Ableton a suggested V3.5 and V4.0 for those who.......

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FaX-01

Ableton a suggested V3.5 and V4.0 for those who.......

Post by FaX-01 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:04 am

Want the whole enchilada they get live 4.0
With the full MIDI/VSti/AU support.

Those of us who don't really need those features could get V3.5 (ps: I'd pay for it)

Basically keep it a closed midi system with a pattern sequencer ,include Simpler (for use with this) and the Impulse Rythm unit + randomise functions.
Keep everything else as functionally similar as 3.0.2-.3.0.4 .
Mind you I use Slifty in Live which works quite well already.
But something like Simpler & Impulse would make for rather attractive sound designing extra's in a V3.5 that sits somewhere between full blown daw and the previous incarnations of live.

Just a suggestion.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:32 am

It might be rather complex to maintain two versions of Live (well - three - as there is still this thing sold by Steinberg and there are the bundled versions). They need to consider two support bases for the two versions, evt. different manuals etc. Separate beat testing and trouble-shooting, etc.

Also the difference might be to small to really justify the concept. (you what the included instruments, the basic MIDI functionality - what do you want to leave out? VSTi support?) What do you want to gain over V4 with a V3.5? A cheaper update price?

And it is always - do not use what you do not need. They may not even be interested - as that what you lay out is a not too different - so as long as it does not take business away - and they had to pay for developing V4 anyways - why should they. You may just not use VSTis etc.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:04 am

fax I know you know your stuff, , why not just not use the features of Live 4 that you don't want, uncheck the 'views' and not even have them on the screen? or do you feel like they'd get in the way somehow even after that.