Monome

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
t1mp

Post by t1mp » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:34 pm

Not to put a spin on anything, but the fifty dollar increase which was for the 64 only, was due to an increase in the price for the individual parts to construct the monome from the parts suppliers. It wasn't random and it was posted on the site by Brian explaining this. Also remember, there is two people making, selling and orchestrating this whole venture. They are not robots.

You complain about being on a waiting list, then I guess you protest ebay as well, as there have been at least 20 monome 40h's sold in this year plus a community on monome.org continually trading and selling 64's, speaking of which there is I beleive a couple 128's up for grabs. Come on now..

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:35 pm

Again, if they asked for a deposit from people on the waiting list in the first place to pay for the parts then there wouldn't be a price increase and most people on the waiting list would have paid that deposit, not to mention production probably would have happened a lot faster.

There's even deposits on group buys for software where there is absolutely no overhead for you to download the software that already exists. But I'll shut up about the price increase because nobody thinks they could have planned this out any better.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:50 pm

beats me wrote:Again, if they asked for a deposit from people on the waiting list in the first place to pay for the parts then there wouldn't be a price increase and most people on the waiting list would have paid that deposit, not to mention production probably would have happened a lot faster.
Yep, Brian & Keli should drop everything else they might be doing and devote their lives to making monomes, paying more taxes, managing deposit lists, packing boxes or paying douchebags to pack boxes, etc etc....
spreader of butter

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:11 pm

I don't expect 2 people to crank these out like robots but they could employ a couple solder monkeys on the cheap. They obviously don't have any plans for expansion and that's their purgative but it's kind of pointless debating with people who were lucky enough to get one directly and aren't on some kind of purgatory waiting list.

I just checked Ebay. None. And just out of curiosity because I really don't know, are these used monomes being sold at roughly the same price as new ones or is there quite a markup, admittedly set by the free market?

And I'm still wondering why I got an email a few weeks ago telling me these will be ready to ship any day now but their website says not until October.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:16 pm

the most expensive monome 64 I seen go for was $1,200 ...and that was from an american seller. That guy did well.

a few weeks ago you got mail ? ...that was either the last 128 batch, or the forth-coming 256...

Anyways, stop playing coy about prices & availability.
spreader of butter

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:23 pm

beats me wrote:I don't expect 2 people to crank these out like robots but they could employ a couple solder monkeys on the cheap. They obviously don't have any plans for expansion and that's their purgative but it's kind of pointless debating with people who were lucky enough to get one directly and aren't on some kind of purgatory waiting list.

I just checked Ebay. None. And just out of curiosity because I really don't know, are these used monomes being sold at roughly the same price as new ones or is there quite a markup, admittedly set by the free market?

And I'm still wondering why I got an email a few weeks ago telling me these will be ready to ship any day now but their website says not until October.
Usually they do go for what the original person paid for them. Usually people will not mark them up who sell them on the boards, but the ebay monkeys do let them go to a feeding frenzy. I understand not having one sucks and you look at it through different eyes than I do. But, if you really wanted one in these 9 months you could've got one 8)

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Eh, I really need to quit pissing all over these monome posts with my tragic story of trying to get one by apathetically sitting on a waiting list. I probably wouldn't have said anything except logic_user99 said he was on the list and that got me all fired up. I'm obviously not the gentleman he is.

Maybe I'll take my show to craigslist rants and raves where I'll get even less sympathy. :D

chalkline

Post by chalkline » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:41 pm

I am not sure how long I was on the waiting list for, I went for the kit, and it was probably only about 4 months max. As for the delay, and lack of machines, my take on it is that they are a non-profit organization, and also very eco friendly, I think that takes them a lot longer to get the boards made up. So I can't see them ever being happy with getting them mass produced, I suppose that is against everything they stand for.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:33 pm

wheres it say they are non profit? I'm not saying they aren't I'm just saying I've never read that on their site.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:49 pm

I think they make profit, as I recall Brian talking about using the money he makes to buy more parts ahead of the release dates for a next batch.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:50 pm

we strive for economic and ecological sustainability. careful design practice allows us to contribute to culture and preserve the environment by choosing domestic, high-quality, and responsible providers and production facilities. we acknowledge that our future will depend on our ability to support and maintain a local, regenerative economy.

we choose not to outsource production in cases where it supports controversial governments, exploits workers, and leads to destructive environmental practices. by working with small, local companies we hope to foster long-term relationships, gain more insight and control over production, and actually witness our products’ progression. as a result we engage in continuous and responsive design. we choose to support companies who share our values; companies who provide living wages, clean and safe working environments, and high quality goods.

----

Hmm. Guess no outsourcing to the Chinese. Or the Indians. Or the ....

Wait a second. Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA.

Based on their own philosophy, they'd better stop making their shit here in the States (aka outsourcing to themselves and their neighbors).

...controversial governments, exploits workers, and leads to destructive environmental practices.

8O

Bah

Hippies and their logic.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:49 pm

landrvr1 wrote:we strive for economic and ecological sustainability. careful design practice allows us to contribute to culture and preserve the environment by choosing domestic, high-quality, and responsible providers and production facilities. we acknowledge that our future will depend on our ability to support and maintain a local, regenerative economy.

we choose not to outsource production in cases where it supports controversial governments, exploits workers, and leads to destructive environmental practices. by working with small, local companies we hope to foster long-term relationships, gain more insight and control over production, and actually witness our products’ progression. as a result we engage in continuous and responsive design. we choose to support companies who share our values; companies who provide living wages, clean and safe working environments, and high quality goods.

----

Hmm. Guess no outsourcing to the Chinese. Or the Indians. Or the ....

Wait a second. Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA.

Based on their own philosophy, they'd better stop making their shit here in the States (aka outsourcing to themselves and their neighbors).

...controversial governments, exploits workers, and leads to destructive environmental practices.

8O

Bah

Hippies and their logic.

care to explain yourself a little more? do you not think they are attempting to avoid things like sweat shops and child labor? as far as I know you aren't gonna find much of that by products made in the us
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:04 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
care to explain yourself a little more?

No. Because then you will be able to more easily poke holes in my smug yet thin veil of logic.

ahlstrominfo

Post by ahlstrominfo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:08 pm

b0unce wrote:the most expensive monome 64 I seen go for was $1,200 ...and that was from an american seller. That guy did well
Damn, maybe I should sell mine :) So I can get my hands on that iPhone-thingi.
But then again, Ill probably wont get 40000 hits on a iPhone-video on youtube.
Decisions, desicions..... :roll:
My old signature was pretty stupid, so I changed it to this one.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:10 pm

landrvr1 wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
care to explain yourself a little more?

No. Because then you will be able to more easily poke holes in my smug yet thin veil of logic.

thats exactly why I asked.