Opinions on EQ8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eggnchips

Opinions on EQ8

Post by eggnchips » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:59 am

Being relatively new to production and having only ever used Ableton, I'm slowly beginning to realise that Ableton's effects aren't the best out there. So far I think that the Flanger,Filter and Reverb are quite below standard. Having never tried another equalizer, I was wondering what people think about EQ8 and whether there is another standard equalizer out there that the pros prefer to use?
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

mdk

Post by mdk » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:11 pm

i think the eq is fine, but you're right about the flanger and reverb...well the reverb is alright if you take it for what it is rather than expecting a lush, clean reverb like Arts Acoustic or compare it to a convolution based reverb. :)

I actually use the filter quite a lot, dont really see much of a problem with it, but it depends on what you want / need to do.

for another eq its definitely worth checking out IIEQ Pro

http://www.ddmf.eu/

lots of options, easy to use and best of all if you buy it you can choose how much you want to pay.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

cubehog

2 suggestions and a link

Post by cubehog » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:48 pm

I think, the Eq is fine. It does its job and the lack of an "analog character" isn´t that important to me.
From what I know an uad-card would suite best for your needs. If you are on a laptop than there are different fw-solutions, too. Duende, Liquid Mix. They all take the route of modelling analog gear. Powercore isn´t that great, except for a few additional plug-ins. They got 2 included nice sounding reverbs though. But it´s just my opinion. Other may have a experienced better reverbs. I think Psp has a lexikon-reverb plugin.

A native filter-plug-in I really love ist fabfilter volcano 2. Lots of opportunities still easy to use, imo. it has a very soft character, but if you turn up the input-volume that thing can be quite nasty. I like to use it on basslines, clicks and everything else with considerable amounts of attack.

A native eq recommendation with more "character" from my side would be the "AirEQ" by Eiosis. Lots of negative opnions about the price-tag and if it is "real" or not. But I give a .... about that. It has nice filter-characteristics that color the sound quite remarkably. Maybe you are looking for that.

These two native plug-ins sound very different compared to Ableton´s inhouse-effects and would add more variety to your palette.
I have some pretty decent reverbs on my poco-fw so I don´t know much about that.

I use the ableton reverb for artificial long, long reverb tails that alter the sound quite dramatically. So it is usable. It´s probably not the most realistic reverb but it is an animal on its own. That´s what I like about it.But to get a decent overview you should check http://www.kvraudio.com. Lots of plug-ins there to choose from.

And the fabfilter stuff is excellent if you want to get decent plug-ins not only the filter (they have timeless, pro-c, and a decent synth) for a relatively low price. And it is company that I think deserves more attention, imo.

der ivo

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:28 pm

I really like the EQ8 - I have a lot of the waves stuff and don't often feel the need to use the EQs

the compressor update stepped up too

I actually like the Reverb too, but as MDK said you take it for what it is

j2j

Post by j2j » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:45 pm

I don't know....

Tools are only going to get you so far..
Sure we could all use an SSL desk, and a patch rack... But,

Do you have any idea how many songs the crummy old reverb from cubase sx 1 is on?

Seriously, it is like a joke in " music production land " Reverb1 ( I think its called ) has been used on so many tracks, just for its vibe....

I am totally guilty of using cheap/free and very little expensive payware...

I am using lives, Reverb, Comp, and fx all the time...

Actually, only recently have I been thinking about investing a bit more cash in the old studio...

IMHO, if you are just heading down the road, getting out for your first run... You will be fine with lives built in FX for quite some time...
too many lasers...

Machinate

Re: Opinions on EQ8

Post by Machinate » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:50 pm

eggnchips wrote:Being relatively new to production and having only ever used Ableton, I'm slowly beginning to realise that Ableton's effects aren't the best out there. So far I think that the Flanger,Filter and Reverb are quite below standard.
I may catch a lot of flack for this, but it's not what you use, it's how you use it.

There have been blind tests on KVR where the ableton reverb actually did really well.

The filter is somewhat standard in that it doesn't have pre-filter saturation, and it doesn't self-oscillate, making it a "normal filter" - trust me, you'll hear MANY filters that sound way worse.

I personally think the flanger sounds really good. The flanger effect as a concept is way kliché, if you ask me, but not many of the available flangers will do sounds like this:
http://covops.org/mp3s/flange_env.mp3

And eq8 is really great, mon.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

spkey

Post by spkey » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:43 pm

/\ Agree.

I do not like the Flanger as an effect so don't know about it. I think the EQ is ok though not as sensitive as the Cubase EQ. The Reverb is quite ok especially if you add a tiny amount, I'm talking about 5% - 8%. If you dislike the Reverb so much try a few free ones before splashing the cash. Try Nebulae or make a search on the KVR forums.

roby

Post by roby » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:23 pm

i like EQ8, but i don't use it to enhance or boost things up, mainly for cutting frequencies, high-passing/low-passing, making things even, things like that. when i need to mold audio to make it sound better, then i'll grab a better EQ.

i'm also not a fan of the flanger, phaser and chorus, i don't think they are gritty enough; too clean. but they get used in situation where the effect is not as prominent.

the compressor is good, so is the filter.

Moody

Re: Opinions on EQ8

Post by Moody » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:28 pm

Machinate wrote:
eggnchips wrote:Being relatively new to production and having only ever used Ableton, I'm slowly beginning to realise that Ableton's effects aren't the best out there. So far I think that the Flanger,Filter and Reverb are quite below standard.
I may catch a lot of flack for this, but it's not what you use, it's how you use it.

There have been blind tests on KVR where the ableton reverb actually did really well.

The filter is somewhat standard in that it doesn't have pre-filter saturation, and it doesn't self-oscillate, making it a "normal filter" - trust me, you'll hear MANY filters that sound way worse.

I personally think the flanger sounds really good. The flanger effect as a concept is way kliché, if you ask me, but not many of the available flangers will do sounds like this:
http://covops.org/mp3s/flange_env.mp3

And eq8 is really great, mon.
Genius!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Warminstrel

Post by Warminstrel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Many moons ago I was lucky to borrow an old mains powered peddle called an Electric Mistress (still available today with puny mains adaptor power from Electroharmonix).

It had ma-hoosive filters that have made any subsequent hardware or peddle flangers/phasers sound flat let alone the new vst versions.

Could be that we all (some then) think back to the large use of analog chorus & flanges in the late 70's - 80's and judge all by that bench-mark?

Also, Live's reverb sounds pukka with the low end filtered out and some chorus applied.

roby

Post by roby » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:46 pm

Warminstrel wrote: Could be that we all (some then) think back to the large use of analog chorus & flanges in the late 70's - 80's and judge all by that bench-mark?
that's certainly me, i must confess...

Warminstrel

Post by Warminstrel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Nice one thread! :(

Now I have to get all me old Banshees and Cure albums digitised!! :evil:

Just finished doing the same with all me 2 Tone stuff...... now this!!
:twisted: :twisted:

When will it end?

Am I cursed?

Damn the 80's and all that it stands for!!

If only I'd gotten that little bit more fucked I'd have some extra memory loss and consequently more room on my hard drive!!

:roll: :twisted:

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:34 pm

for an EQ that colours the sound, i like EQ8 .. for clean EQ its sonnox for me.

i dont like bands 3 & 6 on EQ 8. band 4 sounds the best in my opinion.. band 1,2, 5, 7 & 8 are above average.

roby

Post by roby » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:54 pm

sweetjesus wrote:for an EQ that colours the sound, i like EQ8 .. for clean EQ its sonnox for me.

i dont like bands 3 & 6 on EQ 8. band 4 sounds the best in my opinion.. band 1,2, 5, 7 & 8 are above average.
i like the gap band

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:29 pm

sweetjesus wrote:for an EQ that colours the sound, i like EQ8 .. for clean EQ its sonnox for me.

Are you saying each filter is different? And, is this documented? Thanks!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.