how tough are the macbooks?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:00 pm

Dell has complete care on their laptops, which covers spillages, droppages and whatever else for a reasonable amount, which is way better than what Apple offer in Applecare. Lenovo have builty in protection for droppages that makes sure the hard drive isn't wrecked as a result. Although specific 'tough book' type laptops are a) way too expensive and b) usually under specified.

You should turn off anti-virus when running Live. Turn off the wifi too. This is a drain on Macbooks as well (wifi).

The sound card in the Macbook is equally as dire as the ones in most PC laptops. If you are serious about your audio, you would buy a better audio interface, regardless of which platform you choose.

The thing about maintaining the fooker - widely variable. In most cases, once you've configured the PC how you want it, you don't need to go back and mess around unless there is a specific reason to, such as a reinstall or you misconfigured something or occasionally, an o/s update causing a bug or whatever. These kind of bugs also occur periodically in Mac OSX updates too, although usually a Mac requires less configuration at the start.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

AeonDubz

Post by AeonDubz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:38 pm

alot of pc laptops can be thrown/kicked around, spilled on, etc and can take a beating.. like some dells, toshibas and panasonics . I dropped my first mbp and the hd died, after applecare.. I spilled water on my keyboard of the next mbp and it destroyed the logicboard. I would suggest reinforcing with some kind of shock proof rubber if you get a mbp and also get one of those keyboard cover things. Unfortunately I can't say good things about durability with the macbooks, maybe I just had bad luck. I'm using osx86 on a dell until I find a better solution....

dru

Post by dru » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:21 am

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:41 am

i love the performances, portability and look of my black macbook, but i have to say that next time i'll buy a pro!

my g4 titanium had no problem in 7 years!! while my backbook had the following problems already:

battery died, changed under warranty, thanks god...
mouse pad died, had to change the whole keyboard 380 euros!!!!!
dvd drive died - to expansive to change it
the plastic sides of the screen are kind of roundish, when it gets really hot seems like the plastic it's easier breakable, i've seen tremendous pictures on the net about that.

but i still love it

Mazzo

Post by Mazzo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:45 pm

scary!

I got a vaio instead. similar price to the mac but more powerful and the build quality looks solid

thanks guys

Daim

Post by Daim » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:04 pm

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index. ... acBook_Pro

i had to bring mine back 4 times till i got an almost(!!) working one

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:55 pm

My new Vaio konked out 3 times last year, and the case cracked on the 2nd day after rather gently setting it down on the table, before I finally said fuck it and bought a MacBook.

I was looking for an excuse to get a new Mac, and Sony was kind enough to give me one.

I love my 3 PCs and I love my MacBook, but the notion that the MacBook is of a lessor build quality that anything else in it's class is total bullshit.