'Future Proof' laptop?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Noel

Post by Noel » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:44 pm

logic_user99 wrote:Looks like a thumbs-up for a MBP (or MacMini...maybe).

It is, unfortunately, not a case of constantly upgrading software or 'just getting on with it' - I'm running Live 7.01 and Reaktor 5. That's it! Even those two lovely bits 'o software make my machine cry when I try and do anything c-c-complex. Live will run me one instance of Carbon (Reaktor), a couple of drum rack, and a few native FX (simple delays and the Redux plug are my faves right now) but will cobb out after that...

Are there any of you who regularly upgrade/update your machines?
Get your new PC^H^Hmac(sorry) (after all your old one *is* 5 years old) and then resist the temptation to upgrade to Live 8, Live 9, Live 10 or whatever.
Last edited by Noel on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noel has left the building!

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:12 pm

Noel wrote: Get your new PC (after all your old one *is* 5 years old) and then resist the temptation to upgrade to Live 8, Live 9, Live 10 or whatever.
PC? Mac, dahhlink. Mac!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:19 pm

Like the MacBook Pro line, the Mac Mini is long overdue for an upgrade. Same advice as before: wait about a month if you can.

:wink:

While your buying stuff (!) think about getting an external display so you can move your computer away from your immediate listening environment. It can be an added expense if you're using a laptop, but it's something to work towards.

I grew really tired of the fans in my powerbook being so close to my ears. So I got an external display, & placed the powerbook as far away from me as possible (which isn't very far), but it is still an improvement.

Maybe the newer computers are quieter, but eventually I'll end up pushing it to the limit, then the fans will kick in again!

aizo

Re: 'Future Proof' laptop?

Post by aizo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:40 pm

logic_user99 wrote: It's 'life' I guess - needs a new laptop (NEEDS!) but my good lady soon-to-be-wife wants a) a car, b) a house, and c) a baby. Will need to get something sorted smartish, before the saving for life's essentials begins.

Help?
no offense here guy buy if she is your GOOD lady and this is your career, then she shouldn't have a problem with you getting stuff you NEED for what you do. My wife knows good and well that when I need gear(and I'm now gear whore) it's important shit. better gear helps with your career in-turn makes you more money for those things she's interested in. get a refurb MBP
ImageImage

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:42 pm

oblique strategies wrote:I grew really tired of the fans in my powerbook being so close to my ears...Maybe the newer computers are quieter
I hear ya x1000!

I can happily say that the fan(s?) in my MBP 2.33 never bother me, they only occasionally come on, and are WAY quieter that the powerbook. (The sound they make is more of an agreeable whirr, rather than a whine)
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:59 pm

Did anyone ever use one of the old 'Quicksilver' G4s? Holy crap they were noisy...
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:05 pm

logic_user99 wrote:the old 'Quicksilver' G4s
AKA The Wind Tunnel

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:51 pm

logic_user99 wrote:Did anyone ever use one of the old 'Quicksilver' G4s? Holy crap they were noisy...
i just ditched my quicksilver for a refurbed 2.4 MBP..

wow big jump.. i did put a 3rd party CPU in it a few years ago, so the machine performed pretty good (dual 1.8 G4)

but the added cpu added even more fans to the box 8O

but man i think you appreciate the performance much much more when you make a big jump like that.

on the mini note, a refurbed macbook is usually just a bit more $$$ then a mini

tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:59 pm

check the specs out on this refurbished macbook pro:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0EZ0LL/A

2.6GHz processor, 2GB ram, and a 200GB 7200rpm HD for $2400 ($100 less than the asking price for a new base model for the same machine (slower proc & HD))

get it.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Pitch Black wrote:
oblique strategies wrote:I grew really tired of the fans in my powerbook being so close to my ears...Maybe the newer computers are quieter
I hear ya x1000!

I can happily say that the fan(s?) in my MBP 2.33 never bother me, they only occasionally come on, and are WAY quieter that the powerbook. (The sound they make is more of an agreeable whirr, rather than a whine)
Thanks, that's great info!

I'm looking forward to a new MBP beastie, & am getting close to taking the plunge; just waiting a little bit more to viddy what turns up...

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:30 am

oblique strategies wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:
I hear ya x1000!

Thanks, that's great info!

I'm looking forward to a new MBP beastie, & am getting close to taking the plunge; just waiting a little bit more to viddy what turns up...
Great info, indeed. I can't properly use my G4's internal mic as the fans are so damn loud!

Applied for a loan extend from the bank... might peruse the refurb store when I get home tonight! That is, if Mrs Logic doesn't kick me in the shins for money borrowing....
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

hangar17

Post by hangar17 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:40 am

It is, unfortunately, not a case of constantly upgrading software or 'just getting on with it' - I'm running Live 7.01 and Reaktor 5. That's it! Even those two lovely bits 'o software make my machine cry when I try and do anything c-c-complex. Live will run me one instance of Carbon (Reaktor), a couple of drum rack, and a few native FX (simple delays and the Redux plug are my faves right now) but will cobb out after that...

Are there any of you who regularly upgrade/update your machines?

not me
i'm running on 1.5 pb still myself
but am thinking of getting a refurbed mbp soon
I fell down the musical stairs at the science museum.
It went like : C F# B D Ab A#5 E D B A THUD!

we are airfields
this is hangar 17

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:28 pm

hangar17 wrote: not me
i'm running on 1.5 pb still myself
but am thinking of getting a refurbed mbp soon
Ah, cool. Are you running Live 7? How does your machine handle it?
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |