To low volume in Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:21 am

I trust my ears, my experience of working with several different daws, including Cubase, Logic, Reason, Sonar and Soundforge. And in my experience, Fruity Loops rendering is also no different in the last 2 or 3 versions.

This and my 22 years recording experience and the several certified engineering courses I have done over the years. I am not a fanboy for fanboyism sake.

If you are so disappointed with Live then you should go with another application. Live's poor audio is merely down to misguided articles such as musictech mag's review of Live 6 when the author expressed his opinion that Live didn't sound as good, yet he forgot to consider the effects of warping,

If you are getting louder mixes elsewhere, it is probably down to the plugins you are using or possibly the pan law settings, but I have tested as have many others on this forum which disprove the myth about Live's audio quality.

And yes, JJarvis - if your recording was well done, good gain structure, good transients and such, loudness issues are easily corrected with gain, or compression/limiting.

Read the books. Do the courses. Learn. If that is too much work, get someone else who's experienced to master your work so the volume compares to your mastered references.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:05 am

For me, the whole argument is strange because i just don't find the same problems.

I get the quality i want at the right loudness form Live, I've never had a problem with Live's quality.

I've also never seen any solid evidence that Lives quality is any worse than any other DAW, however i have seen plenty of evidence proving that actually there is no difference.

capo-wear-i

Post by capo-wear-i » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:19 am

Pepehouse wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:If Live's quality sucks then go with something else and get off the pot.

We all know through exhaustive evidence and testing that this is false. I own Cubase SX, run Logic Pro 7 at my work and the rendered audio is the SAME in these and Live - no difference.

Learn how to mix and master and your volume/dynamics should get better, or send your track off to be professionally mastered.

Some good references are Bobby Owsinski - 'The Mixing Engineer's Handbook (2nd edition)' and the mastering bible is 'Mastering Audio - The Art And The Science' (second edition) by Bob Katz. This requires some experience and background knowledge.

Making quality records is not a 'magic button' business. It takes work and knowledge. Read up and educate yourself.
I don't need to read a mastering book to know what my ears tell me, even Traktor sounds louder and better, I think some people at this forum are too in love with Ableton to admit the truth. I have tried Cubase and sounds much better, I use Soundforge regularly and sounds also better, trust your ears instead of believe that you are using the best software in the world just because you paid for it and don't want to feel you are ripped off. Live is not in the same league as
Cubase or Logic is in the league of Fruity Loops and Reason that's all.
If you render the output of Live, Logic, Cubase, Pro-tools - all without plug-ins & timestretching they will all sound exactly the same.

You can say 'I prefer the sound of logic's plug-ins'. That's a valid opinion. But it's only an opinion.

The rest is just mis-informed nonesense.