NEVER SELL MUSIC GEAR

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:56 pm

I'll '+1' this thread! I really miss the following:

K Station
MPD16
Pod XT Pro (the tasty rack-mount one)
Focusrite Penta compressor/mic pre
M-Audio FW410 (two of the things!)

I'm sure there's been more, but those are the ones that come to mind right now. Need to get me some more outboard processing I think... a decent master channel compressor/mic pre at least. And a DSI eVolver desktop!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

channelite

Post by channelite » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:46 pm

Don't miss the digidesign 003R, Korg X5, Audiomedia 2, Roland Space echo, Mackie 1202 & 1604vlz, MPD16. Kinda miss the MPD24 a little, but the pad kontrol is better. Came close to selling the Axiom 25 a couple of times.

I think if you have some old gear that you haven't used in a while, sell it. Currently I have two drum kits and am debating selling one. Maybe when I get cash strapped, I'll let one go.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:00 am

sold suitcase rhodes and mpc3000

like the biggest dumbass ever

forge

Post by forge » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:32 am

Machinesworking wrote:
forge wrote:yeah but I mean stupid shit like an SM57 - worth more to keep

a stalwart that will always have a use

my biggest regret ever is an all valve 50 watt JCM800 marshall combo - that actually makes me feel like I want to cry - sold it at cash converters for about 1/3rd of what it was worth because I was totally broke but I should have sold blood or semen or something - anything
We are brothers in shame. :(

I sold a 1969 Marshall Major 200 watt head with a slant back bottom cabinet w/4 Celestian 65w 12"s in it for $600 USD...... about 1/4 what it was worth, so I could buy a crappy car, and because I was convinced that I was going to do everything in the box, and I was broke at the time. It sold in 10 minutes, ad posted at noon, and the guy called and picked it up that day.
The fucker tried talking me down on the price because it wasn't mint!
Should have to him to get the fuck out of my house, cheap bastard.

Now, I got lucky on a used Mackie Control, but still have yet to sell the Bheringer BCF2000 that has crappy Mac software, and isn't really useful at all considering I also use a Remote SL for keys. I'm paranoid about it actually, still have a MOTU 828 sitting around for the day that I build a PC rack, even though I'm not as interested in software after renewing my love of hardware...... blah.

I have to say I'm probably in the opposite boat, every time I've replaced gear in the last year, I'v kept the old stuff, in need of a sale really. :?
yeah the really depressing thing is since then I've just learned to live through those hard few days that happen where you don't get paid for a few days and have nothign - sometimes you really don't need anythign and can manage somehow, the money I got for that marshall would have gone in no time on crap from the supermarket we probably didn;'t even need

like you, I thought I'd just use guitar rig or somethign, but NOTHING will EVER come close to a real valve amp like that - worse still miked up with an SM57 that I also sold in similar circumstances - I just figured I didn't play guitar much so it doesn't matter, but that's just a lack of foresight

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 am

Retrospect is a BITCH innit!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

furrybum

Post by furrybum » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:41 pm

Roland SH09 - Miss it like mad.
Boss SP 505 - Hated it but kinda wish i still had it strangely
Bassstation - Don't miss it at all
Roland EF303 - sometimes miss it for the sequencer
Novation Nova - Miss it's knobbiness lots but it paid for my MicroKorg
Electribe ER1 - Miss it loads as it was my first bit of hardware
Electribe ESX-1 - Miss it for the sequencer and being away from the laptop.
Korg Prophecy - Never used it for anything more than being a midi keyboard in the whole time i had it.
Yamaha CS01 - Miss its novelty value
Roland MC09 - Keep forgetting I had it.
Roland 707 - Sampled it and sold it...job done
Macbook (An old white one...WITH FIREWIRE!!!!!)
Tascam Fireone
Spongefork
Logic Studio
Tassman 4
Live 7

http://www.myspace.com/darklightuk

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:57 pm

I have to say I regret every single piece of kit I ever sold
You've obviously had way better gear than me, on average. I regret buying nearly every piece of gear I've ever had.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:01 pm

mbenigni wrote:
I have to say I regret every single piece of kit I ever sold
You've obviously had way better gear than me, on average. I regret buying nearly every piece of gear I've ever had.
no not necessarily

plus I expect that's not strictly true, I exaggerate. but most! ;-)

usually there's some use for things

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:29 pm

I kinda like having to adjust, forcing myself to work with different gear limitations, the sense of freedom that purging brings etc. No regrets!

Sold:
Wavestation
M1
TG-77
VFX
LXP-5
R8
Strat
Tele
Twin
Ampeg bass amp
SM-57
Yamaha FX rack... what was it called?
Mixer... was it a TEAC, I forget?
Way too many plugins to remember

Gave away:
My first acoustic guitar
My first electric guitar, a '77 Gibson Marauder, original owner and mint!
My 5 string banjo, actually it was given to me, so fair enough
Image Image

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:47 pm

...more stuff coming back to me now, I also gave away my Fender Champ and a 4x12 cabinet I used with my Ampeg head.
Image Image

forge

Post by forge » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:53 pm

polyslax wrote: Gave away:
My first acoustic guitar
Dear god no! 8O

I will never get rid of my guitars - sentimental value as much as anything - my first guitar I will have had 20 years this XMas - it's a classical and sounds not that bad except a few weeks ago part of the bridge snapped so the strings are now lower and twangier
4 of my guitars were given to me so I can't ever get rid of them, and my 5th, a Seagull 12 string is really nice sounding so it's a keeper too

the biggest things I regret are the JCM800, the SM57 and the Yamaha A3000 with about 20 zip disks and a hard drive full of samples specific to my songs from antiquity
polyslax wrote: My 5 string banjo, actually it was given to me, so fair enough
still I'm sure you will regret that too one day

rozling

Post by rozling » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:20 pm

Sold:
Cubase to pay for Live :)
E-mu vintage keys to pay for holiday :)
ART Tube MP Studio V3 preamp :(
Microkorg because I realised it sucked :)
Yamaha AW16G because it was time.

I also regret allowing the only 57 I've had so far to be stolen from me (along with a few prized CDs) in Barcelona.

But this all pales in comparison to my Hammond L100 that has been sitting unplayed for several years now. I need to sell that thing so bad right now but don't think I'll ever be able to. It trips the circuit breaker every time it's turned on.

Also regret not buying (although I was unable at the time) an amazing Leslie from a soon-to-be closed dodgyish music shop in Temple Bar here in Dublin. It was as tall as me and had the separate upper/lower rotary horns. Also accepted 1/4" and you could control the sound of the reverb by pulling on a piece of string...

jesso

Post by jesso » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:31 pm

Here Rozling,
Which music shop is that? I can only think of The one that used to be on Crowe Street in Temple Bar. I left a Wah pedal in for repair and then forgot about it for a couple of years. Needless to say it wasnt there when I went back to get it.... although that shops been closed for years.
Just sold my huge trace elliot bass cabs.... and im kinda regreting it. Although they paid almost for my new markbass combo.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:31 pm

rozling wrote: But this all pales in comparison to my Hammond L100 that has been sitting unplayed for several years now. I need to sell that thing so bad right now but don't think I'll ever be able to. It trips the circuit breaker every time it's turned on.
8O no way can you ever sell that

you gotta get it fixed!

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:46 pm

forge wrote:
polyslax wrote: Gave away:
My first acoustic guitar
Dear god no! 8O

I will never get rid of my guitars - sentimental value as much as anything
I hear you, but I try not to get too attached to things, and I regularly purge stuff that most people would probably hang on to forever... I really do find it liberating somehow.
forge wrote:
polyslax wrote: My 5 string banjo, actually it was given to me, so fair enough
still I'm sure you will regret that too one day
I gave that away in September 1984, so I doubt it's coming back to haunt me at this point. :)
Image Image