How Do I Conserve Disk Drive Space when Recording Into Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

How Do I Conserve Disk Drive Space when Recording Into Live

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:08 am

If Live uses non-destructive editing, then how can I conserve space when making loops?
I only have a 20gig hard drive and I want to play my guitar into Live for 5 bars, then trim it down to a 4bar loop. But I don't want to keep the
un-used portion that I trimmed away.
How do I solve this problem?

tjwett

Re: How Do I Conserve Disk Drive Space when Recording Into

Post by tjwett » Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:52 pm

Guest wrote:If Live uses non-destructive editing, then how can I conserve space when making loops?
I only have a 20gig hard drive and I want to play my guitar into Live for 5 bars, then trim it down to a 4bar loop. But I don't want to keep the
un-used portion that I trimmed away.
How do I solve this problem?
You'll need an editing program other than Live. Anyone will do. Point Live to it in Preferences(this is all covered in the manual by the way). Double click your clip in the Session so you can see the waveform at the bottom. press the edit button. Live will launch your editing software. edit to your liking. save it. that's it.

thank you

Post by guest » Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:28 pm

thank you , I don't know what I was thinking.

twelve

Post by twelve » Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:55 pm

Does anyone know of a freeware (or cheap) editor that I could use for this purpose that is Live and Mac compatible?

Stiffy

Shareware

Post by Stiffy » Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:52 pm

There is a great, simple, shareware editor for Mac called Jasmine. There is a 60 trial available for download (www.kumulipo.com) and the full version costs $39.95 US. For PC, I don't know- I use BIAS Peak which is also Mac only... try doing a search in the Downloads area on cnet.com maybe.

lasers and their beams

Post by lasers and their beams » Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:56 pm

hey, I just downloaded TC Works Spark ME, freeware, native OSX only. I haven't tried it with live, but I'm hoping it will work. I'd also like to know what others are using in OSX.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:37 pm

i actually use QuickTime which isn't the best, no waveform display. Sound Studio 2 is a good simple wave editor for OSX and can be gotten from http://www.download.com it's free to try and $50 to buy. you can save with the demo so the free one should be fine.

systek

Post by systek » Sat Aug 03, 2002 8:02 am

I currently use Sound Forge 6 and upgraded from an older version of Wavelab. But my question is how are you guys able to trim the sample to the "loop", my sample editing program does not display the loop or left/right markers? does yours? This would be so helpful to me if I could find a way to have sound forge display the bars like Live does. Or if it was possible to display the loop so I can just perform a trim. Any ideas? Are the macOS programs allowing you guys to do this?

systek