What can I get from HW Synths that I can't get from my Softs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nbinder

Post by nbinder » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:14 am

Did anyone yet mention the sexy user interface? That is exactly tailored to the capabilities of the synths, not like a midi controller....

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:58 am

ya, how much would I love a made for purpose Operator control surface. :D

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:59 am

adventurepants_ wrote: Go and play with some knobby synths in a shop. If it gets your juices flowing, youll know if you have to have it or not.
THAT is a damn good idea!

mantaraffu

Post by mantaraffu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:24 am

1) working with hw is more fast and less boring.
2) working with hw doesn't destroy your eyes. especially when you come back home drunk in the night... you can eat a sandwich, turn on a synth, a seq and play drinking the last beer.
3) the most important: when you bring a girl (o more girls) at home. usualy female go crazy for hw synth. really! "oh, you're a musician". "oh, it's a moog, I've heard something about it". and then, "can I try this machine".

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:29 am

dedicated dsp and accompanying code is lovely.

but above all else hardware is about the interface.

my virus... is an instrument. you can play the damn thing, get lost in it. having dedicated labelled knobs for major sound-shaping functions is just an enormously wonderful thing, for me, creatively speaking.

in addition, hardware can be a great way to learn about synthesis. and external processing is rather sumptuous as well...
digitally yours

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:56 am

UKRuss wrote:hold on...

Now I'm being swung back t'other way and thinking I shouldnt bother with the HW as I'm probably expecting too much and its going to give me a load of arse ache with set up etc.

I'm kind of back to square one... :(
A good midi controller, or two is your most important tools these days, IMHO.

Its easy to loose physical and musical control of your soft synths in the sea of options!
If you limit your self to a very few soft synths, you can dedicate a controller for a spesific task. Some conrollers have digital labeling, so you can label the controllers without teip! Mackie C4 and Novation Remote series.

You can get a very long way with abletons synths.

Rather invest in that, then 10x more expensive HW synths I suggest..

When you get to be an "old bearded man", why not get a vintage analog modular system, and a veteran car to keep you occupied when the lady has left!! :)

NapalmBob

Post by NapalmBob » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:11 am

A synth (like anything used to create music, computers and DAW's included) is a very personal thing. Some prefer hardware for its tactile control, others prefer software for its versatility.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but I'm going to repeat it: buying random synths of eBay and then selling them on if I don't connect with them.

None of the music shops around here really stock anything interesing, so I depend on eBay for most of my musical needs. So far I've briefly owned a Roland JV-1010 module, Korg MS2000R, Novation K-Station and currently a Nord Rack 3. And I haven't really connected with any of them. Except my Electribe MX, I'm going to marry this little blue box :D

I think I'm going to give up on VA's and focus on trying to get some drum-machines and a few really simple analogs (like an SH-101 or Bass-Station) or cheap 80's gear.

So, you will just have to take the plunge and buy something to see if it suits you and your workflow. At least with hardware you can resell it for pretty much whatever you payed for it, and there's no license or piracy issues.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:13 am

You know, you're right.

I have been roadtesting too many Soft synths. This weekend I am going to sit down and map out the UC33e to operator, save it as a pre-set and bloody work the thing!

It's not laziness. It's a time thing. I find, if I'm not careful all I spend doing in the bloody studio is wiring and mapping and cabling and configuring, instead of:

Making music!

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:24 am

UKRuss wrote:What can I get from HW synths that I can’t get from my softs?
An overdraft?

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:41 pm

:lol: You're not wrong.

OK then, simple question:

My mates Novation Bassstation for £100:

Yes or No?

Arnold-Rimmer

Post by Arnold-Rimmer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:44 pm

I say no. Why bother when you have software that does it better and is cheaper. Really, hardware is nowhere near as flexible as software. The only reason people want hard is for the immediate hands on. Set up a controller and you will have the same handsonness.

I forgot to mention, that there is free software that can easily match a bass station for sound. Check out Rebirth for example (now free).

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:40 pm

http://www.dv247.com/invt/16713/product ... _a_7c16713

No wires 1/4 of the price.

I'm still thinking of getting rid of most of my kit, 'cause while I do love hardware it's a pain to set up, gives me headaches trying to sort out issues with midi sync and isn't really portable.

With my laptop, live suite, a decent controller or two and a couple of plugins I'm set to make a terrible noise anywhere.

Having said that I don't think I will let the evolver or 309 go, they are both a bit special even if I haven't got the best out of them yet and my er1 and ea1 are just great fun.
I don't know which is best, I love both and both frustrate and annoy me, what I can tell you is that GAS is addictive and dangerous!

My new mantra is....
NO MORE HARDWARE!
NO MORE HARDWARE!
NO MORE HARDWARE!
Keep repeating this to yourself at least 100 times a day

I'd really like a blofeld and an mpc1000 and a voyager and a virus and a emx1 and a nice big 8 bus desk and some nice pre's and compressors and fx units, and an ms20 and an arp2600 and.............

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:21 pm

Backache from lugging it around.
Core i7 2.3GHz|Win7x64|8GB|1.5TB & Core 2 Duo T7200, XP Pro SP3,
Nio 2|4, Edirol PCR800, NanoKontrol , Komplete Synths + Reaktor 5, Cameleon, Alchemy, FabFilter 2 suite
http://www.myspace.com/richardlyallmusic http://craftycurate.blogs.com

Mazzo

Post by Mazzo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:30 pm

As midi controllers get better (eg mini hi-res colour LED displays for each knob), hardware synths appeal will diminish further.

Mazzo

Post by Mazzo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:32 pm

craftycurate wrote:Backache from lugging it around.
too true!

I can get all my gear into a rucksack. long gone are the days of having to take someone with me to lug around flight cases full of gear!