Live midi sync, how's it treating you?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

how's your stability?

epic fail, 1 or more devices will not sync to Live
11%
1 device works, others don't sync to Live
3%
my gear syncs to Live but it's not steady
56%
lots of devices sync to Live, no problem
13%
I slave Live to my gear, Live still sucks
1%
I slave Live, it works perfectly
8%
I don't have external gear, I just wanted to let you know that you're a tool.
9%

Total votes: 79

theque

Post by theque » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:13 am

this is the number one thing i want fixed in live. benn broken for years. i hoped th rewriting of the midi engine in v7 would fix it but no.

i would like to hear something from the abes about it, at least a recognition of the problem and a we are working on it.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:41 am

7.0.7 (haven't downloaded the update yet)

does it count that I'm using live to send tape sync signal to my mc-202 and it works perfectly? I know this thread is about midi sync but maybe this could somehow add some insight to the problem as we know that audio itself isn't drifting (if it did drift then the tape sync signal would fowl up pretty bad) or not.

windows xp
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

sroom3000

Post by sroom3000 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:34 pm

yup, I've been struggling with this problem for years. It's absolutely maddening to me.
I've wasted so much time updating drivers, switching out audio/midi interfaces, combing forums, etc, in attempt to remedy this ridiculous problem, all to no avail.

I've tried Live as master, as slave, still drifts. Arrghghrhrhhhh!!!

It seems insane to pay so much for a DAW that can't handle simple midi clock. My ancient $60 Alesis MMT8 is as steady as a Rolex, so why can't a $500 program do it?

I'm currently sequencing an Access Virus B from Live and everything will be fine for awhile and then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, all of the sequenced virus parts lose time. ugh.

Please, please, please, fix this Ableton. I'm begging you! It's obviously a HUGE problem and should be #1 on your list of fixes. #1 I TELL YOU!!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:56 pm

once again having fun with the mpc until I fire up Live (reboot 3 times to get the SL to work and not crash, fuck you very much), and I'm sitting here fucking around with midi sync and it's a big fucking FAIL.

slow the bpm waaay down, get the metronomes to line up, then speed it up and it's off. IOW the milliseconds of delay is also tempo dependent. R-E-T-A-R-D-E-D.

!!!!!!!!!zurückgeblieben!!!!!!!

I'm really trying to have a sober session here, this is not fucking helping!!

/harumph
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:53 am

Sorry to see that your 11000th post was such a negative dig at Live Tone.

Hope to see it rectified soon.

If not, this is one of those issues that can force customers to jump ship, or stay away in droves.

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:06 am

Im moving right now so my mpc is packed up. I'm thinking of putting together a live set of my own and i really want the mpc along side of it. Imo the mpc has a decent sequencer that would compliment live nicely. In the end I might rewire Live into Logic as a workaround. Has anybody tried this???
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:34 am

which version of Live are you using? 7.0.9
what's your midi interface? Midisport 4x4, Kore controller, PadKontrol, Remote SL
what gear is synced up? Lintronics mod Memorymoog
what's master, what's slave? Live as master, moog slave
loop or song mode? syncing LFO, modulation etc.
MME or DirectMusic? Core MIDI
MIDI clock or MIDI Time Code? Midi Clock
do you sync Live to Live on other peoples' machines? how's that working? Haven't tried it, since it was more about my friend adding little clips to my stuff, he just used tap tempo

For what I use it for it works OK, but obviously I'm just getting/wanting ballpark numbers instead of pinpoint accuracy.
I only use sync for beat clock, and almost always to slave an LFO to tempo.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:46 am

Sibanger wrote:Sorry to see that your 11000th post was such a negative dig at Live Tone.

Hope to see it rectified soon.

If not, this is one of those issues that can force customers to jump ship, or stay away in droves.
that's funny I didn't notice the 11,000 posts. time to join Dominik's 'going to go kill myself' thread.

it's just zurückgeblieben (retarded.) midi is fundamental and ancient. it's like that video of the chick who sees rainbow in her sprinkler for the first time "vas is das 'midi sync' dat est done?' NEINE!

I'll find a way to make it workable but using an MPC has been a nice break from bootup times and devices not automapping on the first launch of an application.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

idealist

Post by idealist » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:17 pm

i get a delay know when changing the clips, anybody knows somerthing about that?
It's all the time prefect, but when I change a clip it gets a delay, when I change again it get's another one, sometimes after changing 4 to 8 times it gets correct again...

(the same happens when live makes a loop in the arrangement view)

What can I do? Why now, why didn't I have this problem before?

Live 7.07
Setup Macbook Pro 2.33
Fireface 400
XBase888 (but it should be the same with my 808 or 303, didn't try ot out yet)

It's strange, never had this bug before, but maybe i didn't realize because i allways recorded my 808 before changing any clips in live...

idealist

Post by idealist » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:33 pm

everything works again :D , seemed to be a corrupted Liveset file....

funk313

Post by funk313 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:15 pm

Ableton is drifting....and im FREAKIN SICK AND TIRED OF IT!! Dont get me wrong I absolutely love this prg..but how the FAK am i going to use this in a live situation??
I mean Live was made for doing stuff live right? ARRG!!! so i did a little bassline on my hardware Pro-One (yeah there is actually some of us that still uses HARDWARE SYNTHs!!)... alongside a drumrack track, took some pix and uploaded the track..

Oh yeah and btw im gonna SPAM every thread i can find about this problem..F the economic crisis, F global warming, F rising food prices, F Iraq and F everything else..the F-ing UN have to step up now and solve this WORLD crisis or ableton at least!!

Heres my setup:

MacBook Pro running Leopard
Ableton Live 7.0.10
Tc Konnekt Live Interfacae
In this case its hooked up to my Kenton Pro Solo controlling a Sequential Pro-one
hardware synth

LISTEN: ARRG!!just scroll the damn track..

http://listic.dk/p.hilla/Ableton%20is%2 ... afuka!.mp3

SETTINGS:

FIRST COUPLE OF BARS:

LAST COUPLE OF BARS: WHAT A BIAITCH!

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:50 pm

funk313 wrote:Ableton is drifting....and im FREAKIN SICK AND TIRED OF IT!! Dont get me wrong I absolutely love this prg..but how the FAK am i going to use this in a live situation??
I mean Live was made for doing stuff live right? ARRG!!! so i did a little bassline on my hardware Pro-One (yeah there is actually some of us that still uses HARDWARE SYNTHs!!)... alongside a drumrack track, took some pix and uploaded the track..

Oh yeah and btw im gonna SPAM every thread i can find about this problem..F the economic crisis, F global warming, F rising food prices, F Iraq and F everything else..the F-ing UN have to step up now and solve this WORLD crisis or ableton at least!!

Heres my setup:

MacBook Pro running Leopard
Ableton Live 7.0.10
Tc Konnekt Live Interfacae
In this case its hooked up to my Kenton Pro Solo controlling a Sequential Pro-one
hardware synth

LISTEN: ARRG!!just scroll the damn track..

http://listic.dk/p.hilla/Ableton%20is%2 ... afuka!.mp3

SETTINGS:

FIRST COUPLE OF BARS:

LAST COUPLE OF BARS: WHAT A BIAITCH!
Tried to listen but link not working-
Not Found
The requested URL /p.hilla/Ableton is drifting like a drunk muthafuka was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Maybe it won't open cause of the fucking midi drift.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:06 pm

which version of Live are you using?

what's your midi interface?
Korg Padkontrol

what gear is synced up?
Microkorg
Nordlead2x

what's master, what's slave?
Live is master

loop or song mode?
both

MME or DirectMusic?
What?

MIDI clock or MIDI Time Code?
Clock i think... no to be honest I dont know

do you sync Live to Live on other peoples' machines? how's that working?
no not yet

What happens is I use ableton to programme the two synths (USB > PadKontrol Midi Out > MicroKorg Midi in > Micro Korg Midi Thru > Nord Lead 2x) All is fine, but when I start editing parametres (like filter cutoff, LFO's etc) the CPU jumps like a mother.. i mean wayyyyy high. The whole sound goes insane, like its playin 3000 notes a seconds. In other words, it sounds like death.
***THIS ONLY HAPPENS IF IM NOT USING THE DRAW TOOL (PENCIL) TO AUTOMATE MIDI PARAMETRES ***

Also, good thread.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:09 pm

Ugh - thank you for posting your visual example.

I have the same experience.

I was trying to create midi swing templates with the MPC and the SP until I realized there was no f-ing point because the drift in Live is ridiculous. It drifts off within 8 bars, WTF? Useless.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:22 pm

Problems at the moment slaving one Live off another... I got a whole thread about it around here somewhere...
err... Here
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com