I can hear my PC thinking through my sub-woofer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

I can hear my PC thinking through my sub-woofer

Post by forge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:21 pm

I have never come across this before

I wouldn't think it is a grounding issue as it's not constant

but when my external hard drive is accessed, or even when I scroll up and down pages in firefox with the mouse scroll wheel then I hear noise through my sub woofer that quite clearly coincides with it!

anyone had this before? know what it is?

tis worrysome..

I have a laptop with 4pin firewire into FW410 which is plugged into the sub

the mouse is plugged in through an old unpowered USB hub and the hard drive is plugged in to a different USB2 port on the laptop

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:28 pm

I've had the same thing happen, but I don't know what caused it. Sometimes it seemed to be location dependent, which made me think it was a power issue....other times it seemed pretty random. It wasn't just coming through the sub, though, but through all speakers.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:31 pm

I have a USB mouse hooked up to Macbook Pro and when there is no sound or music going on (rare) I can hear a very faint sort of bleepy-whirring when I use the scroll wheel or left-click etc.

I'm using Firewire Ultralite btw.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:45 pm

if the soundcard is bus powered try using the wallwart that came with it. my saffire le makes all types of squirrelly noises when bus powered.

Deadbeat

Post by Deadbeat » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi guys

It's a very common problem witn PC laptops that use a 3 prong plug. Solution is to ground lift it with an adapter or failing that rip the round ground plug out entirely.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:49 pm

try doing it while running on batteries.
if it doesn't happen anymore, it means it's a ground loop problem.

eamoon

Post by eamoon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:54 pm

Also, if the laptop is plugged into an external monitor try unplugging that -- the DVI port on laptops often seems to have weird grounding issues.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:02 pm

thanks all

eamoon wrote:Also, if the laptop is plugged into an external monitor try unplugging that -- the DVI port on laptops often seems to have weird grounding issues.
actually I wondered this - because the lead to the monitor is a bit dodgy and it seems to relate to things on screen too - for example, even when I hover the mouse over links on this forum that change as you hover (like turn bold on mouse over) then I hear a noise

I will try all these things

unfortunately as I am doing voiceover stuff for a living I had to move the laptop out of the way and just use external keyboard/monitor and mouse otherwise the laptop fan noise etc is right next to my mic and very noisy

I also wondered if my USB hub had somethign to do with it because there have been times I've hot plugged or unplugged and got a blue screen so it is possibly a bit dodgy

{edit] BTW Eamoon - you must be one of the loldest posters on this forum! I just noticed your join date!!!

Newecho

Re: I can hear my PC thinking through my sub-woofer

Post by Newecho » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:17 am

forge wrote:I have never come across this before

I had a similar problem and lifting the ground on the speakers fixed it. If it ends up being ground related, you might want to check out the the The Hum X Exterminator. I blogged about it here http://www.modulatethis.com/2008/09/rem ... und-l.html.

I've not tried this gadget myself yet, but plan to. Anyone else out there have luck with this solution?
http://www.markmoshermusic.com

Live 8 Suite;HP DV6; Novation Remote SL, Launchpad, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Moog Etherwave Theremin;Alchemy,Sylenth1,Absynth,ACE,Synplant,Harmles,Gladiator 2,Dimension Pro...

forge

Post by forge » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:02 am

Newecho wrote:

I had a similar problem and lifting the ground on the speakers fixed it. If it ends up being ground related, you might want to check out the the The Hum X Exterminator. I blogged about it here http://www.modulatethis.com/2008/09/rem ... und-l.html.

I've not tried this gadget myself yet, but plan to. Anyone else out there have luck with this solution?
wow - that actually fixed it thanks Mark - I have never seen bad grounding manifest like that!

Newecho

Post by Newecho » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:46 am

forge wrote:
Newecho wrote:

wow - that actually fixed it thanks Mark - I have never seen bad grounding manifest like that!
Hey no problem glad that cleared up the problem.

Live 8 Suite;HP DV6; Novation Remote SL, Launchpad, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Moog Etherwave Theremin;Alchemy,Sylenth1,Absynth,ACE,Synplant,Harmles,Gladiator 2,Dimension Pro...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:34 am

Deadbeat wrote:Hi guys

It's a very common problem witn PC laptops that use a 3 prong plug. Solution is to ground lift it with an adapter or failing that rip the round ground plug out entirely.
did you ever stop to think that ground plug was there for a reason?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:46 am

Johnisfaster wrote:

she'll be right :wink:

Newecho

Post by Newecho » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:02 am

Johnisfaster wrote:

Your absolutely right. I was just trying to help isolate the problem. Fixing the root cause is the smart thing to do. The really strange thing about this issue when I had is that you don't hear the classic 60hz hum. You just hear the sound when the head seeks on the HD.

Johnifaster, thoughts on this gadet http://www.modulatethis.com/2008/09/rem ... und-l.html?

forge

Post by forge » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:25 am

there is a good article in SOS on this: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul05/a ... 0705_1.htm

years ago I used to work for an AV company where my boss used to just bend the earth pin all the time - really dodgy when you think about it. especially with public liability and all that - but it kind of got me into the habit, but as it says in this article, probably not wise in case there is a fault, and with a curious 6 year old in the house I guess I'm going to have to go through the tedious problem solving process

the suggestion in that article to make up 'pseudo unbalanced leads' looks like a good idea - that never would have occurred to me as I would have just assumed it would be counter productive, but he seems to think it's worth it

guess it's time to get a new soldering iron and make up some leads!

cheers