Audio Interface, ASIO & Latency

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cenglish222

Audio Interface, ASIO & Latency

Post by cenglish222 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:47 pm

I've been working on shortening my latency in Live for quite some time. I'm using an Mbox2 with the ASIO Digidesign driver and before I get too involved I'll provide my setup:

2.01ghz AMD Athlon 64 Proc
3GB RAM
WinXP
Live7 (most recent version)
Mbox2 interface (with PT 7.4)

With that said -- my latency reads 1024 Samples / 56.0ms Output latency

OK - I've been stuck at this latency for awhile. Even after I upped my RAM by 2GB, I still was stuck with this unmovable latency. Yes I know I can use the mix knob, but even at it's best the latency is horific. Also, I'm using GR2 and I sort of need SOME mix in order to hear my guitar fx.

When I've gone to adjust the buffer rate in Live, even to 128, my latency DOES NOT change. On the Audio tab it still remains at 1024 samples and the box cannot be edited. However, when I jump over to ProTools and adjust to 128 samples and my latency instantly goes to 5ms.

Based on this test, I think it's an issue with the ASIO Digidesign Driver freezing my latency settings - are there any pros out there that agree with this? Does anyone have a fix for this? Has anyone had a similar driver issue with other interfaces? I know I can just track in PT, but in the long-run I'd prefer to have some tracking capabilities in Live since I kinda spent a lot of money to get it (can I get an Amen?)...

As always...the advise is much appreciated.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:08 am

my latency reads 1024 Samples / 56.0ms Output latency
You might want to try the ASIO4ALL driver http://www.asio4all.com/
to see if you can improve that. In general, if you can adjust your buffer size lower, you will get lower latency[edit]...

In any event, it depends on how low you can set this before you get dropouts/nastyglitch.

Sometimes it's better to adjust stuff using the config tool that it came with, then start Live. Open Live, set Audio prefs to "none". Then adjust your Mbox settings with the config tool that comes with it. Then restart Live, and select the Mbox as audio device.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

hitechsoul15

Post by hitechsoul15 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:42 am

cenglish, did u ever solve this problem? I have the same exact setup with the same problem, I need help with this any one.