How much noise it too much?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sibanger

How much noise it too much?

Post by Sibanger » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:02 pm

I work in a noisy environment at an insulation distribution truck depot, and drive a large forklift most of the day.

I have noticed that there is a constant high level of background noise and some disturbingly high peak levels that I am exposed to.

I took a sound measuring device to work and these were the results-

Taken from a seated position in the forklift-

Forklift idling- 76 DB

Forklift at high revs- 89 DB

Reversing warning beeper- 96 DB
(We drive in reverse at least 40% of the time)

(Reversing warning beeper was recorded at 114 DB close to the actual beeping device.)8O

This one is the killer-

Driving with an empty stillage across the yard- 106 DB

A stillage ia a large metal holding frame with an aluminium sheet floor.
It crashes like hell as you drive around the uneven concrete yard.
Sort of sounds like a giant out of tune cymbal being hit with a sledgehammer.

I am the only one using hearing protection at this site, but some of the guys, after being told of my sound level test, are showing some interest.
I am doing some investigation into the effects on hearing loss, as I have a vested interest in looking after my own hearing as much as I can.

Any opinions or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:05 pm

titbag may be able to help you with this.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:06 pm

I think you will probby find that Aussie health and safety law demands that employees exposed to noise levels above a certain threshold are provided with ear protection and regular breaks (not in the drum sense :-))by their employer.

If not, you really could take them to the cleaners for damaging your hearing.

bgc

Post by bgc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:26 pm

Sounds like that is probably within the "need to wear protection" range, mostly based on the peaks, but the exposure lengths could be an issue as well. A rule of thumb: If you have to shout to be heard by someone who is three feet or less away you it is too loud.

I have some damage from listening to loud music. I now wear earplugs judiciously(at shows, on the bus, whenever I feel uncomfortable about noise levels). Better to be safe, I suppose. Plus, loud and continuous noise is just plain stressful on a perosn in so many ways.

Here is a good link to an OSHA-like document with some exposure levels and durations.

http://www.quietsolution.com/Noise_Levels.pdf

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:32 pm

Sibanger wrote:
Any opinions or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.
google led me to this:

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/WorkSafe/Con ... at_wo.html

According to #13 on that page, the reverse beeper is probably a major offender, but according to what you said, that is probably the only frequent offender, meaning that the highest decibel level achieved isn't that loud long enough to be against the law, if I'm reading correct. This is also for Western Australia, and I have no idea how current/accurate this info is.

*edit: after readin your post again, I'm probably wrong about the "highest decibel level achieved isn't that loud long enough to be against the law" part - I would still read that article, and definitely wear heavy ear protection.
Last edited by last man on earth on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:34 pm

Do whatever you can to preserve & protect your hearing. Tinnitus is a bitch.

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:49 pm

85 decibel's for over one hour, generates ear fatigue.

yes. you need to wear ear protection. its severely important if you're dealing with spikes above 85. its the transients that will damage your hearing.

please take care of your ears!

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:24 pm

Thanks guys!

It's a bit scary, I know.

An older guy that's been working there for over 6 years has been told by his doctor, that he has lost quite a lot of hearing in his left ear.

Just want as much information, so I can inform the guys, and we can take precautions in the future.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:56 am

Sibanger wrote:Thanks guys!

It's a bit scary, I know.

An older guy that's been working there for over 6 years has been told by his doctor, that he has lost quite a lot of hearing in his left ear.

Just want as much information, so I can inform the guys, and we can take precautions in the future.
just get yourself some proper plugs - you can easily put them in discreetly, but at those levels you should

best idea would be to get some proper HiFi ones, probably about $50 (well I bought some in the mid 90s for $40 so I don;'t know what they are now) but they allow you to still hear people talk a bit better

nolus

Re: How much noise it too much?

Post by nolus » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:05 pm

Sibanger wrote:
Sort of sounds like a giant out of tune cymbal being hit with a sledgehammer.
any chance you could get a sample of that? :)

Seriously though, look after those ears. I only wish I had.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:30 pm

nolus wrote:Seriously though, look after those ears. I only wish I had.
+1 Silence can be deafening :cry:
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:10 am

gjm wrote:
What?

gjm

Post by gjm » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:43 am

Sibanger wrote:
gjm wrote:
What?
Ummm. Just was thinking back to a couple of power cuts we had during the winter, and not a single electrical item was working in the house. Its like there is two layers of sound, yes its quite, everything is off and you really notice it. But there is also this funny noise that is like residual. Depending on where you focus your attention, the residual layer, whatever it is, is actually very loud. I don't know if this is tinnitus, but I worked in marine construction and domestic construction for nearly a decade, and I am sure I have damaged my ears. Just agreeing really, look after your ear drums banger!
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller