latency compensation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eturnol

latency compensation

Post by eturnol » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:26 am

hi

i tested lives latency and came up with an overall latency of 7 ms. now to compensate, do i type in +7 ms or -7 ms?

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:12 am

I've had questions about this as well.

Moonburnt

Post by Moonburnt » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:24 am

My understanding is that you would ADD the latency (ie. +7ms) to tell Live the overall latency, so say for example it was 30+7=37ms, Live would then apply the -37ms compensation for you.

eturnol

latency

Post by eturnol » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:43 pm

yeah thats what i was thinking, but the other way makes a lot of sense too. telling it to have -7 ms of compesation would mean that it subtacts 7 ms from the latency of 7 ms, thereby giving a latency of 0. i'm confused. both options make perfect sense to me. :?

Moonburnt

Re: latency

Post by Moonburnt » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:14 pm

eturnol wrote:yeah thats what i was thinking, but the other way makes a lot of sense too. telling it to have -7 ms of compesation would mean that it subtacts 7 ms from the latency of 7 ms, thereby giving a latency of 0. i'm confused. both options make perfect sense to me. :?
But making that box read "0" wouldn't be true if you do have latency, if you see what i mean. Compensation can't eliminate the latency, it can only *compensate* for it. Adjusting the Overall Latency at the bottom of p110 of the manual has some info on this.

eturnol

latency

Post by eturnol » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:24 pm

oh im not talking about adding the difference to get an overall latency on the audio page. in the midi page, there are latency compensation boxes for an input midi clock and an output midi clock. i was wondering what i would set those to +7 ms or -7 ms.

In the audio page i have 6 ms of latency, and, according to the latency test, 1 ms of extra latency which would give me a total of 7 ms. its the midi page where im having trouble, as im not sure if i should compensate for an input i have with postive or negative 7 ms.

thanks for ur help so far tho!

Moonburnt

Post by Moonburnt » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:32 am

hmm, haven't synced live to external clock so i can't really help sorry, but what i'd be inclined to do would be to just try it both ways and see which sounds best, and if you can't hear any timing difference between live and the audio of external device when set to either + or -7ms, then i guess the time difference is small enough not to matter.