Anyone running the 500 GB Samsung Spin Point M in MBP?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
liveISlife

Anyone running the 500 GB Samsung Spin Point M in MBP?

Post by liveISlife » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:49 am

If so hows the preformance? I have a 160GB 7200RPM drive in my MBP now and I run my Live and other librarys off a 7200 RPM firewire 400 drive. I was wondering how performace would be if I just ran everything off the internal 500GB 5400 rpm samsung drive. Thoughs? Comments? Suggestions? Tips? Advice? Precautions? Warnings? Dangers? Fright or flight responses?

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:31 pm

I posted a thread about this last week, some people responded about the process of actually swapping drives, but no one had done the Samsung. I am anxious to try this out but I'm a bit nervous about it. I was running out of room on my MBP so i ended up just moving all my loops to an external and keeping all my instruments on the HD. But someone on here must be using the Samsung?
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
BANDCAMP Download "Airlock" free-10 songs recorded in 10 Days

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:28 pm

Yeah man, I think I'm just going to to go for this. The external hardrive thing is anyoing. I wana be able to just have all Ableton, Logic, and Reason content on one drive and just get my headphones and make beats whereever, feel me?

The install does not look to bad. I found a good guide on the net-here- http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook ... ment/85/8/

I think the Samsung is the only 500GB drive that properly fits in the 15 inch MBP. Correct me if i am wrong.

So what do u say man? LET'S DO THE DAM THING! I just got to save a few worthless american notes and im good. or mabe ill just get in on a credit card, never pay it, hope the economy crashed before i have to :D

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:33 pm

Do you (or anyone else) know any good places online to order this drive Nepotist?

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:00 pm

I'm from Canada and i couldn't seem to find it anywhere, but Other World Computing sells it and ships to Canada so I was going to get it from there and just pay the duty. It comes with a case to put your old HD in so you can clone and then use it as an external, which is cool. I don't know though, i have to think about it, even though our economy is better than yours (for now anyway).
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:51 pm

My internal drive is 80G :x , so yeah I've been slightly wanting to upgrade. It seems like I'm buying a new external every 2 months because the small bus powered drives aren't quite ramping up on space the way large external powered drives.

The best tip I saw was first run it in a firewire external enclosure and make it a bootable clone of your original drive. TIP: you can't boot off of USB.

I just don't know how long you should test drive it before you make the physical swap. It feels to me like the scene at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark when he's trying to figure out how much sand he needs to put in the sack to match the weight of the idol. Now? How bout now? Um, er.

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:56 pm

i don't think its the actual drive that's scaring most people away, i think its the drive SWAP...I looked at the tutorial and it seems mostly straightforward but there's a lot of poking around to do in laptop itself which makes me nervous. No one seems to know definitively if it voids your whole warranty, or just the HD warranty, or what.
But yeah, 80 gigs, you must be ready to end it all...
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:01 pm

Yeah, it's mostly the physical swap that scares me. My laptop is a little over 2 years old so is it even under warranty? The other thing that scares me is an insane amount of plugins I have and I don't want to have to reinstall/authorize all of them. That's why I would want to test the drive for awhile.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:54 pm

beats me wrote:Yeah, it's mostly the physical swap that scares me. My laptop is a little over 2 years old so is it even under warranty? The other thing that scares me is an insane amount of plugins I have and I don't want to have to reinstall/authorize all of them. That's why I would want to test the drive for awhile.
If you clone your internal to the new drive you shouldn't have to reinstall/authorize any of them. I recently replaced the failing hard drive in my old powerbook with another drive using carbon copy cloner.

The only issue I had was that a few aliases did not link back to the actual file they were aliases of, so opening them opened up a different file!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Can you swap hard drives using Leopards Time Machine?
Professional Shark Jumper.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:19 pm

oblique strategies wrote:
beats me wrote:Yeah, it's mostly the physical swap that scares me. My laptop is a little over 2 years old so is it even under warranty? The other thing that scares me is an insane amount of plugins I have and I don't want to have to reinstall/authorize all of them. That's why I would want to test the drive for awhile.
If you clone your internal to the new drive you shouldn't have to reinstall/authorize any of them. I recently replaced the failing hard drive in my old powerbook with another drive using carbon copy cloner.

The only issue I had was that a few aliases did not link back to the actual file they were aliases of, so opening them opened up a different file!
Cool deal. Did you test drive it as an external for a bit first? I have this fear of removing 36 screws and other crap and reinstalling 36 screws and crap only to have it not boot.

Also the stress factor seems to be on MBPs. I heard on regular Macbooks and possibly older Mac laptops you can swap internal drives all day long with very little issue. Also on the MBP it sounds like there is very little room for drives that aren't the exact physicall demensions of the original drive.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:24 am

Dam beats me, tough times on the 80 gig! Don't worry guys I'm going to go for the kill and install this baby! I just need to pay off some fines and pay to get my licens back and then im going to buy this. so mabe a month or so before i get it. ill keep everyone updated.

o yeah beats me, unless u purchased apple care for you MBP it is not under warrenty anymore.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:06 am

I look forward to your report back.

I have Apple Care but I think that expired too :(

I'm one of those goons that believed if I was going to get a bigger internal drive and upgrade to Leopard then it would also come with a new laptop attached to it, but my accountant and the Bush administration said no. At least Obama promises a lemur in every garage!

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:37 pm

+1 waiting for the results.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:12 am

I just ordered it and will be taking the plunge tomorrow evening. Just got the new MBP 2.6, and am mos def looking forward to the additional space!!
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.