BCR Performer (v.0.4)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:27 pm

robleighton22 wrote:can this work as an alternative to mackie emulation, or is it something different. looks like the automap 2.0 gui. if thats the case, can it be made to appear transparent? im about to pick up my bcr tommorow, so will def give it a shot. looks good,
Its completely different from automap. I'm looking into transparency for a future version.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:49 pm

This looks like a great app! Doesn't work on my win xp pc though. Just crashes the runtine when I try and run the .mxf.
Is there a setting in the runtime I can adjust?

Win xp home service pack 2
max runtime 5.0.4
Intel Q6600 2.4 Ghz
2GB ram

koranek

Post by koranek » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:36 am

Is the Max GUI supposed to reflect knob changes. For example, if I map the lower left hand knob to a Live parameter, is the lower left hand knob graphic on the interface supposed to reflect what's going on with the physical knob (or Live parameter)?

Thanks
Licensed Counselor
johnkoranekcounseling.com
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

Mac Pro 3.33 Ghz 6 core Xeon, 32 G ram, OS 10.12.6
Push 2
Novation Impulse
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 10 Sweet

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:00 am

koranek wrote:Is the Max GUI supposed to reflect knob changes. For example, if I map the lower left hand knob to a Live parameter, is the lower left hand knob graphic on the interface supposed to reflect what's going on with the physical knob (or Live parameter)?

Thanks
The GUI reflects the messages it receives from Live. But it does not update automatically.
You can either turn on "auto refresh", which will refresh any knob change after you stopped moving the knob. Or you can refresh it manually by pressing down on the 8th push encoder that is used to select songs.

I only added the auto refresh mode because I knew this question would be raised. Personally it doesn't bother me while I'm playing with it. But I can see it being useful for playing the BCR "blindly". The only reason I have now to look at the BCR is to see where a knob is at, but I already worked around that by manually refreshing the BCR.

Anyway. I got some other CovOps stuff to take care off first. After that i'll work on v0.2.

- Bjorn

koranek

Post by koranek » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Thanks-

I'm interested in the program, since there is not much that works on the Mac. It doesn't seem to be working for me right now. So instead of trying to debug it with you, I'll wait for you to catch up on the CovOps stuff and for V.02. Thanks again for the work.
Licensed Counselor
johnkoranekcounseling.com
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

Mac Pro 3.33 Ghz 6 core Xeon, 32 G ram, OS 10.12.6
Push 2
Novation Impulse
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 10 Sweet

madhattared

Post by madhattared » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:46 pm

timothyallan wrote:For those people who can't run this. Just click Ctl/Apple-M twice and the BCR refreshes all its LED's.
thank you. this has been annoying me all summer.
Live 7 hackintosh 10.5.2 q6600 raptor 4gig x3d pk FW410 bcr2k xboard49 Ultrasone DJ1 BM5a

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:59 pm

V.0.2 is up. Not much changes to the core functionality yet, but I did manage to add a transparency mode.
It also shows the current preset and the next preset.
I'll do some more changes during this week.

V.0.2

http://www.covops.org/index.php/Freebie ... a-0.1.html

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:02 pm

irrelevance wrote:This looks like a great app! Doesn't work on my win xp pc though. Just crashes the runtine when I try and run the .mxf.
Is there a setting in the runtime I can adjust?

Win xp home service pack 2
max runtime 5.0.4
Intel Q6600 2.4 Ghz
2GB ram
Give v.0.2 a go please.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:23 pm

I just went over this and your tutortials this weekend, all very inspiring and it makes the approach less overwhelming.

As far as I got (and not sure if that is where it ends) you have your songs set up to be just one scene. With the BCR app you made here could you do something like have the bottom row of encodes switch between clips on tracks 1-8 and the display on the BRC would display which clip number in that song is selected and the app would show the clip name? And have the ability to do this per song? Hope I explained that well.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:40 pm

nice job! :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:44 pm

beats me wrote:I just went over this and your tutorials this weekend, all very inspiring and it makes the approach less overwhelming.

As far as I got (and not sure if that is where it ends) you have your songs set up to be just one scene. With the BCR app you made here could you do something like have the bottom row of encodes switch between clips on tracks 1-8 and the display on the BRC would display which clip number in that song is selected and the app would show the clip name? And have the ability to do this per song? Hope I explained that well.
There is no display for clip and scene names here. Thats the area I'm still working on.
The one-scene-songs you see in the articles about building a Live Set are just "test songs" really. In no way do they reflect how my actual songs are going to be structured.

The structure will depend on the way I trigger the clips and vice versa.
I got so many ideas, but in the end it all boils down to what feels natural.
I didn't think I would get as far with a single BCR as I have now. Even though I figured this controller could do this all when I bought it.
This application is a nice little functionality extender of the BCR, but it got me thinking about controllers in a whole different way.

I'm not going to get into it too deeply, because I'm still working it out and at the moment I have to focus on publishing some tutorial videos and finishing the Live Set one way or another.
But I am fairly sure that the key to a smooth experience with any combination of MIDI Controllers is a piece of software the unifies those controllers into one organism.
I used to think that Live should do this crap, but I've long since changed my tune because of the "automap fiasco". Novation comes up with some kind of revolutionary way of working with MIDI Controllers. Meanwhile we're stuck with the only innovation on the MIDI front of Live being more supported controllers for a protocol thats limited to say the least.

Anyway. I could hack the Live API into this application. But it would take to much time and maintenance. And there would be no insurance that it would work in future versions. I'd rather stick with being able to label everything for yourself in this application. At least that approach is future proof and something I can work on in my spare time.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:11 pm

Cool. I'm just excited about being able to switch between songs and controls for those songs with a turn of the knob.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:10 pm

beats me wrote:Cool. I'm just excited about being able to switch between songs and controls for those songs with a turn of the knob.
im sooo confused as to what bc performer does. it looks like it is a hud to tell u what u r controlling, but so far it has been described to b nothign to do with automapping. so is it like huskervu, but not just related to mackie control (i.e a display for any of your presets)?

sorry for my feeble simple brain.

(i dont hav the internet at home at the moment, so i havnt been able to give a shot and simply figure it out). thanks in advance.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:44 pm

robleighton22 wrote:
beats me wrote:Cool. I'm just excited about being able to switch between songs and controls for those songs with a turn of the knob.
im sooo confused as to what bc performer does. it looks like it is a hud to tell u what u r controlling, but so far it has been described to b nothign to do with automapping. so is it like huskervu, but not just related to mackie control (i.e a display for any of your presets)?

sorry for my feeble simple brain.

(i dont hav the internet at home at the moment, so i havnt been able to give a shot and simply figure it out). thanks in advance.
Right, forget the HUD for a second.

In the first place, its an application that just acts as a bypass for the BCR signals. But you can use a knob on the BCR to select 1 of 16 presets (MIDI Channels) to output to Live.

So you have 16 times the available controllers on your BCR. This is used instead of 16 BCR presets on which result into problems as described in my first post.

Since I built the above mentioned fairly quickly, I decided to add a HUD that shows labels for the knobs and buttons. It too has 16 presets.
So there's no automapping, no auto naming, no huskervu and no Mackie going on here. Its just an application that replaces a part of the software in the BCR hardware and it has a display which you don't actually need to use.

I made it available because I know there are people who ran into exactly the same problem with the BCR. Its a great controller and you cant beat it for the price. But it is not perfect. In the end I'll probably go for a custom controller. But I've been saying that for ages. I'm much quicker at workarounds...

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:08 pm

sounds good. im simple so bear with me on this one. so rather than browsing through the preset buttons. u twist a dedicated rotary knob to change presets - i take it this prevents loss of visual feedback that u sometimes get switching presets?

so does it work as follows. i hav the sysex file loaded on preset one, the top right rotarty scrolls through 16 potential maps that i will then customally make myself?

i.e map 1 = mixer controls
map 2 = track 1 plugins
map 3 = track 2 plugins, etc, etc....

all this without pressing the preset button?

and furthermore, the display does look great....once u hav ur maps setup, i assume this will make it pretty easy to visually see what you have mapped.

hav i got it? 8O