Prefuse 73 style vocal edits.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pribeh_tom

Post by pribeh_tom » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:03 pm

scott Herren (aka prefuse) still uses his MPC, at least for performance. I performed at a show with him last year. Considering how epic his recorded work has been I found his performance underwhelming. He pretty much doubled beats on his mpc to a soundtrack that could of been playing out of itunes for all I know. I'm not sure how computer savvy he is.

cudos to makehaste for that gating technique. I use an mpc and if you want a lot of the prefuse, broken beat, glitch-hop sound than I suggest you also try monophonic chops. I'm not sure how you do this in live again but it's essentially one of the defining elements of that sound.
Macbook Pro (core2duo), iMac (santa rosa), OSX 10.5, X-Station, G-Drive, MPC 1000 (JJ OS 4.95).

peterneo

Post by peterneo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:23 pm

Can't really add much to his technique since I'm still a newb to the max, but I thought this might provide a bit of insight on what he uses in addition to a mpc.

http://www.prefuse73.com/

and go to photos. They are towards the bottom. It's kind of hard to see, but it's not Pro Tools.

Fan boys unite. :D

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:29 pm

cut shit up and put it back together WITH YOUR FINGERS

that's the key.
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

makehaste

Post by makehaste » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:32 pm

another cool thing for people with reaktor there is a free ensemble called
Rex in.Fx this is a simple effect that takes in audio and it has like 10 diffrent effects you can trigger. there is all your normal glitchy features, i only use the 4 stutter features theres 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32....varitions that you can trigger i then put this effect into a effect rack on chain.and assign those 4 stutter buttons to the macro controlls. then on another chain i build the equivelent of a wet/dry chain. ( Machinate posted a tutorial about how to build wet/dry chain in your racks for plugs that dont have one). then after that i assign a midi knob to the chain select range, then you assign your midi controll buttons to the macros that you assigned your stutters to........after all that now you throw your new stuttery effect rack to what ever track you want to stutter and now you go nuts. using your wet/dry knob to fade in and out of your stutters.. it sound freekin awesome. Im to the point now where i put a more advanced version of the same rack on a audio track and buss all my other tracks to it its awesome you just play all your stutters and go back later and edit the best ones .. i love it..

here is a track i just finished with a ton of crazy stutters

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =406452449

listen to the Fleet foxes remix about halfway through you can hear them

sorry for the crazy run on sentences

ryjan

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:40 pm

makehaste wrote:another cool thing for people with reaktor there is a free ensemble called
Rex in.Fx this is a simple effect that takes in audio and it has like 10 diffrent effects you can trigger. there is all your normal glitchy features, i only use the 4 stutter features theres 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32....varitions that you can trigger i then put this effect into a effect rack on chain.and assign those 4 stutter buttons to the macro controlls. then on another chain i build the equivelent of a wet/dry chain. ( Machinate posted a tutorial about how to build wet/dry chain in your racks for plugs that dont have one). then after that i assign a midi knob to the chain select range, then you assign your midi controll buttons to the macros that you assigned your stutters to........after all that now you throw your new stuttery effect rack to what ever track you want to stutter and now you go nuts. using your wet/dry knob to fade in and out of your stutters.. it sound freekin awesome. Im to the point now where i put a more advanced version of the same rack on a audio track and buss all my other tracks to it its awesome you just play all your stutters and go back later and edit the best ones .. i love it..

here is a track i just finished with a ton of crazy stutters

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =406452449

listen to the Fleet foxes remix about halfway through you can hear them

sorry for the crazy run on sentences

ryjan
Yea, Rex in fx is awsome.
One thing that I've been having a problem with though, is trying to take the looper module and "loop/live input toggle switch" out of the ens. Usually it's pretty easy to just delete a part of any ens that I don't want but for this one I end up with no sound.
My problem is that there's a button on my midi controller that's sending out some message that keeps switching it from Live input back to the built in sample looper.
Now rather than try and make any internal edits to my midi controller messages I'd rather just delete the looper and switch because I don't use it.
I can safely delete the looper module from the topmost view of the ens structure view but the switch is still there and if hit, will just cause silence because there's no looper there anymore.
Ive tried context-clicking the switch, choosing "show in structure" and then deleting the module and no dice. no sound.
Next thing would be to go in and edit the control number thats effecting the switch but I don't even know where that would be in reaktor's crazy heirarchical setup.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion