connecting 2 macs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
johnnydeep

connecting 2 macs?

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:39 am

hi. i have a new intel mac and i use live 7. the problem is, a lot of my plugins dont and drum machines dont work on my new mac. im wondering if theres a way of connecting the 2 computers, so i can use my old mac with my new mac. for example, run reason from my old mac rewired to live on my new mac. anyone know if this is possible??

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:44 am

what version of reason are you useing. it should work on your new mac.
i dont have drum machines but that should work as well.
maybe you havent installed properly?
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

johnnydeep

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:15 pm

hi.
i have left the serial codes for reason in australia, by accident. imconfident reeason would install on my new mac, but i dont have sn. i was hoping to use reason on my old laptop but connect, it to my new mac, where id like to wire it to live.
wat u think?

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:15 pm

I don't know how LIVE handles this, but I do this with SMPTE in Digital Performer with a G4 and a G5.

I have an audio card and a midi interface for both machines. Audio from the slave machine is transferred to the master via ADAT light pipe.

With DP they lock perfectly. I don't know if LIVE has this syncing capability.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:29 pm

Rewire doesn't work between two machines, it's an internal protocol only. However as ChiDJ said, if you can get some sort of SMPTE/MIDI clock/MTC sync happening between the computers, you could lightpipe audio back and forth. I do it all the time between a macbook pro and a powerbook G4. The MBP is connected to an RME Fireface400 and the Powerbook to an RME Multiface, with ADAT lightpipe shuttling 8 tracks of audio back and forth between them.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

johnnydeep

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:17 pm

hi . thanks for your replies. i will try to connect the macs to my firebox, to send audio. seems like the only way.
thanks again

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:20 pm

you need two soundcards

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:26 pm

One time long ago, I had two iBooks. One ran sequencing and samples, and the other ran anything else the first one couldn't handle. I used some software on both machines that allowed one machine to stream multi-track audio to the other via an ethernet cable. It was fucking awesome, and is perfect for what you are asking!

Unfortunately, the name escapes me right now. :( If I remember it, I'll edit this post.

edit: FOUND IT!!! http://plasq.com/wormhole
Enjoy! :D

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:25 pm

The MBP is connected to an RME Fireface400 and the Powerbook to an RME Multiface, with ADAT lightpipe shuttling 8 tracks of audio back and forth between them.
How do you you sync both, Pitch? Midi Clock, with the MBP as master?
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:47 pm

SubQ wrote:
The MBP is connected to an RME Fireface400 and the Powerbook to an RME Multiface, with ADAT lightpipe shuttling 8 tracks of audio back and forth between them.
How do you you sync both, Pitch? Midi Clock, with the MBP as master?
For time sync, I have both computers chasing MIDI clock from my MIDI controller keyboard (a Roland A-37), and for audio sync, I have the FF400 outputting wordclock via BNC cable to the Multiface. FF400 wordclock master ---> Multiface wordclock slave.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:11 am

The easiest way of all is to go a head and install REASON onto your new computer..
go to the props site and get your serial number from your user account..
enter it and register..
I've done this with Recycle when i didn't have any of my details and had no issues..
I think i was even able to autherize the demo version.. or i might have used some one else's install disks.. :?
I really can't remember... 8O 8O
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

fuzzyhead

Post by fuzzyhead » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:42 am

Pitch Black, can you play notes on both machines with the same keyboard?
Which soundcard is used for audio output to monitors?
I'm trying to figure out a setup combining an Ozonic keyboard with 2 computers(firewire splitting?),but maybe I should open another thread..
MBP 2.6 15.4
Sonica PC laptop
Reason 4-Live 7-
Fireface800-Ozonic-PadKontrol-MCU pro

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:52 am

fuzzyhead wrote:Pitch Black, can you play notes on both machines with the same keyboard?
Yes - My keyboard has two MIDI outputs, one is connected to each RME's MIDI input.
fuzzyhead wrote:Which soundcard is used for audio output to monitors?
The Fireface is connected to the monitors
fuzzyhead wrote: I'm trying to figure out a setup combining an Ozonic keyboard with 2 computers(firewire splitting?),but maybe I should open another thread..
You should get a stand-alone MIDI interface for one of your computers (i.e. not a kbd or sound-card, just a USB-to-MIDI interface). Connect up the Ozonic as follows:

Ozonic firewire--->Computer 1
Ozonic MIDI OUT--->USB MIDI Interface--->Computer 2

Now playing the Ozonic will send MIDI to both.

HTH

fuzzyhead

Post by fuzzyhead » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:59 am

Thank you for your prompt answer! :)
MBP 2.6 15.4
Sonica PC laptop
Reason 4-Live 7-
Fireface800-Ozonic-PadKontrol-MCU pro