Tone and other bike riders check this out

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
djadonis206

Tone and other bike riders check this out

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:14 pm

I'm neither for or against cycylists

having said that

check this guy out who has single handedly kept SF from putting in bike lanes and the such

He's a total quake but what ever his plan is, is working

basically his argument for keeping cyclists off the road is it will create more car traffic - the guy doen't even drive

Giving rights to some takes away rights of others - think cigarette smoking

read and discuss

http://www.wsj.com/article/SB1219193547 ... tors_picks
Ableton | Elektron

Music

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:49 pm

I just heard today that someone in California or San Fran or whatever has introduced a bill to put some sort of noisemaking device into hybrids like the Prius so that they don't runover people who are hard of hearing. I imagine it would be helpful as well for twats who ride or walk around with iPod buds stuck into their sensory holes.

One person's effort to save lives is another person's definition of Natural Selection.

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:54 pm

Ok, I'll bite :wink:

First off the guy comes across as an antagonist nut-case. Secondly, there's something odd in the laws if a single individual can have such a massive effect. Here in Berlin, we have organised groups and referenda if the issue becomes large enough - i.e. you need to gain popular support if you want to have a chance blocking the local authorities doing something - the higher the numbers, the better the chance. Seems fairer to me. So, the "10,000-strong San Francisco Bicycle Coalition" should have a stronger say than a lone curmudgeon. (Though the article does allude to a C-FAR coalition, I didn't see any numbers)
Mr. Anderson disagrees. Cars always will vastly outnumber bikes, he reasons, so allotting more street space to cyclists could cause more traffic jams, more idling and more pollution.
The logic doesn't really work as a) many people will cycle instead of driving, and b) each cyclist is a far more efficient use of road area compared to a car.

Just as an aside, "keeping cyclists off the road is it will create more car traffic" wasn't his argument, more congestion was.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:56 pm

he could end up being the bike's best advocate, he's the perfect villain, a straight white old male.
He continues to blog from his apartment in an old Victorian home. "Regardless of the obvious dangers, some people will ride bikes in San Francisco for the same reason Islamic fanatics will engage in suicide bombings -- because they are politically motivated to do so," he wrote in a May 21 post.

"In case anyone doubted that you were a wingnut, this statement pretty much sums things up!" one commenter retorted.

Priuses - don't know what's weird about that, those things freak me out when I see them backing out of parking spots completely silent. safer for kids, dogs and the average person who isn't paying attention.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:25 pm

Tone Deft wrote: Priuses - don't know what's weird about that, those things freak me out when I see them backing out of parking spots completely silent. safer for kids, dogs and the average person who isn't paying attention.
God, I wish I had a Prius when I was younger. Would have made sneaking out of the house and driving out of the driveway and coming home super stealth. I rent Prius' everywhere I travel if they're available and I drive around at night looking for blind people walking around. I'm a new kind of serial killer.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:11 pm

the prius has a backup beep standard

you can turn it off if you know how (along with all the annoying fasten seat belt beeps)

its freaking annoying, burt the backup camera helps to avoid running people over also.

Keddy

Post by Keddy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:06 am

8O, Americans have this great thing called Bureaucracy. See, we feel that no matter how moronic an individual may be, no matter how little they have actually contributed to society, that person still has the right to get pissy about shit and sue the hell out of everyone. It's why physicians in my state can't even afford their malpractice insurance, everyone sues everyone else. Even the government. According to this article, instead of letting it go to a popular vote, which would have solved this issue completely, this little motherfucker has been trying to sue the local government over the smallest holes in their case for the addition of the bike lanes. What a prick.

This infuriates me. As a bicycle mechanic, rider, and car owner, I see these types of problems from every single angle. Bike lanes are a necessity in urban settings, and any hindrance to there creation is a real problem. That being said, not all cyclists are as responsible as they should be. It's illegal to wear headphones when you're driving a car, which means it's illegal to wear headphones when riding a bicycle. However, everyday I see more and more individuals doing exactly this, not paying any attention to what's going on around them, and acting as if they have MORE of a right to be on the road than cars. It actually pisses me off when a cyclist is riding on a busy bridge, or a narrow back road; It's not safe, and there are other options. However, if there is a wide shoulder and/or a suitable bike lane, then I am glad to see people riding bicycles. I always wish I could join them. I work well outside of the city, where there are no bicycle lanes or suitably wide shoulders, and it is therefore incredibly dangerous for me to ride my bike. :cry:

end rant.
Inspiron 1520 - XP SP3 - Ableton Live7 - Reason 4 - M-Audio Axiom25 - Novation ReMote ZeroSL - Korg PadKontrol - M-Audio MobilePre - Ibanez SGR Bass - Hilo Ukulele

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:42 am

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Mr. Anderson's stance wasn't a direct response to Critical Mass, which is a monthly bike ride in San Francisco that that draws hundreds to thousands of cyclist WHO COMPLETELY TAKE OVER THE STREETS, PREVENTING CARS & PEOPLE FROM MOVING, & GENERALLY CAUSE HAVOC.

They drive through red lights, block traffic for up to 15 minutes or more, etc. This has been going for 16 years, & is spreading to other cities & countries.

While they might have a perfectly legitimate agenda (draw attention to bicyclists who should have their rights & privileges respected, just as car drivers also should), their methods are pathetic.

Rather than get people on their side it just alienates would-be supporters. It is purely egotistical, privileged, asshole bullshit.

My muthafuckin' 2 cents.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:14 pm

doc holiday wrote:the prius has a backup beep standard

you can turn it off if you know how (along with all the annoying fasten seat belt beeps)

its freaking annoying, burt the backup camera helps to avoid running people over also.

Here we have a car that is probably the best Hybrid around, low emissions, reduces noise pollution, blah blah blah. And there's people that actually want to ADD sound to the fucker so the hard of hearing and iPod users won't get run over. There's just always something, isn't there? Always someone who wants to make this world as antiseptic and childproof as possible. Rarely out of any real sympathy for people's well-being, mind you. Oh no. It's usually out of fear of lawsuits. The thought of legislators spending .2 seconds on this fucking issue when there's about - oh - 5 fucking million other serious problems remaining is fascinating.

Fuck. Drunk drivers continue to kill by the thousands every year. Instead of spending needless time trying to pass a law to put a Chevy 454 engine sound in a Prius, why don't you propose a law that would get these assholes off the street after they kill their first carload of people? Maybe a law that says we can chop off their arms after the 2nd carload?

Here's a thought: Pay attention when you're out and about. It's dangerous out there. You could stub a toe.

the ar

Post by the ar » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:58 pm

I agree.
People should be focused on what's going on around them, specially on the streets.
Not the other way around.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:25 pm

it's like Keddy said, the sue happy bastards are killing us while the lawyers laugh their way to the bank.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:50 pm

I ride every day. I don't know how it is in other places, but bike riding in Chicago - especially along the lakeshore - is utter pandemonium these days.

All in all, the worst pedestrian offenders are the roller bladers. These assholes all think they're in a bad 1970s roller skating flick - weaving and bobbing and dashing and cruisin' with their iPod buds jammed in their ears. Totally oblivious to their surroundings. Bicyclists on the whole are fairly aware. Roller bladers just don't have a fucking clue. I've seen these asswipes mow down about 2 times the number of walkers that bike riders do...

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:31 pm

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:09 pm

I'm holding my tongue on this one because it's covered in aluminum, rubber, and bike grease. ;) However, it might be a good idea to duck out of this, everyone. Bike vs. car threads tend to grow very quickly and piss everyone off.
That being said, please watch out for yourself and your fellow man. Obey all the rules, and ride/drive safely.

Tohtruck

Post by Tohtruck » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:10 am

I'm guessing this guy's got a pretty sweet deal with automobile and oil lobbyists.

The congestion thing doesn't really make sense since one rationale for having the bike lanes is to encourage automotorists to bike instead of driving their car. It's not like having the bike lanes will all of a sudden spawn litters of bike riders that will hog up street space from motorists.