Tweaking Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:21 am

kabelton wrote:hey dirtybomb!!!

thank you!!! starting direct from live5 my cpu went down from 30 to 23 % with the live5 performing test.
Whoah that's serious! 7% is not to be sniffed at!

Sweetjesus need more testers? I'm only working on the desktop at the moment so I could test it on my Laptop. It's XP home though. :D

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:40 am

yes! 7% is really great.
does anybody know a utility to switch between live and normal startup at startup?

thanks

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:08 am

Tommy Genes wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:I'd like to start off by asking for 2 people to alpha test this for me in the coming days. Please volunteer if you are someone who is relatively tech savvy (coding proficient or a systems administrator).
Have you found your alpha testers yet? I'd hate to see the project falter because you haven't. I don't necessarily have coding skills, although I still consider myself tech savyv, but I might still be willing to alpha test with proper hard drive and registry backups.

-- T. G. --
djsynchro and TG, I will get back into this project by the beginning of February, would love to have two alpha testers !!!!! Thank yo so much!

Rx

Post by Rx » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:59 pm

make that 3.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:51 am

this is really interesting. however, my performance test turned out exactly the same. maybe i have windows as bared down as it gets already (?) i did notice maybe 1 or 2 less processes running than normal

*sigh*

Re: Tweaking Live

Post by *sigh* » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:29 pm

bleakbard wrote:
fzero wrote:
dirtybomb wrote:When I use Live in a live environment, I run it as a 'Custom user interface' or 'shell' in Windows XP Professional. Basically what this is if you aren't familiar with it, is replacing Explorer with Live as a shell. This means there is no desktop environment, no taskbar, no start menu, no applets running, etc.

There are many advantages to this when using Live - improved stability, free memory, improved performance, etc. The disadvantage is you lose a practical way to multi-task. (But who needs multi-tasking when you only need to run Live live?)
:idea: Isn't it possible to alter the group policy for one user and leave the other with the standard shell? Windows XP is multi-user, and this setting seems to be user-dependent.

This way, Windows would ask you a login/password each time you boot and you could simply choose the right user for the right task. I'll try this here and come back to tell you guys if it works. 8)
yes, it works nicely! had the same thought and just tried it out. have a windows shell username and an ableton shell one 8)

now to see what improvement there is in performance...thanks dirtybomb!
The shell, when I do this, seems to persist when logging off/on between users but not if i reboot... any way around this?