Monome

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
chalkline

Monome

Post by chalkline » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:22 am

Just wondering if anyone here is using a monome? I have just built my 40h kit, but not used it with live yet, still messing with mlr and a few other apps for it.
Anyone got it properly hooked up into live? So far loving the strange little box.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:34 am

I've been on the waiting list for one for about 6 months so far; I can't see me getting one any time before next January *sulk*

From what I've seen ,they're just fantastic, and perfect for using with Live.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:38 pm

I use a 128. I use aesoterics mod of Mlr and rewire it into Ableton Live. Works super good. You can use sliders, or midi_128 to control anything in Live!! also look at the app called bounce, and route that into drum racks..so fun!

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:15 pm

logic_user99 wrote:I've been on the waiting list for one for about 6 months so far; I can't see me getting one any time before next January *sulk*

I'm on the same waiting list and got an email a few weeks ago letting me know they should be ready any second now, but I still haven't gotten their "buy or die" email confirming that it is ready.

But after such a long wait I don't know if I'm into it anymore. It seems so 2007 and limited when you consider the rumor of an Apple touch pad coming out.

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:27 pm

beats me wrote:
logic_user99 wrote:I've been on the waiting list for one for about 6 months so far; I can't see me getting one any time before next January *sulk*

I'm on the same waiting list and got an email a few weeks ago letting me know they should be ready any second now, but I still haven't gotten their "buy or die" email confirming that it is ready.

But after such a long wait I don't know if I'm into it anymore. It seems so 2007 and limited when you consider the rumor of an Apple touch pad coming out.
The monome is not limited at all, in fact there is an app in the works for djing, where the monome (depending on size) will be regionally split up like two decks, complete also with a cross fader, and effects kaoss style. Any way, it just shows the creativity and potential of a growing app creating community. Hardly limited. The 256 waiting list is due to start sending out invoices on August 1st. After that there is no more waiting list, they dropped it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm not saying the monome isn't useful or interesting in it's possibilities. I'm saying after being on a waiting list for almost 8 months now and new gear being released and announced all the time I don't find it that exciting anymore, and all that down time has made me ponder on exactly how much value added I would personally get out of it. It's definitely a think outside the box product to really take advantage of the possibilities and I have enough speed bumps trying to use things that work inside the box.

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:58 pm

I guess it comes down to your personal taste. But after using it awhile, and learning how to get around this and that and integrating the apps with Live, I see it as one of the most powerful pieces of gear out there. Creative wise at least.

Maybe if you get behind one and mash away on the little buttons the lust will sink in 8)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:07 pm

I've got the 128 and using molar alot. molar is the center of all my songs now. at least for any sound in the computer. if my monome broke or got stolen I would definetly buy another one asap (even though I'd be on the waiting list for a freakin year)

I got lucky when the 128 was released. I just happened onto the site and realised "oh they are selling them right now" and I asked my wife if she would kill me if I put one on the credit card and she said "well what does it do?" after spending 10 minutes trying to explain it and failing she told me to go for it. damn thing sold out in 2 hours. I got #82 of 100. sigh of relief right there.

beauty of molar is that you can use as many instances as you want and switch between them using key presses on the monome. so each instance of molar can be set up to be a different song and you can do one song, then jump to the next, then jump to the next. all without ever looking at the computer. if I ever get around to playing a live show I won't have to look at the computer even once after I start the set which is totally exciting.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:21 pm

do you find molar pretty much replacing monochrome?

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:26 pm

beats me wrote:It seems so 2007 and limited when you consider the rumor of an Apple touch pad coming out.

+1

The Monome is a beautiful piece of art. It's pricing and exclusivity reflects that. You'r going to see a ton of new devices come out that do the same thing or similar - for a lot less money.

Buy the art if you've got the money and/or patience.

Buy the upcoming iPhone version when you're ready to make some music without giving up your left arm.

:P

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:02 pm

t1mp wrote:do you find molar pretty much replacing monochrome?
at first I was all about monochrome, I actually didn't like molars early version very much. but over the last few months he's turned into a perfect replacement for monochrome if you want to set it up that way and it also becomes a perfect replacement for mlr if you want to set it up that way. (the only thing it lacks that molar has is different quantization settings, but thats ok cause 1/16 is all I want to use) you can use it either way you want or you can use it as both. the way I use it is having a few step sequencers on the top and a few mlr loopers along the bottom. once you figure out the meta sequencer you're set to replace mlr. the only thing I don't like is the lack of designated stop buttons. but the way I remedy that is on a mlr loop row I just set the last step of that row to be a blank pattern, which means I guess you can't trigger the sound of the very last step anymore but usually thats just a high hat sound or something that you can trigger somewhere in the middle of the loop so no worries. you could also use a black loop and set it to group 1 or something and have it stop the playback of the first loop but that kills an entire row and I don't like to do that.

it's got the step sequencing, it's got mlr looping, it's got pattern recorders, it's got more features than mlr cause it's got the filters and gates and mults. even a limited wav editor that allows you to nudge the slice points it's got multi outs so you can route each sound to a ableton track. and you can even save it as a live clip and instantly call up what you had set up with wav files in tact and ready to go. to me it's hard not to love it.

it also doesn't sound slicey as you might imagine, instrument tracks and even pad sounds sound perfectly fine.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

chalkline

Post by chalkline » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:40 pm

I am just about to start messing with molar. Looks great, just need to sit down for an hour and work it all out. The problem is, I been knocking small 8 and 16 beat loops and going mad on MLR, knock a quick loop together in reason and watch it come alive.
I have so many tracks that were just a bunch of short loops that I can now create entire new tracks out of. This thing is taking up so much of my time now.

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:49 pm

chalkline wrote:I am just about to start messing with molar. Looks great, just need to sit down for an hour and work it all out. The problem is, I been knocking small 8 and 16 beat loops and going mad on MLR, knock a quick loop together in reason and watch it come alive.
I have so many tracks that were just a bunch of short loops that I can now create entire new tracks out of. This thing is taking up so much of my time now.
thats mlr in a nutshell!!!

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:50 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
t1mp wrote:do you find molar pretty much replacing monochrome?
at first I was all about monochrome, I actually didn't like molars early version very much. but over the last few months he's turned into a perfect replacement for monochrome if you want to set it up that way and it also becomes a perfect replacement for mlr if you want to set it up that way. (the only thing it lacks that molar has is different quantization settings, but thats ok cause 1/16 is all I want to use) you can use it either way you want or you can use it as both. the way I use it is having a few step sequencers on the top and a few mlr loopers along the bottom. once you figure out the meta sequencer you're set to replace mlr. the only thing I don't like is the lack of designated stop buttons. but the way I remedy that is on a mlr loop row I just set the last step of that row to be a blank pattern, which means I guess you can't trigger the sound of the very last step anymore but usually thats just a high hat sound or something that you can trigger somewhere in the middle of the loop so no worries. you could also use a black loop and set it to group 1 or something and have it stop the playback of the first loop but that kills an entire row and I don't like to do that.

it's got the step sequencing, it's got mlr looping, it's got pattern recorders, it's got more features than mlr cause it's got the filters and gates and mults. even a limited wav editor that allows you to nudge the slice points it's got multi outs so you can route each sound to a ableton track. and you can even save it as a live clip and instantly call up what you had set up with wav files in tact and ready to go. to me it's hard not to love it.

it also doesn't sound slicey as you might imagine, instrument tracks and even pad sounds sound perfectly fine.
intersting, I gotta get back into molar now!

XPM

Post by XPM » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:05 pm

I've got a 128 and am currently building a reaktor set that can be used as a multiple out vst plug-in.

I find the monome to be a brilliant device if you have any skills in Max/msp, Reaktor or a similar program, and excellent if any of the user built patches (mlr, molar e.t.c.) do what you want to do.

If not, I don't think its worth investing in, but for a good visual live performance, I find it hard to beat.

XPM