Live will not open after using Migration Assistant

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nowtime

Live will not open after using Migration Assistant

Post by nowtime » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:25 am

EDIT: PLEASE SEE END OF THREAD

It's an early Christmas, and I am the proud owner (finally) of a modern mac, a refurbished 2.2GHz 120Gb Macbook Pro.

What is the best way to transfer? Is it to use Migration Assistant for everything but the apps, and then do the applications manually?

I just read that this is a good way to go, but once I reinstall the applications which I have purchased, how do I make sure I cover all the native applications, and one's I've downloaded, and what about all those application support folders, and other sub-folders. Seems I could mess things up.

Any other preparations I should do before migrating?
Last edited by nowtime on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ VAKIS

Post by DJ VAKIS » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:12 am

I think,when you turn on for the first time the macbook pro and setup your account,then the computer will ask you if want to transfer any other data from another computer,if yes then you will need to connect the 2 computers via firewire cable and doit.
Sorry if my english is bad.
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:11 am

oops... wrong post :oops:
*** Image GAFM ***

jeffplaysmoog

Post by jeffplaysmoog » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:20 pm

I have never had a good experience with migration assistant... I would just put the old machine in target mode (hold T when starting up) and move your stuff over the way you want too... also, do a clean reinstall on all the programs...

majais

Post by majais » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:34 pm

I hope for you that you didn't do the migration-assistant-thing. To be on the save side, I would propose the same as "jeffplaysmoog"
I've done the same mistake twice and always ended up having trouble.
Good luck!
Computer & Live 8 Suite

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:41 pm

Thanks forn the suggestions.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:17 pm

all your applications will be different architecture(intel vs ppc), so you must install of of your applications fresh. the ppc binaries will not work properly on intel, especially for audio.

be sure to keep your folder hierarchy, partition, harddrive naming scheme the same, and when your transfer your data live will find everything.

you'll love the performance jump :)

i made the switch in early summer, it's kind nice to start with a somewhat clean slate anyway.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:55 am

I had no problems whatsoever using Migration Assistant 2 years ago to go from powerbook to MBP.

I had to manually re-authorize a few plugins, is all. All my apps work beautifully, and seeing my "world" [email, accounts, disks etc] appear exactly the same on new hardware was uncanny. I suspect most of my apps were already Universal Binary on the powerbook, though - I honestly couldn't tell you, there might be some still chugging away quietly under Rosetta....

From my experience, I'd reccommend Migration Assistant.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:23 pm

Pitch Black wrote:I had no problems whatsoever using Migration Assistant 2 years ago to go from powerbook to MBP.

I had to manually re-authorize a few plugins, is all. All my apps work beautifully, and seeing my "world" [email, accounts, disks etc] appear exactly the same on new hardware was uncanny. I suspect most of my apps were already Universal Binary on the powerbook, though - I honestly couldn't tell you, there might be some still chugging away quietly under Rosetta....

From my experience, I'd reccommend Migration Assistant.
Same here. I've used Migration Assistant twice with new machines and, except for having to reauthorize a few plugs/apps, it was pretty seamless! YMMV, of course.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:28 am

So far so good on the MA.

Only thing is Live will not open. OSX is updated, tried Live 7.0.10 and my old 7.05. Both just say "Live quit unexpectedly".

I'm just clicking on the app, not trying to open a set with any non-UB VST's.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:19 am

Temporarily move your Audio Units components somewhere other than (User)>Library>Audio>Plugins>Components, and see if Live will boot. That might help narrow it down to a squirrelly AU. Try the same, temporarily moving your VSTs too.

It could be a compatibility issue at the bootup level, whether the plugin is contained in a set or not.

HTH

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:50 pm

I moved my Components and VST's and still no love. The same thing happens. I really don't have a clue here.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:29 pm

I've used the migration assistant on 8 ppc Mac's to 8 Intel Mac's. Every one was flawless, and as PB said, the only thing that needed to be done was reauthorize some plugs and make sure I had the updates to programs with UB architecture.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:36 pm

Have you tried re-installing a fresh download of Live?

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:44 pm

Pitch Black wrote:Have you tried re-installing a fresh download of Live?
good one!

I was excited at first, but noticed I had somehow downloaded 7LE. At least it didnt't crash. Tried again with the full version and she still crashes. It's go to be something with the serial number or maybe ALP's ? But Live doesn't even see the Library until I assaign it, I recall.