Everything wrong with the record industry in one scene

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
dave999z

Everything wrong with the record industry in one scene

Post by dave999z » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:26 am

I was eating lunch today, turned the TV on (my bad), and that godawful show The Hills was on - you know the painfully badly reenacted one about spoiled retards in LA. And in one scene I saw that one of the annoying chicks on the show works at Epic records.

Not that I needed any more convincing, but I thought this just epitomized the state of affairs. Fans are supposed to pay their hard-earned money to a label, which pockets 90+% of it before giving any to the artist, in order that she can have a job.

The bad news is that, as completely obsolete as major labels are, they aren't going anywhere, because probably 75% of music consumers are not even seriously into music. Labels create for that common denominator. To create the type of schlock the drones will buy requires (i) label money in the studio to touch up lousy performances and radioize (i.e., squash the life out of) the end product, and (ii) a label to unlock its promotion machine (radio play, movie soundtracks, tv placements, access to the concert venue they have exclusive booking rights at, etc.). A label will only provide those two things if one first signs an unconscionable record contract.

The good news is that host recording and the interwebnet allow bands to go another route. While it will not lead to major-label type exposure, it also avoids the major label's control over the product, which makes for way more interesting, less homogenous music. It may be hard to have a career via this grass roots platform, but it can't be any worse than playing the lottery for the chance to whore out to a major.

Sorry for the rant. It's Sunday.

j2j

Post by j2j » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:44 am

a million dollars, makes anybody mainstream. if you had a million bucks to market your music, you could be " famous "

problem is getting it back in this market...

Look mate, Paris Hilton, has had a major label album. Why?

She simply had the million dollars to do it with.

To her, it was like buying a ford f150... then never driving it...

whatever.
too many lasers...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:43 am

I make a rule not to watch anything with a girl in it that looks like she'd love to show me her new ring tone.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

kaffein

Re: Everything wrong with the record industry in one scene

Post by kaffein » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:35 am

dave999z wrote:Turned the TV on.
That's where the problem began.

bragi0

Post by bragi0 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:50 pm

The real problem is that the industry is now run by people who worked their way up to the top, usually artists (or should I say former artists?)

When it was run by suits who had no clue about music they let musicians create things and hoped it worked. Now you get people like Simon Cowell at the top saying "in order to make money you have to be like this"