Ambient Film Scores - Martinez, Isham, ...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:00 am

eisnein wrote:
landrvr1 wrote:(Mick Karn!)

+1 for that! Mick Karn is the main reason i started playing bass!

Amen to that.

A good friend of mine who I played bass with for years went out and got a Wal bass after we saw Karn with Isham. I always kick myself each week that I didn't also order one at the time; seeing as all Wal basses are now worth a fortune (and the fact that there's just nothing that sounds even remotely similar.)

I've got pretty much everything Karn's ever done; including some very nice Japan live bootleg shows. I never get sick of his playing. Not long after discovering Japan/Mick Karn, I got turned on to Brand X and Percy Jones - who Mick obviously ripped off in every good way. :wink:

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:05 am

landrvr1 wrote:
eisnein wrote:
landrvr1 wrote:(Mick Karn!)

+1 for that! Mick Karn is the main reason i started playing bass!

Amen to that.

A good friend of mine who I played bass with for years went out and got a Wal bass after we saw Karn with Isham. I always kick myself each week that I didn't also order one at the time; seeing as all Wal basses are now worth a fortune (and the fact that there's just nothing that sounds even remotely similar.)

I've got pretty much everything Karn's ever done; including some very nice Japan live bootleg shows. I never get sick of his playing. Not long after discovering Japan/Mick Karn, I got turned on to Brand X and Percy Jones - who Mick obviously ripped off in every good way. :wink:

And then Duran Duran ripped off Japan to the tune of international success and countless millions...

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:07 am

Recently I loved There Will be Blood soundtrack by john greenwood. One o f the best scores ever, lots of atonality.

Surprised no one mentioned Bernard Hermann here yet, specially Jason & the Argonauts soundtrack.
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:09 am

Bernard Herman is great.

On a much smaller scale, I'm a fan of Hal Hartley, the director who actually writes the score to all of his films. Henry Fool, all the way around is an incredible film.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:41 am

thelike5 wrote:
landrvr1 wrote:
eisnein wrote: +1 for that! Mick Karn is the main reason i started playing bass!

Amen to that.

And then Duran Duran ripped off Japan to the tune of international success and countless millions...

:lol:

Oh, but do I ever have a soft spot for those first 2 Duran albums. *sigh* And John Taylor was actually a fairly respectable bass player, lol.

One of Mick's finest moments, incidently, comes on Gary Numan's 'Dance' album. A phenominal album, and monster Mick rubbery bass action.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:03 am

thelike5 wrote:On a much smaller scale, I'm a fan of Hal Hartley, the director who actually writes the score to all of his films. Henry Fool, all the way around is an incredible film.
Love Hal Hartley! :P

Henry Fool is wonderful. When I first saw Henry Fool I wasn't aware that he did the scores to his films (I had only seen Trust before). I was very surprised to learn about the musical side of his life.

Yet another soundtrack that was purchased right after seeing the film.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:16 am

landrvr1 wrote: Percy Jones :wink:
Percy Jones did amazing work with Brian Eno. Particularly on Another Green World. Still some of the most incredible bass playing I have ever heard.

Ever hear the single Eno put out titled R.A.F.? He did it with a couple of women who called Snatch (Judy Nylon & Pat Palladin). Percy Jones's bass is huge!

Of course Jaco Pastorius is great too, but Percy's bass sounded like a living creature! Always going off in unexpected directions...

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:35 am

oblique strategies wrote:
landrvr1 wrote: Percy Jones :wink:
Percy Jones did amazing work with Brian Eno. Particularly on Another Green World. Still some of the most incredible bass playing I have ever heard.

Ever hear the single Eno put out titled R.A.F.? He did it with a couple of women who called Snatch (Judy Nylon & Pat Palladin). Percy Jones's bass is huge!

Of course Jaco Pastorius is great too, but Percy's bass sounded like a living creature! Always going off in unexpected directions...

Ahh. Jaco. What can one say, really? The Master. No one on electric bass has ever come close.

Jaco-->Percy-->Mick lol

RAF? I've never actually heard it, but seen it discussed. Man, I'm embarrassed. Wonder if it's readily available? No time like the present to track that down!

Percy's work in Brand X remains a personal fav. He's going to be doing some work with Richard Barbieri - another exJapan cat - pretty soon here I think. Mick must not have been available, haha.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:42 am

mohler wrote:Great Topic, Thanks. As I'm trying to use electronic in the scores that I'm getting to do.

I hadn't heard Cliff Martinez and I'm impressed.

I have a question, I bought Solaris from iTunes and some of it sounds distorted (as in not in a good way) i.e. in 'First Sleep' was it encoded badly and should I complain or is that the way it was intended to be? I've turned off my EQ and turned down the volume which has improved it a little but It's not great.
I listened to First Sleep again last night and could not hear any distortion whatsoever. Maybe you should complain. At what time does the distortion occur? Then I'll check again.

subbasshead

Post by subbasshead » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:57 am

my favourite two recent film scores are
tony takitani -jun ichikawa - ryuichi sakmoto
no county for old men - coen brothers - carter burwell

both films benefit hugely from the use of sparse music...
overscoring is a hollywood disease!

also the score for gus van sants death quadrilogy (elephant/gerry/last days/paranoid park)
specifically arvo part in gerry & ethan rose in paranoid park...

oh & brian eno's apollo score is a classic
(watch it in the film b4 u load it on yr ipod!)

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:59 am

My 2 faves:

Vangelis in Blade Runner
Giorgio Moroder in Scarface

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:12 am

subbasshead wrote: no county for old men - coen brothers - carter burwell
Is this available anywhere? I only know one cue, and it's great!

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:51 am

subbasshead wrote:oh & brian eno's apollo score is a classic
BTW: If you want to see the Apollo film, it was released with the title "For All Mankind"

Great music!

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:25 pm

FORMAT wrote:
i believe that is also David Torn's guitar ambient handiwork!

and also while discussing Mick Karn's amazing work- his track with Apache61 called Cycles where Mick puts the Bass in Drum and Bass!
Last edited by eisnein on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
second class robot

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:35 pm

FORMAT wrote:
Can't really find it any site to buy the mp3s.