FX plugin settings question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Link

FX plugin settings question

Post by Link » Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:03 am

Okay, I've not had any joy from the problems forum and there seems to be more life in here, so...

I've been setting up here for a week or so now using live from a midi floorboard controller. All is working nicely, recording clips/loops from guitar/synths live and triggering preset clips etc. It's taken a bit of figuring but I have a working method I'm happy with (quite a lot of trial and error programming the floorcontrollers though).

Anyay, this one thing has me beat... How do you save default plug-in settings for use within Live. Ie. the first patch, say, of VST fx etc? Try as I may, I can't figure how you load a set ready for use and have fx ready at a predefined patch/state without having to go through all the plug-ins and recalling the required patches/tweaks ready for the get go.

Surely everyone isn't doing this every time they load up something they are working on. The only way I can see is to record the plugs settings as automation at the first bar or something, but there must be another way since no one else seems to be mentioning this.

Anyone?

One other thing. I don't know about anyone else but it would be REALLY handy here if I could call up different VST fx patches with a Prog Change or something.

Regards

Link

Post by Link » Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:21 pm

Awwwww, come on. Please tell me I'm being stupid and that it is possible to do this! 8O

Yon

Re: FX plugin settings question

Post by Yon » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:35 pm

I'm not sure if I understand exactly the situation in
which you want to load FX settings. If you wish to
have configured FX available when you begin working
on a new set, you may save a document with the
devices you will want to use, and their settings set
according to your desire, or several such documents
for different situations.

Cheers,
Yon

atom_b

Post by atom_b » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:19 pm

There maybe some pitfall to the procedure of having predefined sets: Depending on the fx you use live seems to forget the settings you have made. So don't miss to save the fx presets you made extra with the set. Pitfall again is you have to reload these presets by hand every time you start a predefined set.

My candidates showing this leak are GRM-tools (not always), Sonitus (not all), SpinAudio. If my memory serves me well ableton had several attempts to correct this... well, not to its full effect. Since they will finally solve this I guess we have to live with this stupid behaviour;-)

Regards
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

Link

Post by Link » Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:55 pm

Thank you guys for your help. Yep, it seems not to be remembering the state of VST fx properlyon savingwhich is a problem I didn't expect to run into. It's magically started to remeber one for some reason, though I have no clue as to why. Bummer and not neat, but I'll live.

Atom. You say remember to save fx settings to be safe, which makes sense. How do I do this? I can't find where this is possible anywhere on plugs that do not have their own save facility. Some problems come from the most obscure places at times. :)

Again, thank you.

Regards.

atom_b

Post by atom_b » Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:03 pm

Well, if there's no option for saving you will not be able to save settings. Maybe a screenshot may help then.

But I'd suggest you send data about the specific plug-in to ableton.

- First, they're very responsive
- Second, I guess they need to know wich specific routine to address when saving settings (this seeems to differ a lot from plug to plug).

And finally, we'll have to be a little patient with this kind of troubleshooting...
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

Link

Post by Link » Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:15 pm

Oh sure, I this is a great app that is building up here. That this is the only little stumbling block in what I am trying to set up is great credit to the Ableton crew. Much respect. It's behaving flawlessly and have been trying to achieve similar using various means for many years.

The oddity with the plugin thing is that Live does have the ability to "remeber" the state of VST fx as evidenced by the patch-pull down menu for each plug. These work fine and recall settings so the mechanism is there pretty much as far as I can see, it's just when saving/loading a set the problem arises.

Great work though, I warm to it's subtle possibilities more each day. No argument there.