I don't get the Evolver

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:23 pm

Nick the Zombie wrote:
WaveRider wrote:...any alternatives for the evolver destop anyway????? any other good analog mono synths in that price range???? ..you would have to look at the cheaper MFB synths, wittch are not as versatile or good sounding....
I think the Blofeld would be the closest thing to the desktop Evolver. I am seriously considering checking one out on a 30 day return with Guitar Center.

- Nick
yeah that would be a nice comparison to make, but I bet on the evolver to have more guts... the Blofeld is polyphonic, and surely nice, but digital... ...and I used to like that but now, comparing to real analog.... but I would sure love to demo a Blofeld anyway :)

goiks

Re: I don't get the Evolver

Post by goiks » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:45 pm

What makes it stand out for me is all the modulation flexibility in an inexpensive little box.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:36 am

The Evolver desktop made me feel like I was using a modular, the routing options are that extensive IMO. But it is one of those synths that's kind of so so at first, I know I was really underwhelmed when I got mine at first, but after a few days of non-stop use, I was REALLY impressed. I will say though that I think a lot of people expect it to be a warm sounding synth ala a Moog when they see the words "analog OSC", and it's really not that type of synth. You can make deep sounds, btu it's not a 'warm' synth per se.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:10 am

Poster wrote:
thelike5 wrote:I wouldn't say all of Dave Smith Instruments is overhyped.

I'd say the Evolver desktop is.
please elaborate..

but only if you ever actually touched one..
I have touched one. I played with one for several weeks before returning it as it had a 30 day guarantee.

I'm a big fan of DSI, I just didn't think the Evolver was for me. Overhyped is also a harsh word; I'd just say that I thought it was one dimensional and produced a cool raw analog sound. The way I see it, the Evolver didn't do half of what the Korg DW-6000, (which I have used quite a bit) does. In unison mode, the DW-6000 sounded (in my opinion) closet to the Evolver but better. Out of unison mode, the DW-6000 destroyed the Evolver. Let's also consider the Evolver's rather cheap build quality; there were some serious corners cut to make that synth $600. No dedicated volume knob? Lack of Headphone out? No dedicated on/off switch? I'd gladly pay an extra $50 -$100 for all three of those "features." I just couldn't get past that. I also like a decent, readable display. Maybe I'm asking for too much... $600 isn't really "cheap." Affordable, sure but give me a volume knob and the ability to see what I'm trying to program for that money.

I bought a Snow, after considering many things; Blofeld and Poly Evolver rack amongst the other standouts.The flexibility of the Virus won me over. If I went with an Evolver I'd have to break the bank with the Poly Evolver or Prophet. The Evolver keyboard is also quite nice as it doesn't cut any major corners.

I'm happy with my decision, albeit broke for now. :)

OK by me as I will have dough once the DSI LinnDrum 2 comes out!!!

Bin ray

Post by Bin ray » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:46 pm

The Evolver desktop is great. the analogue side can sound really nice on its own, and there loads of wierd stuff to do with the digital side.
the modulation routings are insane, you can do all kinds of envelope following wierdness, and try putting breaks through the filter section and triggering the filter from midi.....add sequenced effects and you can totally mash up breaks with it.

the downside of it, which is not surprising given its only 300 quid, is that most parameters have a staircasing effect when you change them (not the filter cutoff luckily), unlike a true modular analogue synth. also you can't do very fast control of the analogue oscillators, so no analogue FM, although the filtermod can get close. also i find there can be some wierd artefacts and noises from the envelopes particularly making pure bass noises.

you can fatten the 24db filtered sound by using a resonance offset on one of two stacked oscillators. you can get some pretty cool acid lines if youre careful.
Basically it has drawbacks, but it has alot of very cool features too, and its only 300 quid. it has a pretty clean (without using the distortion effects) sound compared to say a MS20, but it certainly sounds good alongside older analogue gear, or even through it. stick it thru MS20 filters and you get al kinds of hybrid goodness.

I made an OS X vst plugin that allows you to save all the parameters on the evolver as vst data in a Live song, and you can control any parameter from Live

get it here
http://headermunge.blogspot.com/

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:55 pm

Bin ray wrote:
I made an OS X vst plugin that allows you to save all the parameters on the evolver as vst data in a Live song, and you can control any parameter from Live

get it here
http://headermunge.blogspot.com/

*begs for a windows version*

Bin ray

Post by Bin ray » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:59 pm

yeah...sorry i will do it soon! slack....

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:00 pm

Overhyped.

Quite the opposite.

All the Dave Smith stuff is underhyped. Hard to find a line of synths that, for the same price, deliver more. Pfft.

And, let's face it. Some people just don't understand analog. It scares them. Subtractive synthesis is scary stuff. Big scary. Really, really, creepy scary. It's too warm for them. Too rich. They don't understand the joy of sunshine, hugs, kisses on the cheek, and analog.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:15 am

I have the Evolver and I get it

in fact I love it

what was the question?