A friendly reminder....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:51 pm

Just like the majority of Earth, I think most people are good hearted and care to have fun and help others do the same... But... There's always an asshole or two around.

:arrow:
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:51 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:I'm guessing this thread hasn't quite gone as Robert intended...
The irony of this thread is making me LOL.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:53 pm

weeddigger wrote:Just like the majority of Earth, I think most people are good hearted and care to have fun and help others do the same...

:arrow:
I like to get naked alot and help ladeez do the same. I then proceed to have fun with them. It makes my heart good.

is this what you mean?

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:54 pm

nebulae wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote:I'm guessing this thread hasn't quite gone as Robert intended...
i bet he wished he locked it & just left it as a sticky!

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:54 pm

nebulae wrote:
Irony only exist in texas law firms, the rest of us don't get it.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:56 pm

b0unce wrote:oh, and display the first three digits of everyone's IP address so faggots like Crash will stick to one nick.
You'd be right at the top of the list of people I'd love to see crawl back in a hole forever.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:57 pm

UKRuss wrote:
nebulae wrote:
there's that dry British wit...almost as tasty as your food

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:59 pm

This is exactly what we're seeing here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

Community policing doesn't work because the community has no real power to stop the people that get off on insulting people and derailing threads. Like it or not, someone at Ableton is going to have to step in and ban the small handful of people that bring this forum down for everyone else or it's going to continue to be a useless cesspool.

As nice as it sounds, anarchy doesn't work in the real world or on line. Hell, even KVR has moderators.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:03 pm

b0unce wrote: And btw, whether it's your personal choice or your duty - it's still censorship.
No more so that it's censorship for me to refuse to allow you to spraypaint profanity on the front of my house. I'd love to see some real moderation and some long overdue bans on this board. If I want to find a free-for-all political discussion and flamewar I can find it in a million other places online. This forum should be about making music with Ableton's software.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:07 pm

nebulae wrote:
UKRuss wrote:
nebulae wrote: The irony of this thread is making me LOL.
there's that dry British wit...almost as tasty as your food

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG-pmg_CCeI
..?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:13 pm

:lol: :lol:

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:17 pm

kuniklo wrote:Community policing doesn't work because the community has no real power to stop the people that get off on insulting people and derailing threads. Like it or not, someone at Ableton is going to have to step in and ban the small handful of people that bring this forum down for everyone else or it's going to continue to be a useless cesspool.
Exactly. That's the real crux of the issue here. The majority of users naturally follow the code of conduct without even having to read it, but the majority has zero leverage against the significant minority who just can't behave in a civilised, respectful manner.

It's a real shame for the forum and for the ideal that no control is needed. We don't need a STASI, but a slightly stronger hand: without it, the majority has no teeth, and the minority can continue to bully and drag this forum down without fear of any action.

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks, I am ready for all this political BS to disappear so we can start sharing musical ideas and references again.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Noel

Post by Noel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:26 pm

I aggree with Rozling, this place is now a troll magnet.

Not only that but the filth, vitriol and general infantile behaviour of some posters actually drives away people who could otherwise make a make a useful contribution.

Also there are a few ultra arrogant know-it-alls who can't resist pouncing on any noob who dares to ask a question about something they don't understand - which diminishes one of the most important aspects of the forum; as a place where people can come for help. How many new users come here, ask a question, get insulted and never come back I wonder.

Then there are the Ableton fan boys that come out of the woodwork to call you an idiot if you dare to criticise any aspect of Live. And the Ableton haters who for some reason feel bitter toward the company and vent their frustration by disrupting the forum.

I also agree with the Abletons regarding moderation. They should not be wasting their time and energy on moderating this forum.

And having moderators from the user community would most likely turn it into a private club for the moderators and their little circle of friends.

I'd rather see a much more democratic system. Like a basic Thumbs Up/Thumbs down system. Something that lets me filter out the crap. On top of this there could be a positive/negative karma system so that posts from accounts that consistently post rubbish would get marked down as soon as they are posted. And people who consistently make good posts would be marked up. This would give people something to take a pride in besides thier post count.
Last edited by Noel on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noel has left the building!

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Noel wrote:I aggree with Rozling, this place is now a troll magnet.

Not only that but the filth, vitriol and general infantile behaviour of some posters actually drives away people who could otherwise make a make a useful contribution.

Also there are a few ultra arrogant know-it-alls who can't resist pouncing on any noob who dares to ask a question about something they don't understand - which diminishes one of the most important aspects of the forum; as a place where people can come for help. How many new users come here, ask a question, get insulted and never come back I wonder.

Then there are the Ableton fan boys that come out of the woodwork to call you an idiot if you dare to criticise any aspect of Live. And the Ableton haters who for some reason feel bitter toward the company and vent there frustration by disrupting the forum.

I also agree with the Abletons regarding moderation. They should not be wasting there time and energy on moderating this forum.

And having moderators from the user community would most likely turn it into a private club for the moderators and there little circle of friends.

I'd rather see a much more democratic system. Like a basic Thumbs Up/Thumbs down system. Something that lets me filter out the crap. On top of this there could be a positive/negative karma system so that posts from accounts that consistently post rubbish would get marked down as soon as they are posted. And people who consistently make good posts would be marked up. This would give people something to take a pride in besides there post count.
Nebulae has a troll script that may help.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.