Opinions on EQ8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Moody wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:for an EQ that colours the sound, i like EQ8 .. for clean EQ its sonnox for me.

i dont like bands 3 & 6 on EQ 8. band 4 sounds the best in my opinion.. band 1,2, 5, 7 & 8 are above average.
Are you saying each filter is different? And, is this documented? Thanks!
joking maybe?

sounds silly.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:20 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
Moody wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:for an EQ that colours the sound, i like EQ8 .. for clean EQ its sonnox for me.

i dont like bands 3 & 6 on EQ 8. band 4 sounds the best in my opinion.. band 1,2, 5, 7 & 8 are above average.
Are you saying each filter is different? And, is this documented? Thanks!
joking maybe?

sounds silly.

.lm.
:?
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

RawTheory

Post by RawTheory » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:45 pm

EQ8 is good and I use it a lot but I know there are better eqs out there. The Compressor is excellent actually. Saturater, Simple and Ping Pong Delay, Auto Filter, and Erosion are the best Ableton has to offer IMO.
http://rawtheory.bandcamp.com/
i7 920, 12 gig ram, Live 8, Reaper, Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Maschine, Trilian

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:50 pm

I think that as of v7, EQ8 has really upped the game. Prior versions were ok for live use, but not for production. As of v7, you have nodes, and the best thing...HQ mode. Man that mode sweetens a lot of hard cuts and what not.

As of v7, EQ8 is the first one I reach for, and then if it doesn't suit me, then I go to Kjaerhus. In live situations, I use EQ8 as my main filter, and I do all sorts of filter sweeps and even emulate 303 basslines with it. Really versatile.

As for other effects, same goes for most of the effects, especially those with HQ options. And the Compressor with side-chain is great too. As fro Reverb, I can't say because I use ArtsAcoustic reverb as my main reverb, and nothing really comes close to that.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:20 pm

I use the fuck out of EQ 8, along with most Ableton FX.

I think many people want some kind of expensive magic eq that makes things sound better than they are with just 3 knobs.

I make crazy customized curves before and after effects chains.

It's got a great interface for precision.

The key is creativity, with a decent CPU, you can chain and mangle effects so much, come up with new groups - and then chain those!

Many ppl prolly don't remember when an ~ok~ 10 band EQ was $400, for one instance only!

Overpriced mixers that hissed, mis-matched signal levels, bad cables, etc...

Having nice effects that you can chain & instantly recall at will = awesome.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:56 pm

EQ8 is really good for an in the box FX. I use it quite a lot. I have other, more expensive EQs and I favour using those on mastering, but for track EQing, the EQ8 is really good.

The modulation fx are weak compared to Samplitude and Logic. Ditto the reverb (in those 2 plus Sonar). Although the reverb can be improved when it is racked, some of the audio fx racks using Live's reverb are good.

Live 7's updated compressor is probably the best in the box compressor of any DAW I have used. Much improved from Live 6. But I still sometimes go for other compressors depending on the character I want.

The delays in Live are quite good, and stuff like the autofilter is fine (and better in L7 for having the sidechain).
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

jbible

Post by jbible » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:28 am

EQ3 & EQ8 are probably my two most used processing tools...period. And yes I am serious.
Live's reverb is really great too IMO. Sure I think my TC Fabrik reverb has a 'better' sound but Live's has its own benefits as well.
Not a big fan of Flanger/Phaser/Chorus fx overall.
experimedia.net - label and mailorder - 15% OFF THROUGH FEB 14TH
jeremybible.com | jeremy bible & jason henry

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:33 am

i get by fine with EQ8. Matter of fact, i get by fine with most of Live's effects.

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:38 am

roby wrote:

i like the gap band
Me too, but I hate the fact that the great Charlie Wilson is now relegated to being Snoop's backup singer/weed carrier.

STRATEGY

lola

Post by lola » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:00 pm

I really prefer this free one: http://www.aixcoustic.com/index.php/pos ... tion/30/0/
Instead of eq 8