ever been banned from using ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
audiojunkies

Re:

Post by audiojunkies » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:48 pm

krachtwerk wrote:be the grown up one and play your cd's or don't play..
Good that it got sorted, I could not understand the artists supposed crass attitude,

that really is a cowards way, the chap should be allowed to dj on what equipment he chooses and at what BPM, I would say turn up with the laptop and play, when i used to run club tours artists and DJ's were all allowed to bring what they want, the only thing sometimes frowned on was a warm up DJ cramming in Big Room tracks at the end of thier set.

I think this type of Deadmau5 attitude stinks, and hopefully the cat is now out of the bag and the winner played happily, and hopefully had a blinder of a set, I work in the music business for dance labels all my life and have seen some silly ego's but this takes the biscuit. If it happens again with other sets maybe even write to his manager, they are based nest door to DJ Magazine offices in Brick Lane East London , good it got sorted this time though
Last edited by audiojunkies on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

audiojunkies

Re:

Post by audiojunkies » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:51 pm

MrTiddles wrote:I'm with 3dot on this. Tell them gaylords you're using Traktor or whatever, fire up a demo of it, then setup Live in the background. Then play all of the stuff he's caning about at the minute.

Personally I'd fucking kick off about it, phone Mixmag, DJ, Future Music etc, mention the competition and the restrictions you've been put under.

You could Milli Vanilli it, stick in a pre-done CD and pretend.

This sort of thing really annoys me.

What's your name and where you playing dude.... We can be there on mass to cheer you on!

- I agree, telling the media works like a dream, I did it years ago with an unscrupulous record label boss that didnt pay his bills, Company got wound up in the end when the media got hold of it. Works a treat.
Last edited by audiojunkies on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audiojunkies

Re:

Post by audiojunkies » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:54 pm

doc holiday wrote:
djadonis206 wrote: what if in 1997 the headliner was like, "You can't use technic 1200's" you have to use cassettes

-

walks into gig-

promoter "sorry dude you gotta play on the belt drives"

:P
No you cant use belt drives! Carl Cox is using them at Creamfields, How about 8 Track Cassettes???

audiojunkies

Re:

Post by audiojunkies » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:01 pm

aqua_tek wrote:i dont get why you ladies are still making such a big fuss.

i thought the issue had been resolved. Like i said, if the initial idea came from the headliner, then indeed he is a big diva. But seeing as how the problem no longer exists, i wouldnt be surprised if the agent is the one who deserves the bigger blame, probably having misunderstood a request more along the lines of what SWAN808 said.
"there isnt enough room for 2 laptop/live 'rigs' at the venue - so can the winner please use the CDJs"
and in the end, they allowed the winner to bring his Live rig, so why keep beating a dead horse?

Also, if you think about it, the 126 bpm limit is not so preposterous. Maybe he's playing around that bpm range, and wants to keep a decent flow between the opening set and his own. Makes sense. I'd want the same, if i were headlining, to be perfectly honest.
Absolute Crap... You cannot limit a DJs set by BPM!! DJ sets since time began have ebbed and flowed with tempo and keychanges, and if anyone sits at one tempo or in one key it makes an incredibly boring set!! and actually DJing at all one tempo would not give the clubbers a chance to rest, check out sets by master of the art, Danny Tenaglia, and more recently Soulwax, and any new york chicago dj from back in the day will tell you, what Frankie Knuckles once told me, when i was on his house tour of the UK with Fingers Inc, you have to work a crowd, slow and fast, to give them builds, peaks and troughs or they will get tired and bored... and go home early ... HAA HAA all good fun..

Emissary

Re: ever been banned from using ableton?

Post by Emissary » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:01 pm

I love to bathe SHAKA KAHN!

audiojunkies

Re: Deadmau5 crap

Post by audiojunkies » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:13 pm

Rave wrote:Why are you responding to posts made last year?
Lol - didnt spot the dates, But either way, needed to get a post about it, never heard so much ego waffle against a "young DJ winning a competition" in my life.

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:23 pm

I heard ego waffle before..

sparklepuff

Re: Deadmau5 crap

Post by sparklepuff » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:58 pm

audiojunkies wrote:
Rave wrote:Why are you responding to posts made last year?
Lol - didnt spot the dates, But either way, needed to get a post about it, never heard so much ego waffle against a "young DJ winning a competition" in my life.
Didn't spot the dates? This wasn't exactly hanging out on the front page.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:59 pm

dont use ableton but get a giant cat head

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:41 pm

the_antagonist wrote:dont use ableton but get a giant cat head
:lol: :lol: :lol:

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:07 am

Is this thread dead yet?
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:31 am

Just keep necro-bumping or people won't have anything else to bitch about..

Obvious Alias

Post by Obvious Alias » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:09 am

It's good that this was sorted out, even if I am posting to something that happened a year ago.

But on a side note, there are some DJ's that do have restrictions on the gear that the opener can use. I won't name the name simply because I saw how this thread turned into a flame-fest right away, when the problem was just a simple miscommunication.

But in the case(s) that I am referring to, there is a group of US-based DJ's that perform on a 2 mixer, multi-CDJ and turntable set up (well, exclusively CDJ's at this time, but they used to also use TTs), and they are non-negotiable that the opening performers do not use the multi-mixer set-up, even if the opener is a 2 (or more) DJ tandem. This restriction has led to major friction whenever this particular DJ conglomerate travels to the Raleigh NC/Charlotte NC area, as there are a few local DJ tandems in those areas that have been doing 2 mixer/3 or 4 deck setups for their sets for ages, and the paying audience tends to expect that these opening tandems will be using a multi-mixer setup... Major mud-slinging ensued, and at least one member of that US-based DJ group still is considered as being a major ass-hat and has seen his individual bookings in those areas dwindle to nothing.

Sad to see that there are "artists" out there that are so concerned with their percieved novelty that they throw such petty hissy-fits, but it is nice to see that this situation was not one of those situations.
I like cheese.

zalo

Post by zalo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:06 am

has everyone seen the new video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ArUgxtlJs