man, live gear can really get out of hand

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:15 pm

I would go to as many live PA shows in the area as possible, and talk to the musicians who are doing it. These kinds of shows are harder to find, but they're definitely out there. It's good that you'll have to work harder to find them. It'll make it all the more sweet.

I would also strongly suggest partnering with another person and make a band of it.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:00 pm

of course, the chems' gear is not actually plugged in ;)

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:03 pm

snakedogman wrote:of course, the chems' gear is not actually plugged in ;)
Must be using batteries then, those LED's dont light up themselves :wink:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:47 pm

Honestly if you want to bring gear to a show, never see yourself as an "asshole" etc. There are relatively few non-musicians who are offended by a big set up, and a lot of them look at a guy playing a laptop as boring, and think he's just playing Winamp/iTunes. Only other musicians get all amped up about having a slim set up, your audience will be more convinced you're putting effort into it.

Also, I used to play in rock and metal bands, try carrying around a 200 watt Marshall Major head and a stack of speaker, (+ 200lbs) then realize a couple keyboards and a rack is cake.

Airports are a different story, make me think about having a touring rig and a local rig..... or investing in ATA cases.......

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:10 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Also, I used to play in rock and metal bands, try carrying around a 200 watt Marshall Major head and a stack of speaker, (+ 200lbs) then realize a couple keyboards and a rack is cake.

+1 I play in a Rock/Indie band now and my bass rig is a pain in the ass to carry around. Still... i'm always setup before the drummer! :D

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:20 pm

lunabass wrote:i think the only question you need to ask yourself is if you think you will tweak it all during a live set or not. if you dont actually get hands on with a piece of equipment then you have to ask yourself if the sounds would be better just coming straight out of live instead of lugging the gear around.
yeah I've already pondered that, the gear I'm bringing is the gear I'll be tweaking for sure. when I practice tracks in my studio I get very hands on with everything.

the gear I wouldn't bring is the nord lead and the juno and a few other things. the micro modular replaced the nord lead for live use and the juno is best left as ableton tracks as I don't like to tweak it so much
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:25 pm

you know theres always been a small fear in the back of my mind that the more gear I bring on stage the greater the expectation for the music is. I don't want people thinking "looks like he spent a fortune on that stuff to make mediocre music.."
silly fear though.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:40 am

Bring it All John.
no Fear!!

-h

former presentations:
.roland xp-50 workstation
.kaoss pad
.electric guitar
.acoustic guitar
.theremin
.P.O.D
.behringer little mixer
.desktop computer
.film projector
.projector screen
.stands
.sheets
.brown pants
:twisted:
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:52 am

funky shit wrote:
the chems are infamous and notorious for 90% of the show coming off DAT or hard disk.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:55 am

adventurepants_ wrote:
funky shit wrote:
the chems are infamous and notorious for 90% of the show coming off DAT or hard disk.
Source

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:12 am

funky shit wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:
funky shit wrote: Must be using batteries then, those LED's dont light up themselves :wink:
Source
cant prove it, just based on various livePA forum scuttlebut and what I saw live. For a show of that magnitude, i dont see how two guys could be doing more than tweaking filters and muting tracks. though on the most recent tour, they seem to be geting out the front with drum pads/mini synths, maybe to hit back at these rumours?

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:33 am

funky shit wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:
funky shit wrote: Must be using batteries then, those LED's dont light up themselves :wink:
Source
i heard this straight from one of the live sound tech's that assisted them during the 2005 Big Day Out tour here in oz and nz.
he had pride of place in the mixing booth for 6 major shows in 6 different capital cities and everyone of them was exactly the same. most of what happened during that tour was pre recorded.

i should just say that i personally have no real problem with this. their show was absolutely awesome. the way they moved from one track into another and some of the remixes/mashups kept the vibe going for waht turned out to be fantastic hour of music...at the end of the day thats all that really matters
:: Current Releases ::
lunabass - Beatport
www.lunabass.com
www.theteahauss.com

forge

Post by forge » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:47 am

Johnisfaster wrote:you know theres always been a small fear in the back of my mind that the more gear I bring on stage the greater the expectation for the music is. I don't want people thinking "looks like he spent a fortune on that stuff to make mediocre music.."
silly fear though.
I've been thinking about this a bit lately - that the new music industry is totally different and it's pretty much a given now you'll never earn a living from selling recordings, but people will pay for a unique experience, whether it be a limited edition collectable or a live show. That Madonna signed her last deal with a touring company rather than a record company is telling I think

the point being, I'm beginning to think it is worthwhile going the extra step for the Live show as that is what will set you apart

even if a certain amount of it is show and you're not squeezing every ounce of potential out of each bit of kit, the spectacle is what makes the show interesting

course it depends what you're doing - if it's a DJ style set it might not be necessary to go mad

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:18 am

the mixing of all these sound sources needs considering also. a good sound engineer who shares your passion and wont murder your mix during a gig would be a good thing.

i used to mix on stage in my very first live incarnation but never felt very confident that the mix i had on stage sounded any good for the crowd. i guess if you were willing to carry your own monitoring system then you could at least get a consistent mix happening from venue to venue.

regardless of all this, i think what you're attempting to do here sounds awesome. best of luck with it and make sure you post up some footage for us :D
:: Current Releases ::
lunabass - Beatport
www.lunabass.com
www.theteahauss.com

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:14 am

lunabass, is there any real LivePA scene as such in Adelaide? Id love to get out and see what others are doing but I find it real hard to find any talk of it. the street press (as you know) is really all about bands or dj's.