Ableton on Lenovo ThinkPad

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
breakphreak

Ableton on Lenovo ThinkPad

Post by breakphreak » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Hey there!

Rare case, but I am considering the following configuration: Ableton on Lenovo ThinkPad X200, comfortable and powerful enough for music production during long journeys. Hence, a few questions:

1. Did anyone here experienced music production, utilizing any of Lenovo laptops (maybe even Lenovo X series)?

2. If "yes", what was/is your operation system (probably, XP and not Vista)

3. If "yes", what was/is your soundcard? (My bet is Echo Indigo IO).

4. I would be glad to hear more recommendations, not including the obvious MacBook-related option.

thanks a lot for the knowledge sharing
BreakPhreak

misteron

Post by misteron » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:47 pm

I'm not excatly the candidate u want as mine is a IBM Think Pad.
Using Indigo IO and XP Pro.
At least 4 years old (bought it 2nd hand).
Built like a tank!!
Greaat battery life and fast
MBP 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.5, Live7Suite, Motu Ultralite Mk3, ADAM p11A

matsimpson

Post by matsimpson » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:00 pm

Mines a Lenovo R series think pad, and like misteron says its built like a tank. I use XP, and Line 6 Toneport for guitar recording, DJ I/O for live use, and if i cant plug them in for whatever reason I'll just use the onboard soundcard. Live runs really nice and smooth, no problems even with lots of effects and using it live. Great battery life, and the "thinklight" is really useful in the dark. I would definitely recommend it.

raw

Post by raw » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:44 pm

Hi,

I have a Thinkpad T61 (ND218FR)..
With live 7, XP Pro, works perfectly with Native Instrument Audio Kontrol 1 and RME Fireface 400. (excellent performance with a second HD in ultrabay slim..)

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:21 am

T61, EMU 1616m. Main reasons for selecting IBM were PCMCIA, build quality, do lots of live work, read road/stage abuse and better cooling then MBP or Vaio which is important for my video work>running 100% CPU for hours.
Display is not as good as MBP or Vaio.
It is Vista Business but I got it set with XP pro(free of charge) and will probably never use Vista.
For really portable notebook Vaio SZ series are the best, amazing battery life 3x longer then MBP or Thinkpad and they have both express and PCMCIA (and all TI chips)