why is so expensive?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: why is so expensive?

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:34 pm

Companies charging anything at all for their software is the #1 cause of piracy.

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:37 pm

I wonder what the OP did in the end?

He could be a shit hot famous producer now.

Post by 102455 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:11 pm

No, I don't think so (he has 19 followers on SoundCloud).

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:25 am

jlgrimes wrote:
rhodes wrote:i think ableton live is too expensive.
i can't afford to buy any ableton software
i HAVE to download it in a php software, i want to make music, i dont want to sell my liver to pay a 499 US software.
people of ableton have to pay attention, not all your costumers live in switzerland or any rich country.
Ableton is inline with most DAWs maybe a tad on the expensive side.

That said if you need a basic tracker and a great mixing/automation app, Reaper is $60. FL Studio is also decently priced hence it has a large following. If u have a Mac there is Logic a great DAW for $200.

Most DAWS have smaller versions as well.

Pro Tools, Cubase, Ableton, and Sonar are around $400-$500.

Most companies also have sales every now and then.

Music is an expensive hobby or passion. It has been this way for a long time. It is actually cheaper now to get into.

Back in like 1995 or so, you would be spending about $10000 or so to just get in the game.

People are getting in the game now with a cheap PC and a cheap DAW.
This is where Ableton often falls short.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:35 am

Why were they all shitting on the op?
Ableton live is too expensive, hes right.
Abletons market is mostly musicians and musicians starting out usually don't have a lot of money.
These assholes that were telling him to "get a job" are not realizing that a musician can not only be a job but also business.
No kid nor poor person should feel guilty for downloading "illegal" copies of anything especially when the software can be used to get out of poverty or at least escape the weight of poverty for a few hours. You shouldn't feel bad breaking a law if it will help a human. You especially should feel good breaking laws that hurt humans.

These software companies know that they could charge an amount for the software where everyone could afford it and still make their greedy profit.
Its just Elitism The 3 people that are the heads of Ableton know this.

I dont care about the childish argument of "well its mine and I can charge whatever I want", If you have a tool that is useful to the human race but will only let the human race use it at a price that puts it out of reach of most people you are no better than the health care business of the U.S. You have something and you are dangling it in front of people who have a need for it Fuck You.

Low cost software being successful on the ipad is proof that charging hundreds of dollars for software is unneeded and an old elitist business model.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:06 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Funk N. Furter wrote:Anyone know where I can get a knock-off mac mini from?
they're free to anyone that can drink a gallon of sulfuric acid in 60 seconds.
*wipes chin*

did i have to enter an email address before or does the browser redirect?

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:46 am

It sucks if OP lives in a country with lower "living standards" than some of the richer western countries but that's just how the world works.

Besides, Ableton Live doesn't really cost that much compared to a PC + Sound card + Monitors and all the other shit you need to even use the software anyway.

OP can always get the Live Intro version which I did and used for 3 years because I was a student and probably had less money than many people in developing countries. It's perfectly fine for starting out.

login

Post by login » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:28 pm

I live in a third world country, affording a computer is a big deal. No point in arguing about the siftware, there are MANY alternatives.

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:04 pm

beatz01 wrote:@ghostfx

Speaking of not wasting time and using this forum correctly, why do you pull up a thread that has already died like 10 years ago ?

Bit necrophile, if you ask me.
Ghost FX probably just stumbled on the thread in some search results and didn't note the date on it.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:30 am

BoddAH wrote:It sucks if OP lives in a country with lower "living standards" than some of the richer western countries but that's just how the world works.

Besides, Ableton Live doesn't really cost that much compared to a PC + Sound card + Monitors and all the other shit you need to even use the software anyway.

OP can always get the Live Intro version which I did and used for 3 years because I was a student and probably had less money than many people in developing countries. It's perfectly fine for starting out.
Yes I understand this is how the world currently works and I disagree with it and feel it should be rejected at any opportunity.

I also understand that they offer live lite with a select hardware, what if the person cant afford the hardware? what if they can afford the hardware but find the software severely limiting. I feel these situations are a form of oppression and when in these situations you should ignore an oppressive law and you should do what is best for your self or other humans.
Computers are suppose to be tools to help people not just for a few born into opportunity but for everyone. I don't care if software makers nor anyone else cant grasp that concept.
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:26 am

nathannn wrote:
BoddAH wrote:It sucks if OP lives in a country with lower "living standards" than some of the richer western countries but that's just how the world works.

Yes I understand this is how the world currently works and I disagree with it and feel it should be rejected at any opportunity.

I also understand that they offer live lite with a select hardware, what if the person cant afford the hardware? what if they can afford the hardware but find the software severely limiting. I feel these situations are a form of oppression and when in these situations you should ignore an oppressive law and you should do what is best for your self or other humans.
Computers are suppose to be tools to help people not just for a few born into opportunity but for everyone. I don't care if software makers nor anyone else cant grasp that concept.
If you can't afford the software nor the hardware, well that's just tough fuckin shit. You must be a subtle troll though, you're too ridiculous to be real. Idealistic unrealistic hippie. What if I can't afford a Gibson guitar? I'm oppressed! hahaha

login

Post by login » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:02 am

nathannn wrote:

Opression? LOL

You need some perspective on what poverty and opression is.

Opression is when Mining companies come to take by whatever means avaiable land from indigenous communities, killing their leaders, paying them nothing, and then destroying the entire place by open pit mining operatiosn ,while dumping all their chemicals in rivers and lake.

This is for getting the precious aluminium for laptops, so people in the first world can feel cool and rave about "great built quality".

Overpriced software? Give me a break.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:00 am

tedlogan wrote:
nathannn wrote:

If you can't afford the software nor the hardware, well that's just tough fuckin shit. You must be a subtle troll though, you're too ridiculous to be real. Idealistic unrealistic hippie. What if I can't afford a Gibson guitar? I'm oppressed! hahaha
Its tough shit in your world but in the real world if you can't afford software its cracked and you can get it for free its "illegal" but its completely moral and commendable and it only becomes "tough shit" for the developer that refuses to make their software affordable to everyone. If you don't like that then "tough shit" right back at you strong man.
Does it piss you off when other people who have the same skill set as you have the same opportunities as you? Im not going to get into the differences between a fucking gibson guitar and a piece of software because they are night and fucking day and should be obvious to any capitalist simpleton.
I take being called a hippie as a complement.. unrealistic? You are the one not realizing the world does not need to operate on greed and elitism, you are the one who can't see beyond the world they were born into.
Last edited by nathannn on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

no computers or synths

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:09 am

login wrote:
nathannn wrote:

Opression? LOL

You need some perspective on what poverty and opression is.

Opression is when Mining companies come to take by whatever means avaiable land from indigenous communities, killing their leaders, paying them nothing, and then destroying the entire place by open pit mining operatiosn ,while dumping all their chemicals in rivers and lake.

This is for getting the precious aluminium for laptops, so people in the first world can feel cool and rave about "great built quality".

Overpriced software? Give me a break.
Just because some one is not getting poked by flaming hot iron rod does not mean they are without oppression.

From wikipedia: Oppression is the exercise of authority or power in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner.[1] It can also be defined as an act or instance of oppressing, the state of being oppressed, and the feeling of being heavily burdened, mentally or physically, by troubles, adverse conditions, and anxiety.

If a person is experiencing any of the above and another person has the means for them to avoid or get out of the position of experiencing the above and does not give the person the means to do so they are oppressing that person or they are a contributor to the oppression.

Again just because you can't see any other world order because you are stuck believing the one you are born into is the only way, does not mean another doesn't exist. There is enough of everything in this world for everyone. Don't be a slave who beats a slave for the masters enjoyment, only to be beaten by another slave when the master has had enough of you.
Last edited by nathannn on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

no computers or synths

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:13 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:
nathannn wrote:Why were they all shitting on the op?
Ableton live is too expensive, hes right.
Abletons market is mostly musicians and musicians starting out usually don't have a lot of money.
These assholes that were telling him to "get a job" are not realizing that a musician can not only be a job but also business.
No kid nor poor person should feel guilty for downloading "illegal" copies of anything especially when the software can be used to get out of poverty or at least escape the weight of poverty for a few hours. You shouldn't feel bad breaking a law if it will help a human. You especially should feel good breaking laws that hurt humans.

These software companies know that they could charge an amount for the software where everyone could afford it and still make their greedy profit.
Its just Elitism The 3 people that are the heads of Ableton know this.

I dont care about the childish argument of "well its mine and I can charge whatever I want", If you have a tool that is useful to the human race but will only let the human race use it at a price that puts it out of reach of most people you are no better than the health care business of the U.S. You have something and you are dangling it in front of people who have a need for it Fuck You.

Low cost software being successful on the ipad is proof that charging hundreds of dollars for software is unneeded and an old elitist business model.
All software will be free after the revolution. The bit about the ipad is a bit iffy though. Most people can't afford one of those.
Im not saying it has to be free Im saying it should be affordable to everyone.
In a utopian world and in a just world it would be traded for services or currency, not sold for a profit. Profit would not exist in a just world only equal trade would exist because profit is a scam.

You are right though about most people not being able to afford an ipad which is a scandalous especially when one of the ipads key points in marketing is that its a tool for education and a tool that can be used to help people with disabilities.
Its sick to think that the company that is so "loving" would create this and price it out of reach of the people who make it.
I really think a lot of humans have the mind of a rabid dog or a hyena when it comes to justice and doing what is right for people.

no computers or synths