A friendly reminder....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:30 pm

This thread is a pure indicator of what happens without control.

Descent into argument followed by personal abuse and general offense.

As long as we accept that is what will occur, it isn't an issue. However, it isn't what Robert was asking for or ,indeed, hoping for.

Stasi is an extreme example of control but not all policing has to be extreme.

A moderator who can remove posts and give a reason to the poster via PM would be more than welcome by everyone I'm sure.

It works like that in most places and sure sometimes the mods get the abuse in return but what you do get is a focused forum.

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:31 pm

Robert Henke wrote:The less time we spend with scrolling thru offensive nonsense, the more time we have for discussing more important topics...

Robert
+1

It has got a little.. OT here. OT can be quite good and informative, but sometimes it just gets in the way.. I think this forum is a great forum - be a shame to see it die a horrible death ?
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

trash

Post by trash » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:31 pm

b0unce wrote:better places for what ? american politics ?
yeah if only they didnt enforce their politics on the entire world , i for one might not be so harsh towards them cunts. i appreciate that ableton have made this forum anarchic in the true spirit of the internet and i want to underline that by saying fuck wank cunt shit bollocks nob... nice one robert. by the way - sort out your fades mate. and the crashes - ta. hey robert. how rich are you ? are you like most musicians ? scraping by for the love of their music ? i take it this bloke is someone who made ableton.. i have no idea who these cunts are and neither do i care much. but its medium level interesting... cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt. and also jews. sorry israelis should be so guilty of their heinous crimes and its america that is up their ass with the cash for them to perpetrate this attempted genocide. collective punishment is akin to nazi germany. whats the difference exactly. god i fucking hate americans. jamaicans, israelis and also wanker eastern european snotty cunts and germans. no , not germans. theyre alright. no sense of humour though. oh you are in berlin you might know my friend thomas, he makes this bland music lives right in the centre of berlin - kneesbeckerstrass or summat.. hes bald and has the funk of a 45 yr old german white man... actually hes not my friend at all - hes a bit of a cunt. hit him for me if you see him. cheers. thanks i really got my pre coffee anger out now. im off to have a bright day! bye now!

six_o_clock_crow
Location: Portsmouth: small town near Havant & Waterlooville, UK

Re: A friendly reminder....

Post by six_o_clock_crow » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:32 pm

Robert Henke wrote:This is a forum about music,
about music software,
and about related topics.

Thank you!
Robert
Funnily enough, it's these topics that I come to the Ableton forum for. Thank you for reiterating this, Robert - for what it's worth my respect for you has just gone up again!

I don't respond to the O/T posts or the petty squabbling because I don't want to encourage it. However, I am voicing my opinion here because I think it is relevant to the subject of this thread.

My opinion is that if you want to discuss politics etc. then why not go to relevant forums and discuss these topics there? Or if you REALLY feel that strongly then stop posting on a software forum and get involved in your local political system. Try and make a real difference.

I suspect the people concerned wont do this as this would involve acting upon their alleged beliefs. Debating issues with people who actually know what they are talking about would show them up as the ignorant children they really are.

esky

Post by esky » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:32 pm

+1 for UK Russ, definitly...!!!

trash

Post by trash » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:33 pm

chrisedmo wrote:
Robert Henke wrote:The less time we spend with scrolling thru offensive nonsense, the more time we have for discussing more important topics...

Robert
+1

It has got a little.. OT here. OT can be quite good and informative, but sometimes it just gets in the way.. I think this forum is a great forum - be a shame to see it die a horrible death ?
-1 forum moderation is so gay. and the mods usually get more up their asses than the tr011s.... audionews.ru is a prime example. great copy of your program on there by the way !

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:33 pm

...and there it is. :lol:

My point underlined I believe.

UKRuss 1 Ableton 0

trash

Post by trash » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:34 pm

six_o_clock_crow wrote:
about music software,

Thank you!
Robert
Funnily enough, it's these topics that I come to the Ableton forum for. Thank you for reiterating this, Robert - for what it's worth my respect for you has just gone up again!

I don't respond to the O/T posts or the petty squabbling because I don't want to encourage it. However, I am voicing my opinion here because I think it is relevant to the subject of this thread.

My opinion is that if you want to discuss politics etc. then why not go to relevant forums and discuss these topics there? Or if you REALLY feel that strongly then stop posting on a software forum and get involved in your local political system. Try and make a real difference.

I suspect the people concerned wont do this as this would involve acting upon their alleged beliefs. Debating issues with people who actually know what they are talking about would show them up as the ignorant children they really are.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

try and make a difference ????

you obviously DO NOT understand the political system AT ALL.
idiot.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:35 pm

Poster wrote:
b0unce wrote:
Poster wrote: I totally disagree with you posting those images, here..
Well seeing as you want rid of the USpolitical threads also you are entitled to disagree.

This thread is about problems with the forum, meef expressed relief that it might mean the end of the USpoliitical threads, I posted pics of injured Iraqi's to drive the point home.
I knew what point you were making with those images..
its just that I found them disgusting..

anyway, on topic..
yes I would really like to see the OT/US politics threads to go into a separate forum so I have the choice to not seeing them..
The topic comes often. Now, if you look at the front page of the General forum, there are about 50 topics. 4 of them don't talk about music, dancing, Live or other creative softwares. 1 of them is forum user against forum user ego trip, and this one. Other sections of the forum talk about Live and music exclusively. Is that this bad?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:35 pm

Robert Henke wrote:OT sections would not help.

The problem is not the [OT] threads, but those which start as a useful discussion about a music related topic and end up as flame wars. What would you do with those threads? Shall we move this thread here to an OT section since it has been abused already?

Robert
we're discussing 2 different things here..

1. people who hijack valuable threads..
2. the OT flood that has taken over the general forum..

1. cannot be moderated no.. totally up to the users..
2. its worth trying no?
or just leave general for what it is (its an OT forum now anyway) and create new specific sections..

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:36 pm

Robert Henke wrote:OT sections would not help.

The problem is not the [OT] threads, but those which start as a useful discussion about a music related topic and end up as flame wars. What would you do with those threads? Shall we move this thread here to an OT section since it has been abused already?

Robert
No, you should continue doing exactly what you do - not moderate. I'm not talking about a bunch of OT sections. I'm talking about one. Simply having that available for people to start purely political threads would be a huge advantage and noone would have anything to whine about. If someone still wants to post political threads in the general forum, you do exactly what you do now if someone posts a feature request or a bug in the general forum - nothing at all if you don't want to. Chances are someone would say "Hey why don't you take this to to the feature request forum" or tips 'n tricks or whatever the case may be.

I just can't understand why you guys see the (very solid) logic behind having a separate tips, feature request and bugs forum sections but not general OT.

The general forum is split into two very distinct themes - topics that have nothing to do with music and topics that do.

If you disagree it really does not bother me personally at all, I just think it would be as helpful as having any of the other sections be independent from the general section.

regards,
grb
Last edited by glitchrock-buddha on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Shark Jumper.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:37 pm

I'm guessing this thread hasn't quite gone as Robert intended...
..?

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:39 pm

trash wrote:
six_o_clock_crow wrote:
about music software,

Thank you!
Robert

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

try and make a difference ????

you obviously DO NOT understand the political system AT ALL.
idiot.
So, since we're at it, I'll repeat the same question for you: what are you looking for, what's your goal here?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:40 pm

Amaury wrote:
Poster wrote:
b0unce wrote: Well seeing as you want rid of the USpolitical threads also you are entitled to disagree.

This thread is about problems with the forum, meef expressed relief that it might mean the end of the USpoliitical threads, I posted pics of injured Iraqi's to drive the point home.
I knew what point you were making with those images..
its just that I found them disgusting..

anyway, on topic..
yes I would really like to see the OT/US politics threads to go into a separate forum so I have the choice to not seeing them..
The topic comes often. Now, if you look at the front page of the General forum, there are about 50 topics. 4 of them don't talk about music, dancing, Live or other creative softwares. 1 of them is forum user against forum user ego trip, and this one. Other sections of the forum talk about Live and music exclusively. Is that this bad?

Regards,
Amaury
currently, today, maybe not that bad..
but you also know that differs a lot from day to day..

aah well.. nevermind..

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:40 pm

Robert,

Thanks for your post, but as you can see this thread itself, incredibly, is turning into a mess of the same sort we have to wade through on the general board every day.

I used to like the mix of on and off topic, and I'm certainly not for moderation, but things have gotten so ridiculously out of hand over the last couple of years that I find I spend less and less time here, just as I have seen many familiar members disappear.

Can you, or someone from HQ, please respond to the idea of an OT forum. Is there a reason you don't want to do this? I think it may be the only way to rescue this board from a complete meltdown.
Image Image