FS: Super Custom Live PA/DJ setup $1,000 (RME/Ecler)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
John Sweet

FS: Super Custom Live PA/DJ setup $1,000 (RME/Ecler)

Post by John Sweet » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:57 pm

My loss, your gain. One of the ultimate Ableton DJ/Live PA setups: An RME Multiface II sound card running 5 stereo channels into an Ecler Nuo4 mixer/MIDI controller, with a lot of hidden extras.

There's a built-in USB2 hub with 5 available ports and an APC surge protector with a $10,000 lifetime warranty for any connected hardware. You plug a single power cord into the wall, plus USB and the PC card to your laptop, and you're ready to go with no further tweaking or connections. You can plug into the house system out of the Nuo4 with XLR, 1/4", or RCA connections. Any other USB gear or things that use AC power can plug into the platform under the mixer.

There are also tons of customizations in the included .als template and automap.txt files. This Nuo4 has been configured to automap to any effect or rack in any Live project. The template file sends 4 stereo session view channels through Monster cables to the Nuo4, plus a send/return channel using the Multiface's headphone output connected to the Nuo4 center channel. You fire clips onscreen using the Nuo buttons, and you can hide the mixer controls in Ableton because you won't need them. Instead, you'll be using the gorgeous analog summing bus in the Nuo4, plus its great-sounding EQs with the big chunky smooth knobs. If you're familiar with how different the harsh response curve in Live's EQ3 is from the response of a nice DJ mixer, you know what I mean. The Nuo4 is cool because it gives you the best of both worlds--a compact house mixer-style layout and feel together with battle mixer-style faders and fader curve/reverse adjustments. The cut-in adjustment on the crossfader can be tweaked right down to almost nothing, so crabs and other cuts are super-easy. I spent a couple months tweaking all the MIDI assignments between the Nuo and Live to get a really nice balance going. I then made a custom card in Photoshop for the insert that makes it really easy to tell what's what.

So there it is: the Multiface II/PCMCIA, 4 stereo Monster cables, 1 HOSA 1/4"-RCA cable, a 7-port Belkin USB2 hub, and an APC surge protector all mounted in a low-profile wooden platform with big rubber feet below the NUO4, PLUS my template file with custom effects PLUS the automap.txt file that maps to the MIDI knobs on the NUO. It's a ton of control, modularity, and sound quality in a tight package (airline carry-on compliant) with zero setup time. If I wasn't moving, I would never sell it. $1300 [EDIT-now $1000].

All original cables, manuals, materials, and packaging for the Multiface and Nuo4 are included.

Last edited by John Sweet on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:23 pm

Just thought I'd give this one a bump.

If you can get to NYC to pick it up I'd be happy to give you the full tour of all the custom tricks in the mapping and software setup.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:42 pm

One more bump for the super discount at $1,000.

kpa

Post by kpa » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:28 pm

thats looks/sounds like a nice setup, and (relatively) not too expensive (although more expensive this month than last due to weak GB£).

bit bulky though, im more headed the way of slimming everything down, just to use midi controllers (ideally a lemur one day).

Good luck with the sale.

kpa
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha