The creepiest movie ever?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:47 pm

lola wrote:I always thought that evil dead was a comedy...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R9o9Pp1Ej ... re=related

And is it right that the game serious SAM was based on the main character in evil dead?
Or am i wrong here?
Basically, 'Evil Dead II' -which is the clip you reference, is a comedic remake of 'Evil Dead' by the same director (Sam Rami), & is very funny. Sam is a big Three Stooges fan, & it shows!

:P

The original 'Evil Dead' is a somewhat more serious affair, though not without humour.
Last edited by oblique strategies on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:48 pm

The Shining.

The first time I watched it I had just ingested around 3.5 grams of mushrooms about an hour prior.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:50 pm

smutek wrote:The Shining.

The first time I watched it I had just ingested around 3.5 grams of mushrooms about an hour prior.
Ooooooooooo! :!:

That movie is hallucinatory enough all by itself.

Definitely one of the creepiest movies ever made, & SCARY! Most of Kubrick's work is creepy in one way or another.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:22 pm

Yeah man, it was a really really intense watch. I remember just being riveted to the screen. One of the most intense parts was when the kid was riding the big wheel down the hall ways, and that bathtub scene.

After the movie I had to go outside and just kind of lie on the ground and stare at the stars to get my head back in order, thinking to myself.... jesus..... wtf..... wow.....
pulsoc wrote:Weird, I thought Event Horizon was pretty typical schlock. Truly creepy goes to

Meet the Feebles
Very Bad Things
Blue Velvet
Requiem for a dream

I find "horror" is rarely creepy.
j2j wrote:very bad things, more like a dark comedy, yes no? Its got some murder and death, but its not all that bloody/scary...

Who Framed Roger Rabit? Has more violence... IMHO.
I think it really depends on your tastes and frame of reference. Personally I'm not one for slasher, blood bath type horror flicks.

pulsoc's list is pretty much the same as what mine would be, Requiem for a dream was my first pick and I couldn't think of the name of Very Bad Things, which was my second. I was surprised to see that someone else had pucked these films as well.

I'm not able to properly articulate the reasons why at the moment, but both of those films left me feeling very disturbed after watching them.

Requiem in particular was intense to see on a big screen, it was very well done and the overall experience, emotionally speaking, wasn't too far off from the one I had when I watched the shining for the first time, on mushrooms. And I was sober when I saw Requiem.

I had an art history teacher that summed it up very well I think, she said that you can tell when you've seen a good film, because as you are exiting the theater, or turning the lights back up in your television room, whatever it may be, you have this feeling of "re-entry", of reemerging into the real world.

A well done film will evoke different emotions from all of us, for different reasons. I watch a zombie film and I'm like yeah, it's scary, but what are the odds. Or a gruesome slasher with high end special effects and I end up being distracted by the effects, "ok, this films main purpose is to display some extraordinary effects, plot is secondary", meh - but that's just me.

When I watch something that really deals with the human condition, in a positive or negative, then I can be moved, enlightened, disturbed.

Requiem, especially, was that type of film for me and was definitely my first pick. Very well done, dark, disturbing, moving, sad, intense.

Very Bad Things as well, but not quite on the same level, it's the macabre justice that is served in the final scene that did it for me with that film.

lola

Post by lola » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:32 pm

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:40 pm

The Room - easily the worst movie ever made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCj8sPCWfUw

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:17 pm

Nosferatu - 1922 - F.W. Murnau

Eraserhead - 1977 - David Lynch

The Grandmother - 1970 - David Lynch

Even Dwarfs Started Small - 1970 - Werner Herzog

Vampyr - 1930 - Carl Theodor Dreyer

The Seventh Victim - 1944 - Val Lewton (producer)

Millennium - TV Series - 1996-1999, (Seasons 1 & 2), Chris Carter (creator)

ghast

Post by ghast » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:03 am

nebulae wrote:The Room - easily the worst movie ever made:

ugh, thanks alot. :x

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:04 am

ghast wrote:
nebulae wrote:The Room - easily the worst movie ever made:

ugh, thanks alot. :x
aah, so then you haven't heard of the phenomenon that is "The Room"?

http://videogum.com/archives/really-bad ... 41561.html

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:30 am

Stay - directed by Marc Forster

Creepy, yes, but so very much more. The most fascinating film I have seen in a very long time.

Plastic Hassle

Post by Plastic Hassle » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:01 am

@lola. I just watched the Beyond last night, great stuff!
Apple iMac (OSX 10.5.2). Ableton Live 5.2.2 with Operator.