im tempted to throw my bcr out the window !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robleighton22

im tempted to throw my bcr out the window !!!

Post by robleighton22 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:02 am

ok, im not getting anywhere with this thing. ive had it for a week and can not understand why it is soo difficult to use.

i managed to get mackie emulation to work. that is fine, but really i dont find it any quicker than using a mouse. in fact i find using a mouse easier and quicker than the bcr.

ok, thats clearly me getting used to things. now presets, i cant assign anything to my bcr. i open up live, i have mce on preset 2. i go to a random preset without mackie emulation, and turn off mackie control in ableton. i just wanna make my own map for djing. not one button will assign, nor will one button light up.

so i guess i hav to use something like bcedit or bcmanager to program the lights and the button/rottary functions. bcedit wont work. so bcmanager is the one. i try and make a setup, i send it to the bcr and i def does something. at the moment it takes me forever to write a simple preset where everybutton can be mapped to standard functions, i.e rotary will control rotary parameters in live, and buttons will control clips, play, start, stop, on/off for plugins, etc.

furthermore, whenevever i close bcmanager it never saves what i do.

im seriously lost with this device. i thought setting the mackie control would b the hard bit, but making a simple preset seems to b impossible. i was expecting it to b plug and play, and it really is not.

im def thinking now that i shld hav got a nocturn. any assistance will b appreciated. sorry to b such a novice. believe it or not, i know ableton very well, but this is my first proper controller (had an oxygen 8 that doesnt count, oh and an mpc, which actually so far was easier to map than the bcr).

misteron

Post by misteron » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:09 am

It seems unlikely you'd forget but I'll ask anyway as u haven't mentioned it... Have you activated the "Remote" switch for BCR2000 in the lower half of Live MIDI preferences pane?
(this should be regardless of your mce settings - of which I know nothing)
MBP 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.5, Live7Suite, Motu Ultralite Mk3, ADAM p11A

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:13 am

misteron wrote:It seems unlikely you'd forget but I'll ask anyway as u haven't mentioned it... Have you activated the "Remote" switch for BCR2000 in the lower half of Live MIDI preferences pane?
(this should be regardless of your mce settings - of which I know nothing)
bcr2000 remote is on, as mid yoke 1 (which is when i do want the as a control surface with mackie emulation and huskervu - which all works fine...its the making my own custom preset within live im having issues with). thanks for the response tho.

d-rektional

Post by d-rektional » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:34 pm

the BCR should be midi map-able direclty with ableton. I have a template with eq on four channels encoder groups 3 and 4, 2 is for a dedicated effects rack and 1 is auto map on what ever is selected.
not sure why you need to use the Mackie control settings.

Have you tried the BCR directly to Ableton ?

It took a bit to get into the different controller values , the manully touches on it. all the editing can be done within the BCR without using the onscreen edit. once you get it going it really is a good thing for live.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:07 pm

d-rektional wrote:the BCR should be midi map-able direclty with ableton. I have a template with eq on four channels encoder groups 3 and 4, 2 is for a dedicated effects rack and 1 is auto map on what ever is selected.
not sure why you need to use the Mackie control settings.

Have you tried the BCR directly to Ableton ?

It took a bit to get into the different controller values , the manully touches on it. all the editing can be done within the BCR without using the onscreen edit. once you get it going it really is a good thing for live.
ive tried it in ableton control mode. the majority of parameters r unmapple unless i program each button individually - which is long. as said, i hav an oxygen 8 and mpc, and both devices seem really easy to assign compared to the bcr. it might b ive messed about with the presets so much that nothing is mappable. not sure, but im certain that even when i first fired it up, i had issues mapping it.

im just in the process of moving house, so ill hav to spend some more time with it tommorow.

was wondering one thing at the moment.

with the buttons, if toggle off is selected, then the button will function when u hold it down and stop functioning when u release. toggle on, doesnt work as i imagine it should tho. when u hav it set as toggle on, u think it should b one press = on, and one more press = off. however, it seems to actually work like this: one press = on, second press = still on, third press = off. this causes loads of confusion in the mix. how do u correct this?

thanks for the response so far. sorry to b so annoyed...just hate when something isnt working like it should. im sure i just need more time with the bcr.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:35 pm

You should have bought the Nocturn my BCR is gathering dust

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:28 pm

and ill be outside ur window waiting to catch it :P

hang in there, its a lot more easier than it seems to be honest

also i reckon editing the bcr manually is just as easy as using software.. hang in there.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:57 pm

i thought birdie's bcfr editor is good it's in the yahoo bcf brc 2000 group

misteron

Post by misteron » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:24 am

robleighton22 wrote: i go to a random preset without mackie emulation [...]not one button will assign, nor will one button light up
Not sure what u mean by this.
You're not using a preset which has no lights around the encoders are you.
IF so, don't coz those encoders aren't sending anything IIRC.

Also, in what way do u want the buttons to light up?
In response to what?

Lastly, I'm not sure if you are also having trouble editing what the BCR is sending...
The BCR manual isn't terribly well written but, if u haven't already, have a good read thru the section on programming the BCR from the BCR and you'll see how easy it is.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.5, Live7Suite, Motu Ultralite Mk3, ADAM p11A

Low Frequency Obstinator

Post by Low Frequency Obstinator » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:25 am

If you dont want the long-haul of programming all the controls there is a preset available from the Behringers site called 'All encoders'

I use this as a pre-rolled starting point to make my own presets (only use the BCR and live midi map for this, no funky BC editors used at all)

Once sent to the BCR (I use midi-ox) you will have CC's set up for all the buttons and rotaries waiting to be mapped. Most are ready to go but you may have to change the way some of the controls work to suit the purpose (this is shown in the manual)
Live (yoghurt) - MBP- Circuit Bent Rampant Rabbit - Mongolian Nose Flute - 'The Marvelous Mechanical Mouse Organ' (on loan from Bagpuss) and a Swanee Whistle made from a used heroin syringe.