Kore 2 software edition update?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Kore 2 software edition update?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:09 am

Hey, I don't know if any N.I. users noticed this, but they've updated the Kore 2 software to be able to be controlled by regular midi controllers. And they're also selling a software only version. After watching some of the tutorial videos, there are actually some potentially very useful things for a live performace within ableton. Has anyone upgraded and can anyone comment on how it has affected your workflow etc.? I'm also curious about how it would automap with novation's SL range. Seems much like ableton's racks but with more macro pages, performance setups, parameter morphing, arpeggiator etc. Seems maybe useful.

Comments welcome...

cheers
Professional Shark Jumper.

Machinesworking

Re: Kore 2 software edition update?

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:23 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Hey, I don't know if any N.I. users noticed this, but they've updated the Kore 2 software to be able to be controlled by regular midi controllers. And they're also selling a software only version. After watching some of the tutorial videos, there are actually some potentially very useful things for a live performace within ableton. Has anyone upgraded and can anyone comment on how it has affected your workflow etc.? I'm also curious about how it would automap with novation's SL range. Seems much like ableton's racks but with more macro pages, performance setups, parameter morphing, arpeggiator etc. Seems maybe useful.

Comments welcome...

cheers
Updated it, works great. Haven't messed around with the MIDI, but really the controller is the main bonus of Kore beyond some cool mapping features. The bug fix I needed is there.
Kore's main stickler is that it takes a while to load the very first time you open a Live set, beyond that it's pretty dammed cool. There are 'Performance Presets' that do a lot of things that I wish live would cover, such as allow full sets of on/off positions and settings in the tracks to be instantly recalled via program changes. You can sort of do this in Live, but it's not super easy like in Kore. I have Automap and an SL, I thought that would trump Kore, but it's easily the other way around. The only advantages of the SL are the control surface for tracks, and the ability to map buttons on the SL to anything in Live. For VST/AU manipulation Kore wins by a long shot.
If they could cut load times in Live, then it would be a 9/10, it's a good 8 1/2 IMO.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:13 pm

Thanks MW,

I just tried the demo, and I liked it more than I remember - mainly because it seems to take less cpu than I remember and because of that performance setup feature you mentioned.

When you say it takes a while to load the 'very first time' you load a set, do you mean every time you open the set? Or when you first open kore in a new set?

I'm also wondering how the Kore works with the SL, since I wouldn't want another hardware controller really, even though I know the kore controller is meant for it and all. When you're in ableton automap, do the parameters from kore show up in a useful way on the SL? (Ie. the top left encoders). I ask because the demo is still 2.01, and it's a bit of a mess on the SL in ableton automap.

thanks!

Strauzzie

Post by Strauzzie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:58 pm

FYI -

Any fans of Kore should check out the Kore noisepages:

http://kore.noisepages.com/

Some incredibly deep & detailed tips out there.

Also, I'm selling an un-opened copy of the software here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0265207181

I had to buy a new version to replace my controller. Now that it supports any MIDI controller, if you're looking to buy Kore 2, here's your chance.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:16 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
When you say it takes a while to load the 'very first time' you load a set, do you mean every time you open the set? Or when you first open kore in a new set?
Both, actually. You can cut down the load time by unchecking the enable plugin scan at startup box on the last page of Kore's options menu; however, the scan at startup takes much less time than using the rescan plugins prompt in the options.
I'm also wondering how the Kore works with the SL, since I wouldn't want another hardware controller really, even though I know the kore controller is meant for it and all. When you're in ableton automap, do the parameters from kore show up in a useful way on the SL? (Ie. the top left encoders). I ask because the demo is still 2.01, and it's a bit of a mess on the SL in ableton automap.
Good question- and one that I really can't answer. I do know that the automapped .dlls used to cause issues, but I'm not sure if this is still the case or not.

Your Kore forum moderator,
ew

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:36 pm

Strauzzie wrote:FYI -

Any fans of Kore should check out the Kore noisepages:

http://kore.noisepages.com/

Some incredibly deep & detailed tips out there.

Also, I'm selling an un-opened copy of the software here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0265207181

I had to buy a new version to replace my controller. Now that it supports any MIDI controller, if you're looking to buy Kore 2, here's your chance.
are you sure you can sell the software separately? Not that I don't believe it, but have you checked with N.I.?

glitchrock-buddha wrote:

Both, actually. You can cut down the load time by unchecking the enable plugin scan at startup box on the last page of Kore's options menu; however, the scan at startup takes much less time than using the rescan plugins prompt in the options.
Quote:

Good question- and one that I really can't answer. I do know that the automapped .dlls used to cause issues, but I'm not sure if this is still the case or not.

Your Kore forum moderator,
ew
Yeah, I imagine it could get a bit crazy when using novation's automapped wrapped plug-ins along with kore, since theoretically you could have novation wrapped plug-ins inside kore, have parameters from those assigned to the Kore knobs and then have the Kore software plug-in itself wrapped in a nocation wrapper for automap. That thought makes me dizzy.

I guess realistically I'd want to use kore just with the ableton automap template which doesn't use the wrapper, but only allows control with the 8 endless rotaries. So you'd think 8 rotaries would be perfect for kore, but that really depends how they have the parameters ordered in the Kore software.

MW, want to give it a look?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:08 pm

here's another question: How does Kore 2 handle Midi FX? Is it possible to assign a keyrange in kore to a MFX in the same ksd as an instrument plug-in? For example, could I load up FM8 and then something like vokator or Artillery within the same kore patch and assign the MFX to a different part of the keyboard than FM8, thus being able to send midi to both on the same track? That would be very cool.?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:52 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:here's another question: How does Kore 2 handle Midi FX? Is it possible to assign a keyrange in kore to a MFX in the same ksd as an instrument plug-in? For example, could I load up FM8 and then something like vokator or Artillery within the same kore patch and assign the MFX to a different part of the keyboard than FM8, thus being able to send midi to both on the same track? That would be very cool.?
This one should work just fine. AFA Automap and Kore 2 etc. if you can wait until the weekend I might have an answer.
My laptop with Kore 2 and Automap on it is in the shop right now. :(
First time I've had a serious problem with a brand new laptop, but at least it's under warrantee.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:09 am

Machinesworking wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:here's another question: How does Kore 2 handle Midi FX? Is it possible to assign a keyrange in kore to a MFX in the same ksd as an instrument plug-in? For example, could I load up FM8 and then something like vokator or Artillery within the same kore patch and assign the MFX to a different part of the keyboard than FM8, thus being able to send midi to both on the same track? That would be very cool.?
This one should work just fine. AFA Automap and Kore 2 etc. if you can wait until the weekend I might have an answer.
My laptop with Kore 2 and Automap on it is in the shop right now. :(
First time I've had a serious problem with a brand new laptop, but at least it's under warrantee.
Cool, thanks.

That's potentially amazing if you can control midifx from the same track as an instrument plug-in. That would mean you could have a sliced drum loop and on the same track trigger midi effects like effectrix or artillery from the keyboard. And also have all the control in one device on one track. interesting....