Problem with Spark in OSX...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tjwett

Problem with Spark in OSX...

Post by tjwett » Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:30 pm

i just installed Spark ME for Mac OSX. this is a great editor. hard to believe it's free! anyway i want to use it with Live. i made a copy and placed it in VST folder. it works great as a set of VST plugins but i want to use it as my sample editor also. it will let me browse all the way into the Spark folder but when i get there the only thing that isn't highlighted or available to choose is the application, the one i need. i tried removing the app from the folder and just placing it on the desktop and had the same problem. is it because i have another copy of Spark in my VST folder as well? remember these are 2 seperate copies of the app. maybe OSX will not let me open 2 Sparks at once? any ideas?

Stefan Haller

Re: Problem with Spark in OSX...

Post by Stefan Haller » Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:06 pm

tjwett wrote:it will let me browse all the way into the Spark folder but when i get there the only thing that isn't highlighted or available to choose is the application, the one i need.
This is our fault. Spark is a bundled app (actually a folder that only looks like an application), and Live doesn't know how to work with bundles yet. We hope to fix this in the next major version.

For now, you can work around the problem by making a symbolic link to the actual application file inside the bundle folder. Unfortunately, you need to go to the Terminal for this.

Open the Terminal, and cd into the Spark folder. For example, if you installed in the default location in /Applications, type this:

Code: Select all

cd '/Applications/SPARK ME 2.5'
Now make the symbolic link:

Code: Select all

ln -s 'Spark ME.app/Contents/MacOS/SPARK ME' Spark-Link
Now go back into Live and choose Spark-Link as your sample editor. That should work.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Stefan Haller
haller@ableton.com

jdg

alias?

Post by jdg » Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:04 pm

how bout just creating an alias with the finder? i know aliases and links are diff but if it works, peeple who hate the terminal won't have use it.
www.google.com

best website ever

Stefan Haller

Re: alias?

Post by Stefan Haller » Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:31 pm

jdg wrote:how bout just creating an alias with the finder?
If this would work, I would have suggested it. Unfortunately it doesn't.
Stefan Haller
haller@ableton.com

tjwett

thanks...

Post by tjwett » Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:54 pm

thanks Stefan,
i'll give it a shot. this will be my first time in the terminal. i guess i have got to learn sometime. hopefully i won't blow anything up!

maarthel

Post by maarthel » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:13 pm

There is a way without the Terminal.
Go to the Spark application. open contextual menu (mouse+ctrl) there's an option to show the contents of the application.
In there you see an alias of Spark ME. Copy this to where ever you want it. (I' ve put in the Live application folder). Now you can select Spark in Live.

Maarten

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:24 am

maarthel wrote:There is a way without the Terminal.
Go to the Spark application. open contextual menu (mouse+ctrl) there's an option to show the contents of the application.
In there you see an alias of Spark ME. Copy this to where ever you want it. (I' ve put in the Live application folder). Now you can select Spark in Live.

Maarten
i tried this and it didn't work. the alias is just greyed out like the other one. anything i'm missing?

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:01 am

Thanks for the topic tjwet. I had the same problem. The symbolic link worked for me and now I can open Spark from the editor in OSX but I can't get the Spark plugins. What would the link be for the plugins?

maarthel

Post by maarthel » Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:31 am

i tried this and it didn't work. the alias is just greyed out like the other one. anything i'm missing?[/quote]

Ok, I shall try to be more precise. When you open the folder "spark ME 2.5" you see 4 items, one of them seems to be the application Spark ME. But, as Stephan said, this is actually a kind of folder that you cannot open by doubleclicking it. Instead you open it with a contextual menu (ctrl+click). Then you'll get a contextualmenu and you choose "show contents" (or something similar, I use a Dutch system so I don't know the english words). If you do that, you'll see the "folder" in which there's an alias of the real application Spark ME. Then you have to copy this alias and then in Live choose this copy.
It worked for me and I think it's actually the same thing Stephan did in the Terminal.

I hope it works now for you, it really did for me.

Succes!

Maarten

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:47 am

Ok, I shall try to be more precise. When you open the folder "spark ME 2.5" you see 4 items, one of them seems to be the application Spark ME. But, as Stephan said, this is actually a kind of folder that you cannot open by doubleclicking it. Instead you open it with a contextual menu (ctrl+click). Then you'll get a contextualmenu and you choose "show contents" (or something similar, I use a Dutch system so I don't know the english words). If you do that, you'll see the "folder" in which there's an alias of the real application Spark ME. Then you have to copy this alias and then in Live choose this copy.
It worked for me and I think it's actually the same thing Stephan did in the Terminal.

I hope it works now for you, it really did for me.

Succes!

Maarten
okay, tried it again and nothing. i did exactly what you said and i understand what you're explaining. infact, it was the first thing i tried to do before even posting this problem. your instructions make sense for this but it just does not seem to be working on my machine. thanks though.

maarthel

Post by maarthel » Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:35 am

Hm, strange.
Maybe it's the OS? I run OS X 10.1.5 (you probably also).
But the way Stephan explained worked OK?

I hope you can use Spark as your editor now.

Greetz, Maarten

lasers and their beams

Post by lasers and their beams » Sun Jul 21, 2002 3:18 am

I just tried it here, too. I have Live and SparkME both in my Applications folder. Then I placed my SparkME alias into my Live application folder. Now in Live I click the edit button, and SparkME opens. But my sample is not appearing in SparkME's edit window. I got it to appear in there ONCE ( on my first attempt, and it was cool!), but my successive attempts are not working. I don't know, have I inadvertently changed some setting in Spark whereby my Live sample isn't recongized? Any luck at all, tjwett?

Steve

Neil

Post by Neil » Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:36 pm

Im having the same problem here.. I think it has something to do with soley SparkMe...
spark doesnt read .wav .aiff files as normal files.. in order to read them in sparkme, you have to inport them as quicktime files... even if you take a sample and drag it into sparkMe, it doesnt open up... has anyone else tried any other audio editor for osx that actually works with the edit button on live?