Your favorite beat mangling tool

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ohiowa

Post by ohiowa » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:43 pm

i use reaktor for many mangling issues but pluggo is pretty helpful as well.
// u n u r //
moderntapes.com/unur
facebook.com/uunnuurr
anywhere anyone 12"ep
coming soon!

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:50 pm

Old skool dirtiness. Sample some loops, set the arpeggiator a few BPM faster or slower than your song tempo and requantize.

Glitched, freaked and tweaked.

"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:52 pm

extraordinarily flexible to mangle in realtime as a live performance tool, check the tim exile video someone posted in another thread, and that's just using ensembles available out of the box (that is, w/o doing any mods and/or coding of your own).

re the 450 comment, i think reaktor for $450 is a ridiculous bargain (all the synths, fx, drummachines, sample manglers you could ever need) if you're looking for some outboard gear. put another way, i have live suite, but i'd give that up long before reaktor (others may disagree, and it's a close call for me based on how much i like operator and sampler, just saying it's definitely in the discussion, though CPU load can be crushing).

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:33 pm

ChiDJ wrote:Old skool dirtiness. Sample some loops, set the arpeggiator a few BPM faster or slower than your song tempo and requantize.

Yeah ..... Now I like that! 8) That sounds a very cool tech.. Gonna certainly give it a whirl!

Nice one.

Hd

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:43 pm

ChiDJ wrote:Old skool dirtiness. Sample some loops, set the arpeggiator a few BPM faster or slower than your song tempo and requantize.

Can you explain that a little further please ?
You do...what ?
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:45 pm

funny, that's what the machinedrum offers sampling wise, but 12 bit rather than 16 (so it's even more retro, while remaining very current in other ways).

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:19 am

logic_user99 wrote:
funknotik wrote: I've been trying to find beatlookup for a while I heard good things about it. Where exactly can I get it I didn't see it in the user library. A link please!
It's not in the U/L as it has it's very own thread; BLU is deamed to be the current pinnacle of user-designed patches.

Beat-Lookup Thread

You'll have to trawl through 30 pages of posts to find the various versions, but it's completely worth it. There's some very interesting read in there, too, regarding sampling and it's application.
Awesome, much appreciated.
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

db2

Post by db2 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:11 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:
logic_user99 wrote:
mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:Reaktor...Reaktor...Reaktor
*ping...lightbulb*

8) :D
Satisfies all beatmangling needs.
A nice BJ will prob get you mangling beats like no other...
I think I've seen you make this kind of comment before mike, is this used as a motivational tool at your workplace? :lol:

condra

Post by condra » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:16 pm

Artillery

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:27 pm

Coupe70 wrote:

Can you explain that a little further please ?
You do...what ?
Sorry Coupe70,

I wasn't watching this thread. I use my hardware sampler and record different drum loops on different keys. Adjust loop length for each key. I then set the external arp at 1-2 BPM faster or slower than the song tempo.

Record 8th's, 16th's and 32nds into the computer and then groove quantize. Sometimes no quantizing if I got a good feel.

Glitched and funked cause I'm a little ahead and / or bedhind the beat.

make sense?

T-
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:29 am

depends on what the op means by mangle? sounds like most people are talking about chopping samples in the glithch manner, but if you're talking about making something that sounds like one thing sound like something else, i like kantos, guitar rig, lives grain delay, I do alot of resampling, psp nitro,

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:14 am

ChiDJ wrote: make sense?
i'm not sure, i will try it...
thanks!
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:45 am

insta jungle... its a great plug, i've set up beat repeat to do close to the same thing but i like the way insta jungle works better.

i also use beat repeat, Slice to midi drum racks, and mad effects layering/re sample/ re effect tweak tweak.