All times are UTC

Post subject: cool laptop music event in nyc
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:39 pm 

just spotted this . . . wired is sponsoring an event in conjunction with mwny called 'lapdance' (at remote lounge, 18 july), featuring a bevy of laptop dj's. while the article doesn't say for sure, i'd be surprised if 'live' wasn't being used at some point . . . in any case, if you're in nyc, this should definitely be worth checking out . . .

it looks cool enough, but as a 'pc' guy, i'm a little bummed that the event is featuring only mac-based artists . . . the wired article drives the nail in hard:

"New York is a Macintosh town. The city is the center of America's creative industries, which are dominated by Macs.

" 'Everyone I know uses a Mac,' said one New York graphic designer. 'It's strange, I hardly ever see a PC.'

"On July 18, Wired News will showcase the finest Macintosh technology shaking up the New York club scene.

"The event, called Lapdance, will feature some of New York's hottest PowerBook DJs. Instead of records on turntables, these audio artists spin tunes from their laptops."

here's a link to the full article at wired:

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,53735,00.html

and to remote lounge, where the event is being held:

http://www.remotelounge.com/

enjoy!

::| m e m e t i c |::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:37 pm 

I'd like to know who, at this event, [/i]wouldn't be using Live, and why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:24 pm 

NY a Mac town? Wow, that's great to hear- in more ways than one! Being a native Northern Californian who grew up in the shadow of Apple Headquarters, I assumed that our high concentration of Mac users was just a natural concsequence and somewhat unique... now if only we had events like this! :lol:

Post subject: sounds good...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:24 pm 

yo, i might check this out. anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:55 am 

*definitely* going . . .

will most likely be at SHARE this sunday too . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:00 am 
i'll be there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:36 am 
ooooohhhhh,

so for mac's only, he? talk about peer-peeps-shit. but still, i wish i still were in NYC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:33 pm 

I'll be there.

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:33 pm 

I guess the event already happened... how was it? I will be comming out to NYC for a week (27-5)... i would love it if some locals could clue me in on some hot spots for live laptop fun. I am sure there are tons of things going on in the city (warp tour on the 31st anyone going?) tjwett?

thanks,
::chris_borgia::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 9:39 pm 

It was pretty cool - a few people with different styles. A fair number of the people there came from Mac World (Expo, whatever) to take advantage of the 2 for 1 drink specials, but otherwise it was a pretty small but interested crowd. Current Ableton homepage coverboy Taylor Dupree was around to add some pseudo-celebrity flava to the proceedings.

Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:58 am 
for what it's worth, there were a number of problems that kept the night from being ideal for the performers. the club overbooked and the event was moved from one floor to the other more than once. so a lot of the sets were moved around and cut short. the sound downstairs was less than ideal. there was compression on the mix that made the music breathe and pump in the most annoying way.

even with all that it was a fun night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:19 am 

I'd also like to add, for what it's worth, that QPE had a really cool set - you have any mixes online bro?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:12 am 

chris_borgia wrote:
I guess the event already happened... how was it? I will be comming out to NYC for a week (27-5)... i would love it if some locals could clue me in on some hot spots for live laptop fun. I am sure there are tons of things going on in the city (warp tour on the 31st anyone going?) tjwett?

thanks,

hey, checkout "Share" at []pen Air on Sunday nights. Check out Halcyon in Bklyn whenever. check out the Knitting Factory for all around good things going on in jazz and whatnot. Those are the places i hang at and they've been good lately. for regular drinking bars i usually go to the lower east side or Bklyn. enjoy your stay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:24 pm 

i'll concur, it was a pretty groovin' time . . . imho, the first set was great (i think it was lloop, one of the share founders) . . . and yeah, qpe had a kickin' set too. i'm not sure what was goin' on towards the end . . . some guy in a psychadelic zulu get-up doin' a percussion solo . . . he wasn't bad, it just seemed a little disjoined from the theme (unless apple has started manufacturing titanium toms?!)

despite what sounded like tech difficulties, the overall vibe of the space was very cool . . . the vids on top of the jams on top of the already "techie" motif (video/telephone stations output to hundreds of monitors all over the place, controllable by people at the bar/stations) . . .

unfortunately, events like this don't happen too often, or i just haven't been able to find them . . . we need more like this!!

as far as cool places to hang in NYC, i think tjwett hit the biggies . . .you might also want to check out vOid, on mercer and howard streets down in soho . . . it's a cool space, tech oriented, with a huge-ass vid screen showing anything from 1920's surrealist clips to the latest in CGI psychadelia . . . but the music, admittedly, is hit or miss - usually best on the weekend.

more at: http://www.voidltd.com/

::| m e m e t i c |::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:37 pm 

Thanks, tjwett and memetic, very helpful indeed so far my planed time in NY is getting rather exciting (i know it would) ...You guys have it nice out there with all these events and venues catering to our technology oriented music. I will be missing the Los Angeles leg of the Warp US tour to bad because we have a table at the venue and i could have jammed there-> but i will be in NY for the date the warp tour plays there and have planed to spend that evening chilling with that crew.. i will check out vOid though, seems cool any other nights that might be laptop music friendly-> feel free to bring them on.