Forum Challenge: Record a song in less than 10 minutes!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Crash

Forum Challenge: Record a song in less than 10 minutes!

Post by Crash » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:18 pm

Hello everyone,

In order to find out what gear is up to the task of real improvisation and quick session-recording I challenge the forum members to record a song in less than 10 minutes!

It doesn't have to be a brilliant song, it can be rather simple. But: You must only one piece of hardware or software!

If you are using software you can use any kind of complex integrated DAW with all internal instruments/effects provided by it, but no externals unless they are part of the package.

This means for example: If you are using Ableton Live you may use the full Live Suite, Operator, Sampler and EIC. And if you are using Sonar you may use the "external" instruments provided with it. But in both cases you may not use any additional third-party plugins like NI Komplete or the like.

Post a link to the song in this thread and if you like you may also list which instruments/effects you used and how much time it took to record the song.

Crash

Post by Crash » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Here is my own entry:

Gear: Alesis Micron (program and pattern presets put together into one setup) + 2 hands
Time: Finished in less than 10 minutes, recording time = playback time
Processing: None!

Micron_Second_Try.mp3 - 6.36MB

benmiron

Post by benmiron » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:23 pm

what about people who use live and all external vsts... IE dont want to waste money on operator...

Crash

Post by Crash » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:30 pm

Use your brain, stupid! :wink:

If you don't own no Operator or Suite then you use only Live's basic instruments and efx. That's what this challenge is about, finding out how much you can do with what you get out of the box!

Noel

Post by Noel » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:59 pm

Crash wrote: recording time = playback time
So you're not including the time it takes to open the program or do the final rendering? Or the time spent thinking about it first?
Noel has left the building!

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:11 pm

Noel wrote:
Crash wrote: recording time = playback time
So you're not including the time it takes to open the program or do the final rendering? Or the time spent thinking about it first?
10 minutes? How about 10 months!

[All funkin bitter and twisted, contemplating turning to the dark side..... b0unce, do you need an apprentice?]

Darth GJM :twisted:
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Crash

Post by Crash » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:39 pm

Noel wrote:So you're not including the time it takes to open the program or do the final rendering? Or the time spent thinking about it first?
Think about it, start your gear, plug it in or whatever and start counting. If your gear supports improvisation and quick results you may come up with some basic song in less than 10 minutes.

So I don't mind if you leave preparation out as far as setting up your gear goes. But as soon as you start putting sounds together the clock is ticking. As soon as you have the finally rendered file the clock stops ticking (so conversion to MP3 and anything after that doesn't count into the 10 minutes).

My song is 4:45 long and the recording was finished in less than 10 minutes. For my entry that 10 minutes included:

- starting the Micron and Live
- selecting a preset setup on the Micron and do some minor customisation
- connecting the Micron cables to my Fireface and pressing Record in Live
- trying around with the setup for basic ideas and come up with some improvisation

- pressing REC
- playing the song with hands only
- pressing STOP
- doing (no) post-processing

Obviously I had an idea about the presets already as I know the Micron good enough, but I'm no wizard with it. It just comes ready to start playing/improvising out of the box, it's a real live-instrument! Is your gear (Live, MPC, Turntables, whatever) as well?
Last edited by Crash on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noel

Post by Noel » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:52 pm

Incidentally I could not listen to your piece. keep getting error message "Media foundation protected pipeline.exe as stopped working."
Noel has left the building!

Crash

Post by Crash » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:46 pm

Here's a direct download link. Now go you pussies and prove that Live is an instrument or at least something that can jam! :twisted:

http://www.zshare.net/download/19061777c9f904b6/

Crash

Post by Crash » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:04 pm

gjm wrote:[All funkin bitter and twisted, contemplating turning to the dark side..... b0unce, do you need an apprentice?]

I sense much fear in you, young padawan. In the force you must trust and suceeding you will.

"Almost there"... :twisted:
Last edited by Crash on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:31 pm

I'll go for this... as soon as I get home.

- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:42 am

So... Can I use a midi controller if I chose Live as my instrument? Can I use Live to record if I choose my Nord Modular as my instrument? Can I use a Live set that was prepared before, or do I have to start with Live's original blank live set? When do I start counting the 10 minutes - when I start thinking about the song or as soon as I actually sit down to perform?

Patiently awaiting your answers.

.m

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:58 am

gjm wrote:[All funkin bitter and twisted, contemplating turning to the dark side..... b0unce, do you need an apprentice?]

Right!!! I'm coming up to Whangaparoa to stage an intervention. Homebelly, you with me? One of our Brothers is in trouble!! SCRAMBLE.

Crash

Post by Crash » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:30 am

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:So... Can I use a midi controller if I chose Live as my instrument? Can I use Live to record if I choose my Nord Modular as my instrument? Can I use a Live set that was prepared before, or do I have to start with Live's original blank live set? When do I start counting the 10 minutes - when I start thinking about the song or as soon as I actually sit down to perform?

Patiently awaiting your answers.

.m
Don't make it too complicated, just record something (and read my posts, lazy bastard)! This is meant as a fun challenge, so we don't have to put down every single rule. It's about getting something done, so just do it! ;)

Yes, you can use Live or whatever for recording your Nord. I used it for recording my Micron. But you may not use Live for post-processing efx then, only for recording and arrangement/mixing. I did no post-processing whatsoever on my example, that's the best you can get! :mrgreen: (there's one playing error at the end of the song :oops:)

You can start with a prepared Live template/Set if that's your usual starting point, but it has to be blank of music, like it's only a preset for your gear. I guess using a Midi controller kinda breaks the only-one-piece-of-gear rule. Use keyboard and mouse and live with it, pussies! :twisted:

You start counting as soon as you actually sit down to improvise, try out sound, perform. Think of it as being at a rehearsal, you've got time to setup your gear and think about some idea, but then the band expects you to jam along with them. They don't wanna wait for your electronic ass to do a studio production just for laying some simple ideas down. 8)

So where are your songs coming, wannabe musicians? Get going! Later we can start another challenge that allows your full set of gear to be used, but here we wanna know which outofthebox gear and forum members can deliver!

Crash

Post by Crash » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:55 am

Pitch Black wrote:

Right!!! I'm coming up to Whangaparoa to stage an intervention. Homebelly, you with me? One of our Brothers is in trouble!! SCRAMBLE.
Remember, no external efx, so no fucking using the Force here! You gotta use your wetware Jedi ass outtadabox. :wink: