Beats and drugs? How many?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:44 pm

SuperBassMexican wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:what's the first thing a hippy says when he runs out of pot?

man, this music SUCKS!
No........He doesn't laugh at your posts.
OK hippy.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:06 pm

Tone Deft wrote:what's the first thing a hippy says when he runs out of pot?

man, this music SUCKS!
:lol: Classic!

silverlulu

Post by silverlulu » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:34 pm

most of last week i took loads of e and got stoned all the time, didn't sleep much and wrote loads of lyrics and made music. i cleaned up my act around monday or tuesday and have spent the last few days sculpting my music and the lyrics i wrote and even tho technically my depleted serotonin levels should make me hate it. it is FUCKING AMAZING WORK.

i am starting to really think that i can take my music somewhere. drugs help me a lot.
1.6ghz dual core laptop, 1.5 gig ram - Live 6, Massive, Albino, Z3ta, Battery, Morphine, Dominator. Alesis io2, Edirol pcr-30 midi keyboard, perception 100 mic and shure sm 58 mic.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Wow. Thank you all for your honest on the matter.
@ silverlulu:
"LOSERS don't do drugs"
I'm sort of discovering I'm the captain of the Failboat. Thanks.

@ continuum:
So why ask the question?
Because even if it's not a part of my life, it's a part of the culture, and I have to know how to deal with that. There is definitely an image associated with drug users (around my parts, at least), and there is definitely an image associated with those involved in electronic music.

@ Andydes
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Seriously, how can you have never had a drink? This had better be for religious reasons.
I just... never did. It's not a health issue. It's not a religious issue. It's not about being an elitist ass hole (I work in a bar, ffs). It's just a personal choice. Some people are vegetarian for no better reason than they want to be vegetarian. Same thing.

Thanks again for the discussion, guys. I appreciate it.

Next question: what affect does my decision to remain permasober have on any career in electronic music that I may pursue?

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:sounds like you're flying coach.
t DAWGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

amcnally336

Post by amcnally336 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:15 pm

I love the myth that somehow you can hear music better or appreciate it better when on drugs. You know how many PROFESSIONAL mixers and mastering engineers do drugs before they mix down an album...ZERO!!!
One of the first things EVERY SINGLE decent book on mixing says is to NEVER mix under the influence. If drugs were the gateway to enhanced super-hearing powers and perception, obviously the professionals would all be getting fucked up!! But they are not! What does that say about the magical abilities of drugs????
Drugs can be fun (I have consumed massive amounts in my day), and they definitely can shift your perception, but all the benefits come with costs...just like every other choice in life. To think that drugs have some necessary part to understanding or appreciating music is just DUMB! I am all for responsible drug use, but I also ride a sport bike and could go on about how you could NEVER appreciate Drum and Bass until you've heard it cranked at 110 mph on a nice set of twisties...but what's the point? Generally these arguments are disguised elitist bullshit, like " I am on drugs and have been somewhere only the special secret tribe of illuminated hipster have been and i laugh at you inferior straighties who don't have a clue how special I am!!" Ego, plain and simple! I should know...I have been there!
Whatever the state of mind that Nirvana is, it certainly does NOT need drugs to sustain it, and if you were REALLY so smart you would realize that ANY state of mind which needs a force outside oneself to sustain couldn't possibly be true nirvana, but merely another set of karmic reactions. My goal, at this point in my life, is to attain TRUE PEACE, which will obviously be self-sustaining and self-creating. Everything else is ultimately just bullshit! Maybe fun bullshit, but impermanent bullshit. Fuck that ! I want permanence of mind, not just another reaction. That is why I rarely do drugs anymore. I still venture about once a year, but it really just doesn't interest me anymore. I want something else....something LASTING. I only put all this out there so people might profit from my experiences and reflect upon the assumptions and predispositions they carry within them. What are you REALLY after? Who ARE you?

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:20 pm

@ amcnally336- thanks.... feeling better already (seriously).

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:31 pm

amcnally336 wrote:If drugs were the gateway to enhanced super-hearing powers and perception, obviously the professionals would all be getting fucked up!! But they are not! What does that say about the magical abilities of drugs????
Many people would agree that mixing/mastering while high is not a good idea. Actually writing or listening to music? That's another story....

Psychedelic substances have definitely affected my music and the whole way I approach sound in a positive way. I don't think you HAVE to take drugs to achieve the same thing, but I think psychedelics open this up for many more people than would otherwise.

I have not had altogether good experiences with performing while really high...maybe a little stoned and tipsy, but I've had a couple of quite embarrassingly bad performances because my screen was melting down, time was all elasticy, and the gravity on Jupiter does really strange things to your ability to concentrate effectively!

SuperBassMexican

Post by SuperBassMexican » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:37 pm

It's fun to experiment and then sober up. I make tunes regardless of my sobriety. Party favors are an added spice to life.
apple macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB 250GB, Presonus Firebox, Live 7 SWEET , Micron , LV2 , Padkontrol , Oxygen 8 , Korg Er-1 MK II , Juno 106 , Kaoss 3, Mackie 802

http://www.myspace.com/destroy281

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:50 pm

anyone one that needs drugs to enhance music is listening to horrible music.
the music by itself is suppose to bring out all sorts of emotions. the problem with most music is the emotion it brings out is boredom.
listen to the great full dead, they are horrible shit but alot of people on acid loved them, why.. because they were on acid.
you dont need drugs to enjoy legitimately good music. good people and a good atmosphere will enhance it for you.
also try talking to some hard core drug user's when they are not on drugs, its all gibberish shit poring out of there mouth from there fried brain.
i know alot of people that have mental problems (like schizophrenia) that would have never had mental problems if they would have laid off of acid.
ever talk to some one and it takes them a really long time to respond to simple questions? ever talk have a conversation with some one that just dont get it, and no matter how much you try to educate them they still dont understand? this is what hard drug use does.
we already have enough ignorant people running around (alot of them are even in positions of authority) do we really need anymore?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:48 pm

nathannn wrote:anyone one that needs drugs to enhance music is listening to horrible music.
Well that's just dumb. That's like saying anyone who needs to put a flanger on a guitar is just a shitty guitar player. It's not that you NEED to put a flanger on there, but it sure is cool if you do.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:58 pm

When you're young and stupid you can't see the potential damage drugs can do. When you're old and boring you have may have seen or experienced the potential damage drugs can do. Unfortunately when you're young and stupid you don't listen to the old and boring.
..?

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:12 pm

Just thinking about that the other day....there was a time I would have taken just about anything put in front of me, just to see what it was like. I feel very very fortunate to have discovered psychedelics before alcohol, powder, smack, anything.....so glad I never got hooked on pharmies, or any of that shit.

continuum

Post by continuum » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:28 am

Silverfish wrote:@ continuum:
So why ask the question?
Because even if it's not a part of my life, it's a part of the culture, and I have to know how to deal with that. There is definitely an image associated with drug users (around my parts, at least), and there is definitely an image associated with those involved in electronic music.
I wouldn't over-think it. Some do, some don't. Some make better music because of drugs and some don't. Some make good music DESPITE the drugs and so on. I don't think it signifies that much.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:38 am

Silverfish I sometimes ask the same question, though I completely agree w/ continuum's last comment.