Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:04 am

I'm on Tiger. Works fine for me, but I just got it and I haven't strained it yet.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:11 am

I'm on Leopard and have been getting crashes. Quite a few recently.

.m

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:03 am

ignore

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:08 am

i think ableton could provide new versions free to those who have paid out for the last 3... but i would say that - considering the amount of money ive spent on them!

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 am

I just bought a new computer and i'm unsure whether or not to take the jump and just buy Live 7 or sit it out?

I don't have the kind of money to be able to buy the software and then 3 months later have to pay for a whole new version.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:29 am

duluxdog wrote:I just bought a new computer and i'm unsure whether or not to take the jump and just buy Live 7 or sit it out?

I don't have the kind of money to be able to buy the software and then 3 months later have to pay for a whole new version. Especially if it is more bug-free.
There is a demo which you can download to decide if the current version is what you need.
If you're holding out for a bug free version, keep in mind that Live 7.0.9 and upwards will be more stable than Live 8.0. Its always the case, every single year.

Nobody forces you to upgrade when the arrives. Yes, Live 8 will probably have bug fixes that fix something from a previous version of Live. And yes, it will probably have bugs nobody anticipated.
If you want Live 7 now and eventually a more stable version of Live 8... Upgrade now and upgrade again in 6 to 12 months.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:24 pm

I have a feeling Live 8 will be awhile still.

lola

Post by lola » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:21 pm

Tarekith wrote:I have a feeling Live 8 will be awhile still.
Can't wait just out of curiosity what they will implent this time.
a detachable midi grid?
lfo for modular routing?
More handy midi editing tools?
Arrange that updates session when clips are changed?
I even would like to see a complete new gui so u can choose classic or new look ( i know i know i am the only one on this one :D )

linzatti

Post by linzatti » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:48 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:I'm on Leopard and have been getting crashes. Quite a few recently.

.m
okey... then I guess I´ll wait for a while.

gerard

Post by gerard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:59 pm

I switched to Mac (with Leopard) a month ago, I'm still on Live 6.10, and this whole month I've been working nearly everyday and it hasn't crashed once.
I'm very happy to have stepped into Mac world and I'm thinking about getting Logic maybe someday.
As for Live the racks were the latest great addition I've seen. So I won't get 7 and wait to see if the new features in 8 are worth it, before leaving the actual very stable system that I have.
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:07 pm

MY biggest wish for 8 is they add no new features for marketing (64 bit audio engine, suite embedded instruments and FX etc.) and just took care of the things that limit Live now. Things like a mediocre at best time/pitch implementation, 128 parameter limit on MIDI, no global keyboard shortcut assignments settings, no event editor style data on the MIDI in the Piano Roll, and the fact that Live takes more mousing than any other DAW to navigate it's interface, you simply are forced to grab the mouse and fuss with the screen more than Logic etc.
Session View is being ignored, follow actions could use some attention.

Also regarding instability, Digital Performer has a feature in Save that allows you to save in a previous versions format, this is so freaking brilliant when it comes to wanting to mess around with a new version, but you want the stability of the previous version, and makes TOTAL sense when dealing with an application that was originally designed specifically for performance.

Basically improve features Live already has, that aren't up to topmodern standards, instead of adding features to wow the crowd.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:08 pm

linzatti wrote:
Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:I'm on Leopard and have been getting crashes. Quite a few recently.

.m
I have no clue whether my crashes are due to OSX or anything else. Quite a few people are allright with Leopard.

For all I know it might be my audio interface that is not happy with Leopard or Intel Macs. An old ESI Quatafire 610.

.m

gerard

Post by gerard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:25 pm

Machinesworking wrote: Session View is being ignored, follow actions could use some attention.

Save that allows you to save in a previous versions format

Basically improve features Live already has, that aren't up to topmodern standards, instead of adding features to wow the crowd.
Session view is really at a total stillstand, there could be many more features, especially for Dj's (two wavesforms, better loop and cue controls,...)

+1 for save in previous formats.

When you say topmodern standards that makes me think about Live's presets which I already have been bitching about a few times. The lack of good and really different soundings presets gives me the impression that many plug-ins and effects of Live don't have the sonic possibilities other DAWs and plug-ins propose. If I really want to make some difference with Live's integrated effects, the changes have to be drastic, as opposed to Sonalksis for example where subtle changes already affect the sound. Well their compressor and equalizer alone already equal the price of Live, maybe that's something that explains the difference in quality.
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

linzatti

Post by linzatti » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:40 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
linzatti wrote:

.m
I have no clue whether my crashes are due to OSX or anything else. Quite a few people are allright with Leopard.

For all I know it might be my audio interface that is not happy with Leopard or Intel Macs. An old ESI Quatafire 610.

.m
true...
depends on the stability on the plugs one uses to I guess. Just a matter of balance like everything else.
I´ll ask around and maybe give it a try with the next update.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:39 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Also regarding instability, Digital Performer has a feature in Save that allows you to save in a previous versions format, this is so freaking brilliant when it comes to wanting to mess around with a new version, but you want the stability of the previous version, and makes TOTAL sense when dealing with an application that was originally designed specifically for performance.
Backward compatibility would be great but the problem is when you use something on 7 that isn't on 6, like drum racks, side chaining, and any of the new instruments. I often start a set in 6 and then don't open it in 7 unless there is something in 7 I want to use, and when I do that I save a version 6 set and a version 7 set.