Live 8 - any signs ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:29 pm

aisling wrote::D speaking of live 8 can anybody tell me how long it takes to defrost a 18lb (9kg) turkey?
Speaking of Live 8...if you don't put the turkey on a "frozen track" into Live...it will take'til right before the new Melodyne pluging (DNA) comes out... :D

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:58 pm

Atomikat wrote:
Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:GeldoRf???
Ha ha, thanks Lo-Fi :wink: it was corrected already...
No worries, mate. You just set my besserwisser mechanism in motion. Thanks. :D

.m

djgroovy

Re: Live 8 - any signs ?

Post by djgroovy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:55 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
emma wrote:Could it be that we don't see a new Live version this year ? :(
Sure hope so.

.m
Big +1.

Better come out when it's really ready, and kicking some ass.

And i hope it comes with a bike, so we can do some cycling instead of just sitting all day. [/lame joke]

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:37 pm

Atomikat wrote:
aisling wrote::D speaking of live 8 can anybody tell me how long it takes to defrost a 18lb (9kg) turkey?
Speaking of Live 8...if you don't put the turkey on a "frozen track" into Live...it will take'til right before the new Melodyne pluging (DNA) comes out... :D

:( I was afraid that would be the case. Maybe i'll use a smaller turkey or one of those gluten meatless turkey's. Although the meatless ones realy clog you up :?
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

headquest

Post by headquest » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:10 am

From previoius comments, some of the most popular outstanding feature requests (stuff like overlappiong clips with crossfades, folder tracks, dual monitor support, etc) require quite a lot of code rewritten. So I think Ableton have a particularly big task on their hands this time.

That said, my money would be on a January NAMM 2009 announcement :wink:

As for the Cycling partnership, I think that the various bundles offered with Live 7 / AAS synths suggest that Ableton like to make a splash by unveiling a lot of stuff in one go.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

dominicw78

Post by dominicw78 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:25 am

Surely they'll have to enhance the midi section, it's so lacking. I wouldn't think it would be hard to do, they need something like Reason's Regroove.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:48 am

They started the beta cycle for Live 7 around late September 2007 and extended it in October. The product itself (after 21 beta versions) came out late November. I was involved in beta testing from L7b1.

Then the manual printer broke and they actually took more orders than they were expecting (so much for everyone staying on Live 6, Live 7 was a huge success with a massive ratio of people upgrading from previous versions and it addressed a lot of feature requests, especially sidechaining and slicing). Which led to a huge Christmas mess for some people.

So it's still possible there could be a Live 8 this year. Although I personally would prefer to have a more managed roll out sometime in the second quarter of next year.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:02 am

I just want 7 tightened up. been recording today, and even when I dumb it down to 48kHz sample rate Live is sluggish, no crashes at least, but of all the software I use Live is definitely the most fragile and sluggish. most any other program I can minimize, multi-task and use pretty smoothly, Live is like unstable dynamite, handle with care. even compared to past releases, it's a pain.

dual core 2GHz 2Gb RAM 5400 drives XP Pro
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:48 am

Tone Deft wrote:I just want 7 tightened up. been recording today, and even when I dumb it down to 48kHz sample rate Live is sluggish, no crashes at least, but of all the software I use Live is definitely the most fragile and sluggish. most any other program I can minimize, multi-task and use pretty smoothly, Live is like unstable dynamite, handle with care. even compared to past releases, it's a pain.

dual core 2GHz 2Gb RAM 5400 drives XP Pro
What's lives stability like compared to Logic (or other DAWs you use)?

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:09 pm

This question always varies considerably from user to user. BUt rest assured, Logic has it's share of bugs and disgruntled customers too. I am still on Cubase SX 3.1.1 because Cubase 4 had horrendous bugs. It is supposed to be better now in 4.1.3. but there is still a list of known issues to be fixed. Actually, SB publish that list for all to see, so kudos to them for that, they don't deny. Although they won't offer support on the bugs unless you do a clean reinstall of your o/s.

Any software will have it's bugs. I have not had too many problems with Live 7, a couple of the betas had some issues that bothered my workflow a lot, and 7.0.1. However, since 7.0.3 I have found it very stable.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

blue-rinse

Post by blue-rinse » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:10 pm

What a stupid thread. The last thing we need is a new upgrade

neve

Post by neve » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:30 pm

I wouldn't like to spend another hundred bucks and wait 6 months for a stable release.
I was using Live5 daily, and with the long loading time and the browser bugs i experienced using Live7, it kept me away from using it as often as i would have.
I still can go a lot deeper with Live5 to Live7 new features (since i didn't use Live6 and Live7.01 was too buggy until last update), so ther eis no rush for me to spend so many $$$ for a slower daw.

Noel

Post by Noel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:40 pm

blue-rinse wrote:What a stupid thread. The last thing we need is a new upgrade
Not really.

If they are not going to release it soon then, by announcing that fact, they could probably get a lot of sales from people like me who are holding off buying Live 7 because they don't want to lose out on a free upgrade to Live 8 - which will no doubt be announced in a few weeks time.
Noel has left the building!

forge

Post by forge » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:36 am

I'd be surprised if they aren't tied to some kind of Xmas retail time structure, it's too big a time of year in retail to miss and they've made it in every other release to date....

a lot of staff to pay

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:45 am

blue-rinse wrote:What a stupid thread. The last thing we need is a new upgrade
Yeah. For example, the midi implementation in ableton is already perfect. What we need is to downgrade everything else. Just make sure no plugin has more than 128 parameters, and so on.