BCR Performer (v.0.4)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
hoffman2k

BCR Performer (v.0.4)

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:33 pm

V.0.4

During the creation of my latest Live Set, I ran into a limitation with the BCR2000. This controller relies on feedback coming back from Live, but it only stores the data for 1 preset. This means that if I switch from preset 1 to preset 2, it will not reflect any of the changes that I may have made in Live while preset 1 was loaded.

Because of this, I decided to write my own BCR driver application. The application collects all the parameter values of every single CC that are assigned to something in Live. The BCR2000 sends out all its values from MIDI Channel 1, but before these values go to Live, they pass thru the application so that I can choose the MIDI Channel for the output.

I never have to change the BCR preset. I have a knob that goes from 1 to 16 to select the MIDI Channel that is used to send messages to Ableton Live. When I choose a MIDI Channel, the GUI of this application will show all the labels for the knobs and buttons that are assigned to Live on that specific channel.

The development of this application is still in the very early stages, but its already good enough for my needs. However, I will continue to develop this application because other people may have different needs. Currently it functions according to what I needed for my set, but it'll eventually be an alternative driver for the BCR2000.

http://www.covops.org/index.php/Freebie ... a-0.1.html
Last edited by hoffman2k on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:36 pm

Wow. 8O

That's brilliant, Bjorn!

.m

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:51 pm

Cool!
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:16 pm

Yay at long f*cking last!
The BCR really needs a software layer. I have been thinking of doing one in SynthEdit. I'm glad you beat me to it!

Good stuff - and I'm happy I didn't sell the BCR might find some use for it anyway. Will report back with my findings.
I think Windows users definitely need to install a virtual MIDI port.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:41 pm

djsynchro wrote:Yay at long f*cking last!
The BCR really needs a software layer. I have been thinking of doing one in SynthEdit. I'm glad you beat me to it!

Good stuff - and I'm happy I didn't sell the BCR might find some use for it anyway. Will report back with my findings.
I think Windows users definitely need to install a virtual MIDI port.
Yeah, I'm glad somebody sees the use in a software layer for the BCR.
There are many directions I could take this app in, but it'll largely depend on the feedback of people who need it.

I'm hosting a whole bunch of BCR files of which I have no clue about, but I believe there are some sysex files in there that allow an override of the preset and encoder preset buttons. I'll check that out and see if the BCR can become a complete dumb terminal.

There's nothing I can do about the windows situation. I guess people already know the drill from using other MIDI software.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:52 pm

AMAZING! Should be sticky....

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:40 pm

For those people who can't run this. Just click Ctl/Apple-M twice and the BCR refreshes all its LED's.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:11 am

Blech!

I can't get it to work.
Am I supposed to have BCR2000 set as control surface? when I do MIDI in and out light up and the record button of the channel starts blinking. With it switched off i turned some knobs on the BCR and some knobs on the GUI turned - very slowly, and the wrong knobs.

That's the second MAX patch made on a Mac that I can't get to work on Windows... wonder how compatible they are.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:40 am

djsynchro wrote:Blech!

I can't get it to work.
Am I supposed to have BCR2000 set as control surface? when I do MIDI in and out light up and the record button of the channel starts blinking. With it switched off i turned some knobs on the BCR and some knobs on the GUI turned - very slowly, and the wrong knobs.

That's the second MAX patch made on a Mac that I can't get to work on Windows... wonder how compatible they are.
First off, did the application actually load? In the menu bar under "window" or "view" you'll find an entry called Max window. Click on it to display that window, it'll show if there are any errors.

Secondly, did you upload the BCR preset to your BCR? Not having done so might explain why the wrong knobs are being turned. To upload a preset to the BCR, you need an application that transmits sysex files. On osx this would be "sysex librarian". Load the file, set the BCR as destination and press play. Then press store twice on the BCR after it finished loading.

Anyway. There might just be something wrong with how this plugin is built. I have no experience or windows pc to build applications on. But all that needs to happens is that some kind Max 5 user on PC download the source code and compiles it in windows.

Consider this an open source project. Anybody is welcome to hack it.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:15 pm

Application loaded, only Max message is "Jitter installed"
Dumped sysex patch to BCR (are you using NRPNs? Why?)
Think I got everything set up OK.

Maybe I should do a BCR GUI in Synth Edit for XP it would have to run in SaviHost but that's not a big problem.... mmm.

I was also thinking of making a stepsequencer to work with the Nocturn lit buttons (and the encoders to change pitch/velocity) Would be good with the BCR too it has 16 buttons at the top.

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:33 pm

def gonna have to pick up a BCR as fast as possible
great work Bjorn!
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.
Pair of Technics 1200's, and a Pioneer Mixer

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:55 pm

djsynchro wrote:Application loaded, only Max message is "Jitter installed"
Dumped sysex patch to BCR (are you using NRPNs? Why?)
Think I got everything set up OK.

Maybe I should do a BCR GUI in Synth Edit for XP it would have to run in SaviHost but that's not a big problem.... mmm.

I was also thinking of making a stepsequencer to work with the Nocturn lit buttons (and the encoders to change pitch/velocity) Would be good with the BCR too it has 16 buttons at the top.
It seems like it loaded fine. Can anybody else on pc get it to work?

Keep in mind that after assigning something in Live, you need to press the top right encoder to refresh the BCR.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:29 pm

can this work as an alternative to mackie emulation, or is it something different. looks like the automap 2.0 gui. if thats the case, can it be made to appear transparent? im about to pick up my bcr tommorow, so will def give it a shot. looks good,

soundwave

Re: BCR Performer (v.0.1)

Post by soundwave » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:28 pm

hoffman2k:
I never have to change the BCR preset. I have a knob that goes from 1 to 16 to select the MIDI Channel that is used to send messages to Ableton Live. When I choose a MIDI Channel, the GUI of this application will show all the labels for the knobs and buttons that are assigned to Live on that specific channel.
Can you tell me how do you set up a rotary to change (go up/down) midi channels? IS there a CC for that?
TIA
Familiarity Breeds Contempt

hoffman2k

Re: BCR Performer (v.0.1)

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:26 pm

soundwave wrote:
hoffman2k:
Can you tell me how do you set up a rotary to change (go up/down) midi channels? IS there a CC for that?
TIA
No, that is taken care off in the application. On the BCR itself the knob has a range from 1 to 16.