DJs: how locked into a genre are you?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:53 pm

imagine a huge cock up like a really skinny guys ass

that's what I play!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:54 am

djadonis206 wrote:imagine a huge cock up like a really skinny guys ass
that's what I play!
R Kelly? or was that under-age girls?

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:33 am

Silverfish wrote:As DJs, shouldn't we have one rule?

If it makes people dance, play it.

That is, of course, an over-simplified statement, but I would think the point still stands. I'm young enough I haven't really fallen into a subgenre that I stick to, nor would I want to. I listen to soooo much music, and so many types of music, and I think it would really suck to limit myself.

Perhaps this is when two or three monikers would help a person out.
Well, there are a lot more situations where DJs can play than just dances. Some of my favorite gigs were after hours & chill rooms where people were lounging & listening. There are other environments where I DJed that had nothing to do with dancing. For example, Video Salon in San Francisco was designed for VJs & other video artists to come together to play & share information in a non-working or competitive environment. I provided the music that they could VJ to, but not all of it dance oriented. Really nice vibe!

But, I take your point seriously. I play what I think will work to get people to dance (when I'm doing a dance gig), & still play a nice range of music that I genuinely care about.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:36 am

nobbystylus wrote:"post germanic micro mini skirt house" is all i play.. :wink:
wow, that one is a screamer. i might have to convert to THAT style.

no serious, no style boundaries here, i personally call it techouse, so people leave me alone with there style wanking [very extreme and stupid here in berlin, that style wanking thing], but i play pretty much everything from house over breaks to techno and god knows what. a yeah... post germanic micro mini skirt house. that's it.

p.s. people who are stucked in strictly one genre are usually boring as hell and not very bright.
*** Image GAFM ***