Korg Kaoss Pad w/Live???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ryst

Post by ryst » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:03 am

I've just checked that you can record your movements into a clip and then feed them back in the KP2, the sound will be processed as if you were actually doing the movement, all in synch!
the KP2 sends and receives program changes, so you can automate the effects you want. you don't have to think anymore: "on this scene effect 53 is good, and on this song it's effect 46". all automated!
So the KP2 can control any parameter that can be controlled via midi in Live? Great!!! I wish I could record clip parameters with the KP2 :cry:
For instance, to be able to control pitch in realtime with the KP2 or any midi controller would be awesome. Maybe someday.
now for controlling vsti, yes you can, but it's quite difficult to change the CC numbers quickly on the KP. so it should be the opposite way: the VSTi should "midi learn" the KP.
there's a "effect depth" knob that will enable to use the pad as a midi controler without processing the audio in. and then you can have both the sound of your VSTi and of the audio signal changing at the same time.
I don't care about controlling VSTi's with the KP2. Just effects. but then again that could change. :twisted: I never thought about routing the VSTi's audio into the KP2 and then back into LIVE....OMG!!!!!!! This is going to be insane!!!! :twisted:

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:08 am

i used to use the kaos pad quite a lot but i droped it as i got bored of it.
there is only a few good sounding effects & i started to get bored .
plus when you trigger an effect the sound comes a bit louder than the original sound.
without a good compressor at the end , it's pretty hard to adjust the gain to a level where the signal is not distorted or amplified.
the best result comes when you use it mixed with the original signal, thru a different channel than the original with different eq settings but if you travel to play live you need to carry a mixer with you .by experience it can be very costly in weight at airports if you carry a lot of gears.
also i broke one traveling because the kaos pad is built like a toy that's probably why peoples like it.

ryst

Post by ryst » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:14 am

Please drop by my forum when you get your kp's up and running, and let us know how it's all sounding. I would love to hear the audible results. I would like to share more ideas with people about stretching these little machines to their limits.
I will definitley share the audio results and I will drop by your forum regularly! I am purchasing a new dual2.5ghz G5 at the end of this month. After that, I will be purchasing at least one KP2 and maybe 2 if I can afford them. I will have 2 eventually!

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:19 am

i saw funkstorung using a couple of kp2's at the show in la.

k

Nick Maxwell

Post by Nick Maxwell » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:01 pm

would have loved to see that!

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:07 pm

It's great to resample with. Using the mute as a gate is even easier than the envelopes as it works in real time.