).

Anyways... as you would imagine, that's quite exciting, in terms of exposure. So I've tried to get in touch with the guys in the past couple of days, sadly, to no avail. I know these dudes have super busy schedules, so sometimes i wonder if i should really get my hopes up and expect this to be some sort of huge boost, or just get in the mindset that it was kind of a fluke, and these guys will never write back.

PS: If anyone here would just so happen to have a recording of their Community Service Playlist radio show for February 1st, 2008 (evidence of the support!) i would be highly appreciative of the hookup!

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:05 am

That's very cool and hopefully just a start. Even if they don't get back to you they still picked your song out of probably thousands of other tracks they could have played, and you aren't even on a label! ...or at least I think you aren't. Regardless, that's awesome.

PS. My new boss is from Puerto Rico. Do you know Juan?

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:21 am

beats me wrote:That's very cool and hopefully just a start. Even if they don't get back to you they still picked your song out of probably thousands of other tracks they could have played, and you aren't even on a label! ...or at least I think you aren't. Regardless, that's awesome.

PS. My new boss is from Puerto Rico. Do you know Juan?
thanks homey. quite sure some good things will come out of this. Just gotta have a bit of patience i reckon. We'll see what happens

and :lol: @ "do you know juan". :P

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:22 am

...and would you mind sharing with us which track it is?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:23 am

ya gottah capitalize on that shit yo

gigs gigs gigs

'yeah man my shits being played byt he meth'

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:50 am

That's awesome, man, time to start playing your tunes out YOURSELF.

See you on the 31st.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:30 pm

sparklepuff wrote:That's awesome, man, time to start playing your tunes out YOURSELF.

See you on the 31st.
working on it :)

i have to admit i have pretty much slacked this past year, in terms of getting some gigs here, but that stops now. Hustle mode is on

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:06 pm

oh and the track is:
Misterio (formerly known as Mr. Sparkle Morris) - Star Crash (Nathan Vice Rmx)

you can get it (along with some of my other tunes) from this post
http://electrorash.com/nathan-vice-makes-chunky-music/

:)

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:02 am

I had a couple of tracks out a few years back that got played and charted by quite a few pretty big DJs and the one thing I got from the whole experience is that if they like your tune then they usually are interested in finding out more about you and want to know if you have any more music, but you have to keep it up and just keep putting more out to back it up or they will lose interest pretty quick

keep your finger on the pulse - and if you aren't up to speed with labels etc then team up with a DJ who is and ask him who to send it to

I had a lot of life shit happen and fell out of the loop and haven't really bothered since, but my mate who co-produced one of the tracks (who is also the DJ who told me the labels to send it to which ended up signing them) just kept going and churning them out week after week and he is doing really, really well now

I guess it depends on the style and scene though, but that's what I found with house music

I guess the point being, no matter how exciting individual responses can be, you have to capitalise on them and back them up if you want to keep it going

so in other words, yes do contact them

madhattared

Post by madhattared » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:38 am

wicked,

why the rhymes with? i don't listen to hip hop so i have no idea who you are talking about.
Live 7 hackintosh 10.5.2 q6600 raptor 4gig x3d pk FW410 bcr2k xboard49 Ultrasone DJ1 BM5a

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:51 am

thanks for the tip forge. i have a tendency to just get lazy about that sort of thing and let things just slip through the cracks. I'll be more on top of it this time around
madhattared wrote: why the rhymes with? i don't listen to hip hop so i have no idea who you are talking about.
i just didnt want to "name drop", since this isnt a thread aimed at showing off or anything, just trying to get some general wisdom, so i figured i'd thrown in those 3 random words and let everyone figure out who these guys are by rhyming... i thought it was pretty obvious, actually.

bristol wet thud... rhymes with Crystal Method. :P

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:52 am

forge wrote:but my mate who co-produced one of the tracks (who is also the DJ who told me the labels to send it to which ended up signing them) just kept going and churning them out week after week....
8O That is possibly the scariest thing I have ever read on this forum.

But I think once somebody really gets down their style and production habits then they can churn out songs pretty quickly, especially in the low substance sub genres of some house music...phat bass, kick, snare, some hats, chop-chop-chop done. No offense to any house producers on here. I didn't say all house music is like that, just a good percentage.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:06 am

beats me wrote:
forge wrote:but my mate who co-produced one of the tracks (who is also the DJ who told me the labels to send it to which ended up signing them) just kept going and churning them out week after week....
8O That is possibly the scariest thing I have ever read on this forum.

But I think once somebody really gets down their style and production habits then they can churn out songs pretty quickly, especially in the low substance sub genres of some house music...phat bass, kick, snare, some hats, chop-chop-chop done. No offense to any house producers on here. I didn't say all house music is like that, just a good percentage.
actually he is one of the people I respect deeply as one of the most genuine

I'm really not saying it's like a sausage machine, he is one of these people who spends all his spare time going through charity shops looking for obscure 70s and 80s funk and soul records that nobody has ever heard of and he is just obsessive and really really loves music, so for him it just flows - in fact it can't wait to get out of him!

I tend to get bogged down in technical things and sidetracked way too easily - but I come from a different angle and I don;t think I'm into the club scene enough

no I'm not saying anyone should force themselves to 'churn them out' by any stretch - the point I was making was more that he doesnt get too tied to single tracks, he just gets them done, sends them off then moves on to the next thing where I would have spend 3 months on one thing and flog it to death until I hate it and hide it away and it never sees the light of day - I have I think hundreds of things like this

he is also one of these people who only upgrades when I persuade him to because he's usually perfectly happy with what he has - when I met him he was making beats on one of those little QY-77 things until I got him using Acid, SOund Forge and reason (then of course ultimately Live) but he would have just kept going on anything if I hadn't interfered because he was just so into the music and the tools didn't matter while I was into the tools more

I have always been really envious of that in him - but ironically he said something similar in an interview about me from the technical point of view - so it shows, that;s a really good case in point for why it's good to work with other people or at least get their input

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:19 am

Yeah, I'm envious of people that can churn things out at whatever pace. I had those days too once myself, many moons ago. And I understand getting bogged down by life, over analyzing songs and not wanting to put anything out there unless it's completely at par with whatever or every song made public has to be a potential hit in your mind.

But we're getting off track here, so big ups again to Nathan!! :D

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:23 am

aqua_tek wrote:oh and the track is:
Misterio (formerly known as Mr. Sparkle Morris) - Star Crash (Nathan Vice Rmx)

you can get it (along with some of my other tunes) from this post
http://electrorash.com/nathan-vice-makes-chunky-music/

:)
I don't think I've heard that one before. Nice. You are the master of the funky stab and glitch breaks. Great examples of taking the same themes and mixing them up.