why does such good music get ignored in favour of pop crap?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:53 pm

Dominik wrote:
silverlulu wrote:yeah so many people fall off after they have made it. i mean, DJ shadow was amazing, but fell off like a joke. not that he went mainstream but with his success he headed that way.
if you growing up,having the impression,making music, oh yeah,success, allot of chicks around here....oh wow!
you're already FUCKED!
Bingo!

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:27 am

Dominik wrote:
knotkranky wrote:Business is business.
the truth is.
it is not.
I don't get you. But maybe you don't get me either.

The music business is a business. Radio sells things. That's its number one obligation and music is "chosen" to keep listeners glued to a station for the adds bought by its sponsors. So, by default pop (popular) music is written specifically for add revenue and subsequently rewarded with Grammy's etc, for making lots of money for lots of people. The internet is turning out to be not that much different.

Record companies have no responsibilities to us. They are in the business of making money and not just breaking artist which takes a hell of a lot of investment for them. That's why they like repackaging or remastering and reselling artist that have already been primed for consumption.

If any one of you fuckers got a major record deal, you wouldn't give a shit anymore anyway. And if you pressured your new record company to "do this and do that", they would tell you; "How about we just forget about your record deal" Then you would say: "OH shit, I was just joking, should I start licking your balls or your ass"

You have two choices; work through them or work around them. Regardless, you'll be doing business that will piss you off. Unless you can sell points to an investor and piss them off.

All that said, I love it :wink:

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:31 am

knotkranky wrote:
Dominik wrote:
the truth is.
it is not.

The music business is a business. Radio sells things. That's its number one obligation and music is "chosen" to keep listeners glued to a station for the adds bought by its sponsors. So, by default pop (popular) music is written specifically for add revenue and subsequently rewarded with Grammy's etc, for making lots of money for lots of people. The internet is turning out to be not that much different.

Record companies have no responsibilities to us. They are in the business of making money and not just breaking artist which takes a hell of a lot of investment for them. That's why they like repackaging or remastering and reselling artist that have already been primed for consumption.

If any one of you fuckers got a major record deal, you wouldn't give a shit anymore anyway. And if you pressured your new record company to "do this and do that", they would tell you; "How about we just forget about your record deal" Then you would say: "OH shit, I was just joking, should I start licking your balls or your ass"

You have two choices; work through them or work around them. Regardless, you'll be doing business that will piss you off. Unless you can sell points to an investor and piss them off.

Bingo AND Monopoly!

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:51 am

knotkranky wrote:
Dominik wrote:
the truth is.
it is not.

sorry i forgot.
the answer is right in here.

the SPONSORS FUCK YOU.

(i don't think it's a question of quality)

really nobody need them at all anymore ,until you want to keep up this crap or beeing proud to tell that you are working for the mafia.
bring the swing BACK to THIS germans!

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:01 am

Dominik wrote:
knotkranky wrote:
Dominik wrote: the truth is.
it is not.

sorry i forgot.

the SPONSORS FUCK YOU.

really nobody need them at all anymore ,until you want to keep up this crap or beeing proud to tell that you are working for the mafia.
Well, you want to make nice with some sponsors (if you had a say in it) depending on if you care where your money comes from. I think you would take a nice check from RedBull for putting something together for them. Massengill? probably not. Although i'd take that one for fun, lol. Logo could be fun.

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:30 am

knotkranky wrote:
Dominik wrote:
knotkranky wrote: I don't get you. But maybe you don't get me either.

sorry i forgot.

the SPONSORS FUCK YOU.

Well, you want to make nice with some sponsors (if you had a say in it) depending on if you care where your money comes from. I think you would take a nice check from RedBull for putting something together for them. Massengill? probably not. Although i'd take that one for fun, lol. Logo could be fun.
why do you think red bull is a nice company?
do you think they support artist?
i don't care WHERE the money come until i'm not involved with shit.

i agree,logo can be fun,marketing can be fun,radio can be fun.
CAN BE.
but WHERE IS THE FUN?
i think it's highly dangerous to make serious business working for moralic CRAP business.
other than that.
yes there could be allot of fun.

making a clip for red bull for 500€ after working my asss off?
and then?
nothing happend.

again.
they are only eating young artist.theres is absolutley no support for artists.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:48 am

Ya got to think bigger Dom, so put a zero on the end of your pay.

Think Red Bull tour support, merchandising, etc.

Recording time too :wink:

http://mixonline.com/studios/profiles/a ... l_studios/

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:15 am

knotkranky wrote:Ya got to think bigger Dom, so put a zero on the end of your pay.

Think Red Bull tour support, merchandising, etc.

Recording time too :wink:

http://mixonline.com/studios/profiles/a ... l_studios/
if they give one person 5000€ it's the same like LOTTO.

it is a lie.
they only want to benefit for themself and give a shit on artists.
i think when you go to forget about this nonsense and really trying to go for the music it is a better or simply a good approach.
it is much harder to believe there is nothing supporting you but it is otherwise also freaking good for art and the music.
of course it is good to say.
never say never.
finaly i have nothing against the owner of red bull but i'm sure i would have big trouble with the marketing section.
imagine.
marketing is based on "connections" those youngsters working there got them job from a "friend" or whatnot.
marketing is at least the last field of study i would choose myself.
it is hidden to learn ripping allot of people without knowing it either.
marketing is dangerous!

i'm following the music scene since 20 years here in munich and i never saw any succsess from anybody.
i think it is much more realistic to leave this shit,don't get involved and only concentrate in the music.
if you are good enough you can make concerts gigs or whatever.
but leave out the companys from your brain.
you will be thankfull later.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:32 pm

I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if this has been said....

I used to own a record shop before which I'd DJ'd for a long time. What really surprised me was the amount of new releases coming out every week and the quality of them. For every dance track that made it in the charts there was easily another 10-20 that were just as good and didn't make it.

If you are able to answer why that one track made it then you should be working in pr at one of the major labels. Being picked up by a major obviously helps, having support from big name DJ's help but I reckon luck is probably the biggest factor.

BongoBennie

Post by BongoBennie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:13 pm

Music never saved a baby on an operating table, its not really that important to life itself,its only something we really like, to try to figure out why this and why that is a waste of time.
lights, drums, techno

silverlulu

Post by silverlulu » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:55 pm

music saved my life when i broke up with my girlfriend, lost my circle of friends and was completely disillusioned with the world.

if you don't think music can save lives you shouldn't be making it.
1.6ghz dual core laptop, 1.5 gig ram - Live 6, Massive, Albino, Z3ta, Battery, Morphine, Dominator. Alesis io2, Edirol pcr-30 midi keyboard, perception 100 mic and shure sm 58 mic.

Marx

Post by Marx » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:07 pm

HAHAHA!

You said: "Why do so many good musicians go unnoticed?"
I was like: "This guy is completely right...."
You said: "yea like Tom McRae"
I was Like: ?????????? what the fuck is this guy talking about?"

silverlulu

Post by silverlulu » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:22 pm

i don't get you? are you saying he's not a great artist or are you saying he is noticed? or both?

try not to just come in here and give me a hard time about my musical taste cos i don't wanna go down that route today.
1.6ghz dual core laptop, 1.5 gig ram - Live 6, Massive, Albino, Z3ta, Battery, Morphine, Dominator. Alesis io2, Edirol pcr-30 midi keyboard, perception 100 mic and shure sm 58 mic.

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:30 pm

it's about music right?
i'm repeating.
i don't believe it is worth to work for any of this big companys until they go the way of building up and not destroying.
mostly the big companys are destroying because employers believe in blonde tits, cocain addiction and you don't want to meet one of "them" in the night.
artist-eater mothefucker.
it is A principal.
if the industrie is changing the mind we all can notice so.
right now they are the worstest motherfuckers on earth,destroying everything.
they should eat their cheap money and later they can puke it out.
worthless shit.
i'm very sorry for the victims.

silverlulu

Post by silverlulu » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:54 pm

dude you are funny man. i think you write pretty good english as well. you are right in what you are saying.